You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

On 13/11/2021 at 01:24, m0e said:

He started 7 in the league (taken off before 70 in 4 of them) and 3 in the CL.

He has 3 goals and 1 assist from 14 appearances, including a total fluke at the Kop end.

If he's "top quality", so is Divok Origi.

That's never been in doubt.

2 hours ago, Boss said:

I know. It was a mistake. Gini is better suited for us, he wants to come back and Thiago probably wants to leave for Barcelona. It makes sense for all parties. 

No, it doesn't, because we willingly let Gini leave. Why would we want him back after the two parties separated in the way they did?

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Because we decided not to pay him his money. The club clearly never rated him that highly. If they did, he wouldn't have been on his first contract and then let go for free. 

Or the owners are mingebags and are hoping Klopp can keep us top 4 on a shoestring budget. What Gini did for us speaks for itself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

Or the owners are mingebags and are hoping Klopp can keep us top 4 on a shoestring budget. What Gini did for us speaks for itself.

Yes, sure, whatever party you want to blame. It doesn't really matter. The club didn't want to pay him and he got his money elsewhere. So we move on.

If Thiago wants to go and Barcelona can afford him, I'd cut our losses and let him go. 

In terms of a replacement we need to find the next Wijnaldum, not the present one. He's 31 now and we already have an ageing starting lineup. 

If we really wanted Gini to stay, then we would have paid him the wages that he wanted as we did with Fabinho, Henderson etc in the summer. 

My gut feeling is that Klopp was happy to let him go. I know he played the majority of games last season, but if we hadn't lost Thiago to injury and all our centre backs, I doubt he would have featured anywhere near as much. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

"Klopp has a slight shortage of attacking options, a situation that will be exacerbated as the AFCON rolls around and that could give Caoimhin Kelleher a chance in a more advanced role. "Liverpool could well discover their very own John Aldridge in the process." [BenBallsack] https://t.co/R137mG9pLw

Brilliant.

2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

"Klopp has a slight shortage of attacking options, a situation that will be exacerbated as the AFCON rolls around and that could give Caoimhin Kelleher a chance in a more advanced role. "Liverpool could well discover their very own John Aldridge in the process." [BenBallsack] https://t.co/R137mG9pLw

I suspect Kelleher’s passing and vision would be superior to Ox’s.

• Upvote 1

On 15/11/2021 at 20:07, m0e said:

I love the ongoing Gini Wijnaldum debate. It's so interesting and refreshing.

I know a lot of this has been gone through already many times, but I’d like to start a quick thread summarising points that have been made thousands of times already. Thread contains graphs, charts and heat maps 1/42