Jump to content
an tha

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Recommended Posts

You're going to see a lot more players making managed moves to transitional teams going forward, especially those promising youngsters who sign up with super agents who want players to make multiple moves in a career.

 

We've seen it with Haaland and now Illax Moriba so I wonder if it's going to become the norm for players that would have once burst on the scene and immediately jumped to top of the tree but will now go to teams that will accept contracts that make it relatively easy to get out of the club.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johnsusername said:

New contracts for the canteen staff - it's gonna be a big new year announcement. 

They are experts at cooking the books for FSG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most of our top players are now tied down long-term, no? Seems to me that our brief this summer was to buy one defender and then instead of buying new players, spend all our money tying all our good young players down to long-term deals. Which is frustrating if you're a transfer muppet (I definitely thought we needed another attacker!) but if you look at the world the way Klopp does it probably makes sense.

 

It's now really just Salah and Mane that we need to sign extensions (contracts end summer 2023). If you look right down our squad, we have a very strong GK/Defense/Midfield locked in for the long-term:

 

Alisson (2027)

 

Trent (2025)  Konate (2026)  van Dijk (2025)  Robertson (2026)

 

Henderson (2025) Fabinho (2026) Elliott (2026) or Jones (2025)

 

Now we face the very difficult task of replacing the forward line. I suspect that the original idea was to sell Salah or Mane to one of the Spanish clubs this summer and start the process, but that Barca being in default and Real saving their money for Mbappe has scuppered that and made it tricky. I suppose the solution is to give Salah big money to lock him down and then sell either Mane or Firmino next summer. Jota coming in and being brilliant is obviously saving us at the moment, but we need another 2 Jotas in the next 2 transfer windows (most likely next summer?).

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think most of our top players are now tied down long-term, no? Seems to me that our brief this summer was to buy one defender and then instead of buying new players, spend all our money tying all our good young players down to long-term deals. Which is frustrating if you're a transfer muppet (I definitely thought we needed another attacker!) but if you look at the world the way Klopp does it probably makes sense.

 

It's now really just Salah and Mane that we need to sign extensions (contracts end summer 2023). If you look right down our squad, we have a very strong GK/Defense/Midfield locked in for the long-term:

 

Alisson (2027)

 

Trent (2025)  Konate (2026)  van Dijk (2025)  Robertson (2026)

 

Henderson (2025) Fabinho (2026) Elliott (2026) or Jones (2025)

 

Now we face the very difficult task of replacing the forward line. I suspect that the original idea was to sell Salah or Mane to one of the Spanish clubs this summer and start the process, but that Barca being in default and Real saving their money for Mbappe has scuppered that and made it tricky. I suppose the solution is to give Salah big money to lock him down and then sell either Mane or Firmino next summer. Jota coming in and being brilliant is obviously saving us at the moment, but we need another 2 Jotas in the next 2 transfer windows (most likely next summer?).

 

So we just need FSG to spend money next summer. Easy.

 

While I agree with the main point of your post, we do have a strong first team tied down but there will be a need to spend on more than just two forwards. The supporting squad will / does need refreshing too and I’m not optimistic that the owners will go for all of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It feels like we are kicking the can down the road. We will get to a point where to improve its going to take wholesale changes. I've no idea how our model can even achieve that. Surely our model is set up for quality improvements over time. Its like a leaking roof it's expensive to fix but if you don't do it now it's going to cost a hell of a lot more money and heartache in the long run. This isn't a whine it's just asking questions. I think this side has already peaked there's signs of leaking so why is it not addressed. Weve had all year not deadline day to work on this. Last season put a magnifying glass on potential problems mistakes are lessons to be learnt from. 

no, no, we won't need wholesale changes, the U16s are looking good and we've cleared a pathway for them. And in January there will be no point signing anyone as the new sporting director might want to take us in a different direction, so much better to keep our powder dry for the big one next summer. 

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think most of our top players are now tied down long-term, no? Seems to me that our brief this summer was to buy one defender and then instead of buying new players, spend all our money tying all our good young players down to long-term deals. Which is frustrating if you're a transfer muppet (I definitely thought we needed another attacker!) but if you look at the world the way Klopp does it probably makes sense.

 

It's now really just Salah and Mane that we need to sign extensions (contracts end summer 2023). If you look right down our squad, we have a very strong GK/Defense/Midfield locked in for the long-term:

 

Alisson (2027)

 

Trent (2025)  Konate (2026)  van Dijk (2025)  Robertson (2026)

 

Henderson (2025) Fabinho (2026) Elliott (2026) or Jones (2025)

 

Now we face the very difficult task of replacing the forward line. I suspect that the original idea was to sell Salah or Mane to one of the Spanish clubs this summer and start the process, but that Barca being in default and Real saving their money for Mbappe has scuppered that and made it tricky. I suppose the solution is to give Salah big money to lock him down and then sell either Mane or Firmino next summer. Jota coming in and being brilliant is obviously saving us at the moment, but we need another 2 Jotas in the next 2 transfer windows (most likely next summer?).

 

So you are not concerned our front 3 are currently all on the 2 year wind down to a Gini? Now even if we could say it looks like Mane and Firmino have dropped from the levels they were at, so we don't want to pin them down, they still have to be replaced and we won't do that by selling origi and chamberlain. It's a fucking ludicrous situation we're allowing ourselves to get in, with Klopp out of the door in May 2024. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, andyj said:

bloody hell January transfer thread ive not gotten over the summer one yet 

There’s a few on here, still not over the collapse of the Frank Worthington deal. 
 

These threads are a form of self flagellation for those posters. To be fair to the boss man, he doesn’t charge them any extra for access. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread where they’ll be no talk about Mbappe, despite him being on a “free” and being used as a reason for not spending for several years.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be surprised if they spend anything of note in the summer either. I've already seen an article today about how Harvey Elliott is going to save the club millions. 

 

There will be some doom monger story about finances being leaked in March or April. 

 

Don't forget that the World cup is in December next year so the likes of Pearce and Paul Gorst will probably say that it's like a mid winter sunshine break for a lot of players who will come back rejuvenated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Grinch said:

The thread where they’ll be no talk about Mbappe, despite him being on a “free” and being used as a reason for not spending for several years.

Haaland will be the new Mbappe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I'll be surprised if they spend anything of note in the summer either. I've already seen an article today about how Harvey Elliott is going to save the club millions. 

 

There will be some doom monger story about finances being leaked in March or April. 

 

Don't forget that the World cup is in December next year so the likes of Pearce and Paul Gorst will probably say that it's like a mid winter sunshine break for a lot of players who will come back rejuvenated. 

They'll be able to release the June 21 accounts just as the window opens with the full season without crowds included. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

You're going to see a lot more players making managed moves to transitional teams going forward, especially those promising youngsters who sign up with super agents who want players to make multiple moves in a career.

 

We've seen it with Haaland and now Illax Moriba so I wonder if it's going to become the norm for players that would have once burst on the scene and immediately jumped to top of the tree but will now go to teams that will accept contracts that make it relatively easy to get out of the club.

 

F7438915-7977-40A2-843B-F0A4710FCC41.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×