You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

Both of you are right, of course. It's just weird that even our transfer failures make us come out of each saga smelling of roses. We initially wanted Gotze instead of Mane, but he rejected us for Dortmund. He never rekindled his earlier form, and Mane became a superstar. We failed to bring in Alex Teixeira early in Klopp's tenure because we got gazumped by a Chinese Super League club at the last minute. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

We bid £65m for Thomas Lemar, and he even had an impromptu medical done at France's training camp. Monaco pulled the deal at the last minute, and he went to Atletico instead. He hasn't exactly set the world alight since. Nabil Fekir was signed, sealed and delivered, by all accounts, until his brother demanded more money and scuppered the deal at the last minute. He's aimlessly plying his trade in La Liga nowadays. We didn't sign Werner because we couldn't pay Leipzig the money upfront. He ends up a massive flop at Chelsea. Instead, we sign some unheralded squad player from Wolves because they will agree to take £4m for the first year. He becomes one of the best players in the league.

It's incredible this streak we're on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Boss said:

Both of you are right, of course. It's just weird that even our transfer failures make us come out of each saga smelling of roses. We initially wanted Gotze instead of Mane, but he rejected us for Dortmund. He never rekindled his earlier form, and Mane became a superstar. We failed to bring in Alex Teixeira early in Klopp's tenure because we got gazumped by a Chinese Super League club at the last minute. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

We bid £65m for Thomas Lemar, and he even had an impromptu medical done at France's training camp. Monaco pulled the deal at the last minute, and he went to Atletico instead. He hasn't exactly set the world alight since. Nabil Fekir was signed, sealed and delivered, by all accounts, until his brother demanded more money and scuppered the deal at the last minute. He's aimlessly plying his trade in La Liga nowadays. We didn't sign Werner because we couldn't pay Leipzig the money upfront. He ends up a massive flop at Chelsea. Instead, we sign some unheralded squad player from Wolves because they will agree to take £4m for the first year. He becomes one of the best players in the league.

When you say it like that though, it feels a hell of a lot of luck over judgement. 

• Upvote 1

I’d put it down to a combination of Klopp’s management, our scouting and luck. Keita is our only big money arrival who hasn’t lived up to expectations.

Tsimikas looks like he can actually challenge Robbo for his spot - both of them bought for next to nothing - yet he was second choice after some kid from Norwich. 

Was Salah second choice to somebody else too, or am I remembering incorrectly?

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’d put it down to a combination of Klopp’s management, our scouting and luck. Keita is our only big money arrival who hasn’t lived up to expectations.

Tsimikas looks like he can actually challenge Robbo for his spot - both of them bought for next to nothing - yet he was second choice after some kid from Norwich. 

Did he not want Brandt at some stage.

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Klopp undoubtedly plays a part. 

I think Salah was someone klopp made the recruitment team work for to convince him he was good enough. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Wijnaldum was another one, we were in for Zielinski before him but he went to Napoli as we weren't prepared to pay what they would.

Zielinski's a decent player but I don't think he'd have been as good for us as Wijnaldum was.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Boss said:

I think the explanation is quite simple. It isn’t mainly about the scouting and selecting the right players. It’s mainly about what happens after they arrive. The whole setup here, the coaching, the diets, the tactics, the atmosphere and morale within the group is what separates us from the rest. And Klopp of course is the main man behind the whole thing.

Dont get me wrong, the scouting and transfers are important. Choosing the right players, not least with the right mentality, is important. But that’s not where the real difference lies in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

We should be all over Joao Felix, perfect replacement for Bobby imo… 

He wants out at Atletico, can’t say anyone can blame him playing in a side serving up that shite every week.

That would be a BIG wedge - they paid a shitload for him and he makes more now than we are talking about paying Mo.

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

We‘ll never know for sure, but Klopp may very well have got much more of a tune out of most if not all the players listed above, had they come here instead.

Without a doubt mate. I also think that our scouting is so sharp that there’s an almost negligible difference in quality between the first, second and third choices. 

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Without a doubt mate. I also think that our scouting is so sharp that there’s an almost negligible difference in quality between the first, second and third choices. 

The interesting thing is they're often different types of players, yet klopp just seems to work it out and find a way to make them work. Keita, Shaq and minamino are 3 obvious ones he's struggled with, but as the latter 2 cost 20m between them, we can perhaps read something into that. 

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

We‘ll never know for sure, but Klopp may very well have got much more of a tune out of most if not all the players listed above, had they come here instead.

Most signings under Klopp will work as long as the player can physically and technically do what he wants.

The one that wouldn't have made sense was Gotze, who had an illness and was already on the decline. But even that, Klopp would have just used him as a teacher to other players because he already knew his style.

8 hours ago, Boss said:

Lemar looked brilliant against us in fairness.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's reports he's signing for Fiorentina.

On his best day, he's extremely dangerous on the counter, but he has little end product. He's generally frustrating to watch.

Ah ok. Last night was the first time Ive watched him. Seems to have talent it's a shame if it is being wasted.

If we do sell Origi in Jan I hope we tell whoever it is that it'll be the end of the month as we need him during the ACON. Having said that I'm not sure Origi agrees to go anyway if it's Newcastle level team unless they offer him huge wages. Why would you when your in with a shot of trophies