You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

17 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

One of the main three will be cut loose in the summer imo.

I agree and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nkunku (mentioned above) was on the list of players we'll be looking at.

In fact, if you want a prediction, I think it'll be Mane who is sold. We'll use the money to buy someone younger and re-sign Salah. If I were in the DOF's shoes, I'd be mightily tempted to do it the other way around as we'd get huge money for Mo (and we won't for Sadio) but that's what I think it will be.

After what we've seen with Sancho this season, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Mane has been running teams ragged for the last month. It's not just the goals, it's the relentlessness of the way he plays. It's not like Nkunku would cost £80m either. We can probably sign Nkunku in the summer, and keep the rest of the front line as is. 

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

After what we've seen with Sancho this season, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Mane has been running teams ragged for the last month. It's not just the goals, it's the relentlessness of the way he plays. It's not like Nkunku would cost £80m either. We can probably sign Nkunku in the summer, and keep the rest of the front line as is. 

Nah, almost certainly not. 

5 hours ago, m0e said:

There is no way Klopp leaves us with the same front 3.

He practically said his mandate upon signing the extension was to build the next side.

We'll see. I don't ever really remember hearing him say that to be honest. And maybe it was the plan before fsg shut down spending further because of covid and he lost 2 summer windows and greater change. He's only got 2 summer windows left and there's a hell of a lot of work to do to build a 2nd side. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'll see. I don't ever really remember hearing him say that to be honest. And maybe it was the plan before fsg shut down spending further because of covid and he lost 2 summer windows and greater change. He's only got 2 summer windows left and there's a hell of a lot of work to do to build a 2nd side. 

I found the quotes.

Klopp said: “This squad in the moment is outstanding, we all love it, but we have to stay on track as other teams don’t sleep and we don’t sleep. We have to see what we change, what we don’t change. All of these decisions should be made out of a real comfortable situation. When you are in, you should be responsible for all that stuff and I feel responsible for it. When I leave at any point in my life it is important that it is still in a very good place.

“We will have to refresh things in moments. This team will always be the core set, the basis for all other teams following, and there is no need to make the same number of changes that we made in the last four and a half years in the next four and a half years. Absolutely not. This is an outstanding team but of course there will be things. 

And while trying I found this:

On whether he would like the Germany job after leaving Anfield, Klopp added: “If it’s the end for me at Liverpool in 2024, then I’ll have a year off first."

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

I found the quotes.

Klopp said: “This squad in the moment is outstanding, we all love it, but we have to stay on track as other teams don’t sleep and we don’t sleep. We have to see what we change, what we don’t change. All of these decisions should be made out of a real comfortable situation. When you are in, you should be responsible for all that stuff and I feel responsible for it. When I leave at any point in my life it is important that it is still in a very good place.

“We will have to refresh things in moments. This team will always be the core set, the basis for all other teams following, and there is no need to make the same number of changes that we made in the last four and a half years in the next four and a half years. Absolutely not. This is an outstanding team but of course there will be things. 

And while trying I found this:

On whether he would like the Germany job after leaving Anfield, Klopp added: “If it’s the end for me at Liverpool in 2024, then I’ll have a year off first."

Cheers..I didn't remember him saying that. Fingers crossed with the 2 of those things he feels he needs a bit longer here to finish building the 2nd team. 

• Upvote 1

It'll be hard to replace any of the 3. Firmino because he offers that quality false 9 alternative that is hard to find. Mane because he's a 2 in 1 player. Someone who can play wide, beat markers, cross the ball in and track back and he's also a forward with a goal threat in the box. Salah because obviously his numbers are incredible.

That said, Jota will provide insurance and I'm sure Klopp will find the right player(s). 

37 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Gallagher is the one for me.

Chelsea won’t sell us their best youngsters. Cantwell has a bit of Lallana to him and despite him getting broken a lot Klopp clearly liked Lallana. Ward-Prowse would be my homegrown quota booster as he would be great cover for Thiago and could play alongside him but there’s no way we’d drop £50m on him. Same with McGinn.

12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Wouldn't be shocked at all if Todd Cantwell was brought in this summer. His contract is up this year. Young potential,good sell on and fills the home grown slots if Milner/Ox move on.

Wouldn't go near Cantwelll. A flaxen-haired show pony.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Chelsea won’t sell us their best youngsters. Cantwell has a bit of Lallana to him and despite him getting broken a lot Klopp clearly liked Lallana. Ward-Prowse would be my homegrown quota booster as he would be great cover for Thiago and could play alongside him but there’s no way we’d drop £50m on him. Same with McGinn.

I don't rate any of those players, but would mcginn even help with homegrown? 

My opinion? We should not sell Gomez. He's a cracking player who just needs to get his match fitness back after his lengthy injury. He's here for the long term.

Nor should we be signing any bang average/weak as piss, flaxon haired show ponies with British passports.

2 centre midfielders (1 primarily attacking, the other primarily defensive), and another forward.

Not especially arsed where they're from but would much rather not pay the "English tax" premium for overrated do nothing youngsters.