an tha

January 2022 Transfer Thread

38 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

And then it will be a twenty year old from the worst team in Germany and Kris Boyd on loan.

I'm so signing-starved, I'd actually be able to convince myself that either of those would be shrewd acquisitions. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah we won’t be signing anyone in January unless all four of Mane, Firmino, Jota and Salah are ruled out for the season.

And then it will be a twenty year old from the worst team in Germany and Kris Boyd on loan.

Or another minamino "who we can't possibly lose money on"

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be fair vvd was only a January signing because we'd fucked the summer up so badly.

And weren't coutinho and strurridge on the back of the "apology" summer window? And Suarez happened because we lost Torres. It doesn't fill me with enormous confidence we'll be looking for anyone. 

I thought the idea was to pair Suarez with Torres. Carroll happened because we lost Torres.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah we won’t be signing anyone in January unless all four of Mane, Firmino, Jota and Salah are ruled out for the season.

Both signed on 31st January.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I thought the idea was to pair Suarez with Torres. Carroll happened because we lost Torres.

This is right. 

Suarez came in before Torres was sold off, but we knew it was going to happen. Was just a question of 'how much' at that point.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be fair vvd was only a January signing because we'd fucked the summer up so badly.

And weren't coutinho and strurridge on the back of the "apology" summer window? And Suarez happened because we lost Torres. It doesn't fill me with enormous confidence we'll be looking for anyone. 

Coutinho was opportunistic just like Suarez though. One couldn't get a game and was available on the cheap (was he under Rafa at the time?) and one had a bad rep.

Its a damn shame we don't use our power and status as a Club to sell oursleves to potential recruits. Instead we look for the easy route through. We are a desirable destination.

I thought with the Nike deal, the momentum of winning some big trophies we would be acting like we were the place to be.

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I thought with the Nike deal, the momentum of winning some big trophies we would be acting like we were the place to be.

That's a big disappointment, for sure. We could and should have spent the last couple of transfer windows strutting like Bart and saying "Do you want to play for the best club in the world, or do you want to remain a loser?" (or words to that effect).

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's a big disappointment, for sure. We could and should have spent the last couple of transfer windows strutting like Bart and saying "Do you want to play for the best club in the world, or do you want to remain a loser?" (or words to that effect).

Deffo mate. I think we undersell ourselves. Even when we were not really winning stuff, apart from Hodgson, we have the history, status and pull. We need to act like we are a big club.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

We'd offered and stopped bidding at about 12m for Suarez. Then the bid came in from Chelsea and we stuck 10m on our bidding price for Suarez. That deal, wouldn't have happened without the Torres money, the rest was the start of the FSG PR. 

What happened to noises surrounding Matheus Cunha? Young. Good prospect with room for Klopp improvement. Seemed to be available for a reasonable price.

Any chance of looking at him In January?

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

What happened to noises surrounding Matheus Cunha? Young. Good prospect with room for Klopp improvement. Seemed to be available for a reasonable price.

If he costs money then I'd say that will be a No.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Mark M said:

If he costs money then I'd say that will be a No.

Yeah, thanks for pointing out the flaw in my otherwise decent plan.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Anubis said:

He’s just signed for Atletico

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shithouse Cunts said:

Yeah I like to refer to them as Ath rather than Atleti/Atletico, i'm odd like that.

As long as they don't try to sign Firminho...

5 hours ago, Pidge said:

Suarez came in before Torres was sold off, but we knew it was going to happen. Was just a question of 'how much' at that point.

I still don't believe it has. I'm not having it. 

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I remember at the time being so pissed of we'd spent £35 million on Carroll because we could have got Aguero for a similar amount. Imagine how differently things could have played out if we'd sold Torres and Babel and replaced them with Suarez and Aguero. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I remember at the time being so pissed of we'd spent £35 million on Carroll because we could have got Aguero for a similar amount. Imagine how differently things could have played out if we'd sold Torres and Babel and replaced them with Suarez and Aguero. 

I can remember being so pissed off we bought Carroll because he was fucking shite. 

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Toshack Keegan, Carroll Suarez is the parallel I would guess (wasn't Carroll a Dalglish signing)

Falls apart because Carroll was shit though.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I can remember being so pissed off we bought Carroll because he was fucking shite. 

Pound for pound, he is a strong contender for worst ever transfer!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I remember trying to be positive and trying to explain it away with ‘well, the King has a plan. Downing pumping crosses in for Wor Andy, anything that doesn’t go in Suarez will clear up.  #19 incoming.’

Oh, how very wrong my delusion was.