Jump to content
an tha

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, aRdja said:

This is where I’m at with Taki. Don’t really see the urgency to sell him this window. 

No point selling (anyone) while we ain't buying (anyone)... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’ve only seen comps of his too, but I’m not convinced. His technique is nothing special and he doesn’t seem to be a creative type. Playing him as a number 8 either side of Fabinho would be destructive to our forward play IMO.

I agree with your last sentence actually. I don't think he would be the best choice for us.

 

He is better than you think, though. We just don't really need a player of his profile as we already have Fabinho. He's shown some box to box ability, but at a big club to me he's a #6. Could be wrong, though. He can be a powerful runner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’ve only seen comps of his too, but I’m not convinced. His technique is nothing special and he doesn’t seem to be a creative type. Playing him as a number 8 either side of Fabinho would be destructive to our forward play IMO.

Wasn't sold on Tchouameni but I'm all in after reading this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe - if there's any truth to it - we want to make the midfield more defensive so we can recycle possession higher up the pitch and make the opponent pay with our fullbacks and forwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some apparently reliable Dutch footie Twitter account is claiming that we’ve made “exploratory enquiries” with PSV for their winger Cody Gakpo. 
 

He’s expected to stay until the summer then move on. City and Bayern Munich are meant to be exploratorying him too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boss said:

Maybe - if there's any truth to it - we want to make the midfield more defensive so we can recycle possession higher up the pitch and make the opponent pay with our fullbacks and forwards. 

That would sort of be the opposite to what we've done the last couple of years - in getting Thiago in and then Trent roaming in field more - where we've tried to add more playmaking in midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

That would sort of be the opposite to what we've done the last couple of years - in getting Thiago in and then Trent roaming in field more - where we've tried to add more playmaking in midfield.

 

Possibly it's an attempt to get back to the more workmanlike midfield that won the league. We're scoring enough goals, we're just conceding too many to compete neck and neck with City at the moment. If we tighten up the midfield it might prevent those goals that do get scored because our midfield is too open.

 

Also, if you look at Fabinho, he's actually very creative for a defensive midfielder. He's capable of playing long balls and threading through balls to our forwards if the opportunity arises. Perhaps they think Tchouameni has the ability to be more creative than he's shown so far, and they can bring that out with training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

. We just don't really need a player of his profile as we already have Fabinho. He's shown some box to box ability, but at a big club to me he's a #6. Could be wrong, though. He can be a powerful runner.

 

Considering we don't have a alternative for Fabinho and he misses his fair share of games, and how often he's late back after international football he would surely be useful. Also have another defensive type would be good, he have struggle killing games without Gini about and have plenty of more attacking types with Elliot and Jones about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2022 at 16:31, Scott_M said:

Apparently it’s cites a story in the Echo. Damned if I can find it, so I assume it’s bollocks. 
 

If Traore was £20m and was bought in as an upgrade to Minamino or Origi, I’d likely be Ok with it. However, it would be a signing I’d struggle to get excited about. 
 

B66DF0CE-B312-431C-ABC3-E7E0C5D3E430.png

Is Traore an upgrade? I mean, he's a far better sprinter than Taki or Div, but I'm not sure he's a better footballer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Boss said:

 

Possibly it's an attempt to get back to the more workmanlike midfield that won the league. We're scoring enough goals, we're just conceding too many to compete neck and neck with City at the moment. If we tighten up the midfield it might prevent those goals that do get scored because our midfield is too open.

 

Also, if you look at Fabinho, he's actually very creative for a defensive midfielder. He's capable of playing long balls and threading through balls to our forwards if the opportunity arises. Perhaps they think Tchouameni has the ability to be more creative than he's shown so far, and they can bring that out with training. 

Yeah, could be - or a way to play two sitters plus Elliott or Jones in a more attacking role in the middle long term.  Might also be good to have an option - especially as having someone who could stand in for Fabinho rather than Hendo would be useful too.

I've never seen Tchouameni play, but I reckon a quality Fabinho/Gini hybrid type would be ideal to add to the midfield mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

 

Considering we don't have a alternative for Fabinho and he misses his fair share of games, and how often he's late back after international football he would surely be useful. Also have another defensive type would be good, he have struggle killing games without Gini about and have plenty of more attacking types with Elliot and Jones about

Depends if we want to spend around 50m for a Fabinho alternative. I doubt that. The more likely scenario if we sign him is if we think he could play further forward. And then I suppose he could fill in at 6 if Fabinho is injured.

 

I really would be surprised if we signed him, though. It just doesn't seem like the profile we'll look at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boss said:

 

Possibly it's an attempt to get back to the more workmanlike midfield that won the league. We're scoring enough goals, we're just conceding too many to compete neck and neck with City at the moment. If we tighten up the midfield it might prevent those goals that do get scored because our midfield is too open.

 

Also, if you look at Fabinho, he's actually very creative for a defensive midfielder. He's capable of playing long balls and threading through balls to our forwards if the opportunity arises. Perhaps they think Tchouameni has the ability to be more creative than he's shown so far, and they can bring that out with training. 

That's a compelling point, but I'd say we're going away from workmanlike now in midfield and it's one of the reasons we're scoring more goals. But it does seem that if we can get the balance slightly better, we'll have the best of both worlds and we are missing just a little solidity and athleticism. Whether Tchouameni could do the job in our tactics playing with Fabinho, while we keep an attacking threat in midfield, I really don't know. Fabinho and Tchouameni would be quite defensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Robertson said Traore was really difficult to play against a couple of years ago.  At £20 million he would be worth a punt.

John Terry said Kenwyn Jones was his toughest opponent.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I agree with your last sentence actually. I don't think he would be the best choice for us.

 

He is better than you think, though. We just don't really need a player of his profile as we already have Fabinho. He's shown some box to box ability, but at a big club to me he's a #6. Could be wrong, though. He can be a powerful runner.

Seems to have a bit of everything based on the YouTube clips, whatever value they might have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is Traore an upgrade? I mean, he's a far better sprinter than Taki or Div, but I'm not sure he's a better footballer.

Initially he'd be a bit like Rosenthal as an impact signing. When Kenny bought Rosenthal the team was lacking a bit of dynamism. Ronny was very effective because (a) he was fast and (b) not even he seemed to know what the hell he was doing. We benfitted from the confusion he caused. That's probably the best we could hope from Traore in the short term. After that, with decent coaching, who knows? If you added a proper sense of tactical purpose to his pace and build he could be a terrifying player to play against. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a fan of Traore, but honestly we need a number 9 before a right winger, as we have the best one in the world starting there when fit. Ox looks like he’s proven that he’s a capable back-up there too. Offer £50m for Calvert-Lewin instead and let’s start bullying defenders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I’m a fan of Traore, but honestly we need a number 9 before a right winger, as we have the best one in the world starting there when fit. Ox looks like he’s proven that he’s a capable back-up there too. Offer £50m for Calvert-Lewin instead and let’s start bullying defenders.

When did this happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm sure selling Calvert-Lewin to Liverpool is exactly what the Everton board should be doing right now!

What??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×