You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

The midfield is a worry which I hope we look to add to this January, we will require some heavy investment at some point. GK and defence seem fine. Prob need at least contributing CM with jones and Elliot getting more game time once we Vin off kieta and ox. Up front we prob need one more option and we’ll look to offload minamino for the slot. Hopefully salah signs a deal and then I’ll be comfortable and even happy to keep Origi unless someone meets our valuation. 

that’s a  fair bit of transition required for our team in the next couple of windows. I just can’t see us doing it.

13 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

The midfield is a worry which I hope we look to add to this January, we will require some heavy investment at some point. GK and defence seem fine. Prob need at least contributing CM with jones and Elliot getting more game time once we Vin off kieta and ox. Up front we prob need one more option and we’ll look to offload minamino for the slot. Hopefully salah signs a deal and then I’ll be comfortable and even happy to keep Origi unless someone meets our valuation. 

that’s a  fair bit of transition required for our team in the next couple of windows. I just can’t see us doing it.

Goalie and defence is basically sorted for the next 3 or 4 years, apart from maybe a back up right back.

Definitely will need a couple of starter quality midfielders and forwards in that time period. One a season would probably do it, unless a couple of big players leave (I.e. Mo).

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

My boy Carvalho from Fulham is back, another 10 minutes under my watchful eye. In a contract stand off according to the commentary, we need to buy him.

He does look like he should be a target. Talented, young home grown player (I imagine) with his contract running out.

18 hours ago, JagSquared said:

I think we will probably continue with the strategy that has seen us develop such a quality squad - mostly young (but not super-young, like 21-22 year old players who have proven themselves) potential that we buy for 1-2 years from the window we buy them in, and then occasionally when a can't-miss comes along, a huge splash.

I think with the emergence of Curtis and Harvey in midfield, we probably only need one more there to be set for 5 years. Gravenberch, maybe? Or even Bellingham? Would be a major van Dijk-level transfer, but not impossible. Just not one we'll do often.

The front 3 is the one that concerns me with all of them aging at the same time, but it's not an emergency right now. Just would be good to buy another Jota-level player who is maybe 21-23 who can develop into a starter right as Mane/Salah age out of being one. But I'd be shocked if we were looking at that in January.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think we will probably continue with the strategy that has seen us develop such a quality squad - mostly young (but not super-young, like 21-22 year old players who have proven themselves) potential that we buy for 1-2 years from the window we buy them in, and then occasionally when a can't-miss comes along, a huge splash.

I think with the emergence of Curtis and Harvey in midfield, we probably only need one more there to be set for 5 years. Gravenberch, maybe? Or even Bellingham? Would be a major van Dijk-level transfer, but not impossible. Just not one we'll do often.

The front 3 is the one that concerns me with all of them aging at the same time, but it's not an emergency right now. Just would be good to buy another Jota-level player who is maybe 21-23 who can develop into a starter right as Mane/Salah age out of being one. But I'd be shocked if we were looking at that in January.

We need a big transfer in midfield next summer, preferably a 23-24 year old who is ready to be a star. There's only Fabinho there who is in his mid to late 20's prime and is a reliable performer. Keita doesn't count and everybody else is a kid or in their 30's. 

The forwards are still performing for now, that ageing problem is for later. There we could definitely use a younger talented player eventually, though as you said. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Can't really be any excuses next summer the club needs to spend. We are top class but there's obvious flaws, bizarre not to address them. The same as last summer, Midfield and Bobby's position. I'm not having Jota central. 

Is it next year that's Klopps last year?

Klopps got 2 years after this season 

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Can't really be any excuses next summer the club needs to spend. We are top class but there's obvious flaws, bizarre not to address them. The same as last summer, Midfield and Bobby's position. I'm not having Jota central. 

It may be bizarre not to address issues but that’s how we roll.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This is what people say every year. 

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We need a big transfer in midfield next summer, preferably a 23-24 year old who is ready to be a star. There's only Fabinho there who is in his mid to late 20's prime and is a reliable performer. Keita doesn't count and everybody else is a kid or in their 30's. 

The forwards are still performing for now, that ageing problem is for later. There we could definitely use a younger talented player eventually, though as you said. 

Spot on. The midfield is a fucking mess. Henderson is holding it together at the moment, but he's another who's always a heartbeat away from another 3 months out.

Curtis is obviously going to be inconsistent, very few of his age are anything but. You want to start him in games, but you need to be able to do it with players on the bench, so if he's off it, you can replace him if we need to find a win (like yesterday).

Chamberlain is done at this level. Keita can't stay fit. Thiago breaks a fingernail and is out for a month. If milner has to play 3 in a week his leg falls off. Fab has his couple of 4-6 weeks injuries each season. 

And as for Elliot, he doesn't count for me, he's played a couple of games in his brief career in that position. He's had a major injury and it's just not easy for players to come back as they were and certainly not quickly. We're seeing it with vvd now and chamberlain has never come back from his injury. I know they're different problems, but there's been loads of promising 18 year olds over the years who get a broken leg or ankle and never reach their potential. 

We need a midfielder who can drop right in. We needed one in the summer. And aside from Henderson, fabinho & the 2 kids, any of the others can go to make it happen. 

• Upvote 2

I hope that the club have something in the pipeline for January to bring in at least one midfielder and perhaps 1 more attacker. There seemed to be an air of hope last season that the central defensive situation would resolve itself naturally, and then very late in the day we brought in reinforcements when it became crystal clear that we were all out of solutions - one of whom was a stop-gap who did OK but was never a long-term consideration, and the other never made an appearance even when the alternative was playing midfielders back there.

I don't want to see us crippled by a lack of bodies in midfield caused by every single available option having durability issues. Harvey's absence was caused by a freak injury and there's not much evidence to suggest Curtis has recurrent issues but if he is overplayed, he could struggle too.

We could also do with bringing in one or two homegrown players in that age group where they are neither academy level nor seasoned pros. Guys that are around the same age as Trent or Big Joe, basically, who could bring some real depth to the squad.

Jude Bellingham is the one. It’ll be difficult and blinking expensive but the club needs to doing everything it can to get this lad. 

I hear his dad is a huge United fan but if the lad and those around him choose head over heart we’d be in the mix. 

The numbers will be a problem, as will getting Dortmund to sell before the summer of 2023, but some long games are worth it.

We won’t pay what they want. Our transfer strategy is to find the next Jude Bellingham before they become Jude Bellingham. But, like with Bellingham, instead of moving for him when Dortmund did, we will instead say that we needed to see him at a proper level to make sure he’s a genuine talent, and like Bellingham he’ll go somewhere and prove it and then he’ll be out of our transfer fee range and we’ ll be looking for the next….

You get the picture.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

We won’t pay what they want. Our transfer strategy is to find the next Jude Bellingham before they become Jude Bellingham. But, like with Bellingham, instead of moving for him when Dortmund did, we will instead say that we needed to see him at a proper level to make sure he’s a genuine talent, and like Bellingham he’ll go somewhere and prove it and then he’ll be out of our transfer fee range and we’ ll be looking for the next….

You get the picture.

Jobe Bellingham it is then…

6AA34910-855B-4B53-BAD5-69CD6D0A9ED6.jpeg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yep. Might put players off joining with only 12 months of Kloppo.

We aren’t signing anybody in January, as we never do but maybe we could get a loan in just to bulk up the midfield options.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

I hope that the club have something in the pipeline for January to bring in at least one midfielder and perhaps 1 more attacker. There seemed to be an air of hope last season that the central defensive situation would resolve itself naturally, and then very late in the day we brought in reinforcements when it became crystal clear that we were all out of solutions - one of whom was a stop-gap who did OK but was never a long-term consideration, and the other never made an appearance even when the alternative was playing midfielders back there.

I don't want to see us crippled by a lack of bodies in midfield caused by every single available option having durability issues. Harvey's absence was caused by a freak injury and there's not much evidence to suggest Curtis has recurrent issues but if he is overplayed, he could struggle too.

We could also do with bringing in one or two homegrown players in that age group where they are neither academy level nor seasoned pros. Guys that are around the same age as Trent or Big Joe, basically, who could bring some real depth to the squad.

I wouldn't have thought the debacle of the last January window will have any impact on the thinking this time around, well except pats on the back all round as we got top 4 on the cheap, so job done. 

Curtis is getting plenty of game time as he did last season. But we can see he is still massively inconsistent, the quality he delivers on a regular basis at this time suggests he is not ready to be a main player in this side. The boy clearly has some talent, but for whatever reason we see good performances about 1 in 4 and the other 3 are varying levels of ordinary.

We have fab, Henderson, Thiago and keita who should be the backbone of this midfield at this point, but we can't keep any of them in the pitch. Fab and keita always need time to find their form when they're back and Thiago was shite for months when returning from his injury last season. It means we rarely get a midfield on the pitch where more than one of them is putting in a performance. We have enough history with all of these players to suggest that isn't going to change and I think klopp fast tracking Elliot ahead of them all at the start of the season showed he felt he needed another player he could rely on and hoped Elliot would be that wild card. 

But I've absolutely no doubt we'll muddle through. We'd probably need at least 2 of them to get vvd level injuries for that to change, as we seem happy to deal with the 4,6,8 week drop outs they all do.