You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

27 minutes ago, Boss said:

Is it just me who thinks Kalvin Phillips is average as fuck? I'd be furious if we bought him for any amount of money, let alone £60m. He's bobbins.

He's a holding midfielder who runs a lot and has a decent long pass on him. He's max a 30-35m player. For that kind of fee, you could live with it. We don't really need a midfielder of his profile, though. He couldn't play in front of Fabinho for us, doesn't have the attacking ability.

42 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's a holding midfielder who runs a lot and has a decent long pass on him. He's max a 30-35m player. For that kind of fee, you could live with it. We don't really need a midfielder of his profile, though. He couldn't play in front of Fabinho for us, doesn't have the attacking ability.

He's quite a physical presence as well, decent at getting a foot in and in the air.  He doesn't run very fast though, so you'd need the other two in there to do most of the dynamic shit as well as the creative stuff, while he plodded up and down.  Agree we don't need him as he'd only fit in the Fabinho position, and Fab is way better.  

This seems to be the new standard format on the BBC gossip page. Insert name and made up transfer fee as appropriate.

Liverpool have joined Manchester United in the battle to sign **** and **** midfielder ***********, in a £***deal.

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

This seems to be the new standard format on the BBC gossip page. Insert name and made up transfer fee as appropriate.

Liverpool have joined Manchester United in the battle to sign **** and **** midfielder ***********, in a £***deal.

But is *********** any good? 

9 hours ago, Anubis said:

I support ********* FC not ********* FC

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Boss said:

Is it just me who thinks Kalvin Phillips is average as fuck? I'd be furious if we bought him for any amount of money, let alone £60m. He's bobbins.

i do not get excited by him, but i think he is a reasonable footballer. If you told me he was replacing Chamberlain in the squad, I would be really happy with that. I don't know about the 60m aspect like, but then if he is 60m, i would imagine it's shite, because the only way we're paying that is if we're selling someone and who do we have to sell for a high price from our midfield? Just Fab and he's just signed a new contract. 

Phillips impressed me during the Euro's and looked a better player than the £100 million rated Declan Rice. In saying that, Rice has looked really good for West Ham this season whereas of the little I've seen of Phillips he hasn't looked as good as he did for England. I'm sure it's partly to do with the contrasting fortunes of their clubs though, so difficult to make a fair judgement. 

As with all the players we sign these days, If we do go for Phillips, then we've clearly seen something in him that makes him the right fit for what we are looking for. We are going to need to replace Milner, Ox and probably Keita over the next two or three transfer windows so if we think Phillips is a good option, I will go along with it. 

15 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Paying 60ml for Phillips would be insanity 

Just about to turn 26, only 35 top flight games. All the hall marks of a system player/one season flash in the pan. 

It reminds me of the Schneiderlin/Wanyama situation from a few years ago. Played together and sat infront of the back four for Southampton, so United and Spurs bought them and then realised they weren't actually that great if you want your midfield to do anything other than screening and kicking people.

Rice and Phillips' reputations have grown off the back of the Euros where their jobs were to screen a back five. How surprising they didn't concede many playing pretty much a back seven...

Phillips reputation has been built off playing in this Leeds team, not England. I like him, think he'd work in our system too, definitely not just a sit-in and hold crab, he's aggressive in his play and has the technique to turn defence into attack. Rice has actually shown a lot more going forward as well this season, really been impressed by him after a pretty stagnant showing last term. 

The price for either of them would be extortionate.

• Upvote 3

Rice is a class player in the making though. You can see it in the way he commands games for West Ham. Phillips has never commanded a game in his life. He's a non-entity. We're not spending £60m on any midfielder though. We refused to pay more than £20m for Thiago and he was arguably the best midfielder in the world at the time. It's a bullshit story.

Phillips is decent but no way good enough for us. Especially not at his age and the price it would take to get him out of Leeds.

He’s got a decent range of passing, enjoys a tackle and a good appreciation of the tactical element of the role he plays. Seems a decent lad as well.

On the flip side, he lacks a bit of pace, has an iffy disciplinary record (although he seems to be improving in this area) and misses more games than people seem to realise with minor injuries.

He also has a terrible haircut. 

50 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Philips would do fine in our midfield, good technique, good engine, extremely functional. He’s the basic Klopp midfield midfielder. He’s about £40m too expensive to be Fabinho’s understudy though.

He wouldn't even get in our midfield bar injuries.

7 hours ago, Boss said:

Rice is a class player in the making though. You can see it in the way he commands games for West Ham. Phillips has never commanded a game in his life. He's a non-entity. We're not spending £60m on any midfielder though. We refused to pay more than £20m for Thiago and he was arguably the best midfielder in the world at the time. It's a bullshit story.

As I posted the other day, the only way we're paying 60m is if we've a player going out the door for a big number and fsg had always spent in that situation, Torres/Carroll, a million useless cunts from Suarez, bobby from sterling, Ali and vvd from Coutinho. So either it's shite or were moving a big money player out. 

7 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

If Phillips hadn't played at the Euros no-one would be mentioning figures anywhere near £60m. It's an absurd price for a player of his fairly limited ability.

He has played in the euros though, he's a first choice pick ahead of our own captain in that team. Leeds would be mental to settle for less based on that alone.