You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm not too arsed but it feels a bit amateur. Great work with Diaz dropped a bollock with Fabio. We don't know the details but it feels like Fulham have stitched us up. We did Spurs, they've done us it is what it is. 

Not sure about this. How would this benefit Fulham?

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Not sure about this. How would this benefit Fulham?

Well they probably haven't intentionally but getting Neko and also not signing over Carvalho if they felt any bad blood over Elliot that must feel a bit sweet. A tribunal will probably end up costing near the same as the fee anyway no great difference. Maybe they hope they can persuade the player to give them another year or two in the meantime. In reality neither club has lost anything if the plan was to loan him back anyway. I dont think he'd walk in here and be an impactful player anyway but one for the future. The last day transfer scrambles are annoying though.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Well they probably haven't intentionally but getting Neko and also not signing over Carvalho if they felt any bad blood over Elliot that must feel a bit sweet. A tribunal will probably end up costing near the same as the fee anyway no great difference. Maybe they hope they can persuade the player to give them another year or two in the meantime. In reality neither club has lost anything if the plan was to loan him back anyway. I dont think he'd walk in here and be an impactful player anyway but one for the future. The last day transfer scrambles are annoying though.

Agree with this. Neco the sweetener for Summer. If he wants to come it will happen then.

42 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’m sure the regular LFC journos will be told what went wrong and they’ll all come out with the same story. 

I’m struggling to get annoyed at this though. Diaz was obviously the more important deal and I’m made up we got that done. 

The only annoyance is leaving it so late- he wouldn't have played for us this season and as long as the deal goes through in the summer then it's all fine.

I still don't understand why clubs continually do this though, there's a whole month to get it sorted, never mind all the unofficial contact and soundings out that would undoubtedly have occurred beforehand. Just seems really negligent to still be messing around with barely an hour to go.

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Bit surprised we let Neco go, maybe with Thiago and Elliot back we felt we had enough numbers in midfield to give Milner full time back up right back duties.

Relying on a kid who has been out injured for the last 5/6 months, a sicknote & a 256 year old to help out in midfield.

The Liverpool Way.

With players coming back, this is literally the strongest squad the club has had in 130 years. We’re in the running for 4 trophies.

TLW because we didn’t sign a 19 year old from a Championship side who wouldn’t have played until next season anyway…

115D8197-6437-42E2-A7EF-7D704CCD7C6D.gif

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Sorry, I misread Jose's post.

It's the midfield I'm concerned about, not RB cover.

Seven players for 3 positions. 

8C7D101D-39DB-480F-89CE-F164DCBE7048.png

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, our chances of multiple pieces of silverware this summer are linked to Thiago’s fitness. 

I’d have liked a midfielder as well but IMO, it seems pretty clear this will be our #1 priority in the summer. 

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, our chances of multiple pieces of silverware this summer are linked to Thiago’s fitness. 

I’d have liked a midfielder as well but IMO, it seems pretty clear this will be our #1 priority in the summer. 

Seven players there who I don't trust to stay fit for an extended period. 

We had one who could stay fit and he left after last season, I hope you're right about priority in the next window. I'm not throwing the toys out the pram here btw, this has been an ongoing concern all season for many of us. We may well win a trophy or two this season regardless but I think the midfield could've been managed better & has cost us a few points this far.

20 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

You need to add Elliot to that list, plus Morton and Minamino.

21 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We're probably okay in midfield again, but I don't get why we moved Neco on, as Bradley looks very raw. 

Joe Gomez needs games so it's clear well use him at RB when in the lead, with Milner there when we need a more attacking option.

Kinda like it's been for the past 5 years.

I also think Bradley has a bigger chance than Neco longer term, and so Klopp will want to use him whenever possible.

Neco gets in the way of all that, particularly if he isn't seen as a future first teamer.

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

You need to add Elliot to that list, plus Morton and Minamino.

True. And would we go 4-2-4 in games and throw Diaz or Firmino in the mix as well?

I would absolutely like a new first choice midfielder (Bellingham, Tchouameni etc etc) in the summer, but as is, we are stocked until then. 

23 minutes ago, Mook said:

Seven players there who I don't trust to stay fit for an extended period. 

We had one who could stay fit and he left after last season, I hope you're right about priority in the next window. I'm not throwing the toys out the pram here btw, this has been an ongoing concern all season for many of us. We may well win a trophy or two this season regardless but I think the midfield could've been managed better & has cost us a few points this far.

I don’t disagree midfield has been the issue this season, I’ve posted it a few times about the lack of control we’re offering in comparison to recent seasons. 

However, I don’t think it’s all the players. IMO, there is some tactical instruction that hasn’t fully worked yet.

I don’t believe Hendo has gone rogue and decided he needs to bust a gut to get forward and press at all times this season when managing and controlling games in the knowledge our forwards will always create, has been so successful for us over the past few seasons. 

It’s been the same all season and is significantly more noticeable when Thiago doesn’t play. 

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t disagree midfield has been the issue this season, I’ve posted it a few times about the lack of control we’re offering in comparison to recent seasons. 

However, I don’t think it’s all the players. IMO, there is some tactical instruction that hasn’t fully worked yet.

I don’t believe Hendo has gone rogue and decided he needs to bust a gut to get forward and press at all times this season when managing and controlling games in the knowledge our forwards will always create, has been so successful for us over the past few seasons. 

It’s been the same all season and is significantly more noticeable when Thiago doesn’t play. 

It's about lack of legs as well as tactics. We are playing differently this season and that was more noticeable early on when Harvey Elliot was playing high & wide up the pitch with a triangle going between him, Salah & Trent overloading our right side. Elliot was able to fill in out wide and Trent has moved infield much more than previous seasons - in many games he has become virtually a midfield playmaker, leaving the right back position for others to cover.

Elliot was very effective in holding the ball up and also tracking back but we have lost that control since he's been out. Henderson just doesn't have the legs any more to cover our right side, where we leave Trent & Salah in high positions, as well as maybe he could a couple of years ago. 

Everyone talks about our high line but when we have been exposed by a through ball it's mainly where we have left a gap in midfield to allow the space for the through ball. We have been wide open far too often and it's been too easy for a player to get on the ball, look for the runner and make the pass. The system we play needs our midfield to be box-to-box so if we lose the ball there is cover. But our midfielders have struggled to do that job as the season has progressed and we have been short on numbers in the central areas leaving us susceptible to the break. Fabinho & Thiago are quality together but the others have not been as good.

It will be interesting to see if Klopp slots Harvey Elliot back in the team when he is fit again, or even if we start to use our forwards in similar positions - to overload one area of the pitch and keep 2 central midfielders patrolling the middle. I can definitely see the potential in some games for 4 forwards now that Diaz is in the squad but it does put pressure on the deeper midfielders to cover for them and that's where we lack the legs, a priority in the summer is a mobile, athletic presence in centre midfield.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

The only annoyance is leaving it so late- he wouldn't have played for us this season and as long as the deal goes through in the summer then it's all fine.

I still don't understand why clubs continually do this though, there's a whole month to get it sorted, never mind all the unofficial contact and soundings out that would undoubtedly have occurred beforehand. Just seems really negligent to still be messing around with barely an hour to go.

It appears to be the modus operandi of a lot of clubs not just us .

11 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Yes, it's obvious Fulham are better negotiators than us.  Glad you have seen this.

Or just bigger twats?

A lot of people seem to have decided we were not already or not tryingto negotiating with Fulham or heaven forbid, actually prioritised the signing of a £35m+ player on the other side of the world whom spurs thought they had wrapped up.

11 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Yes, it's obvious Fulham are better negotiators than us.  Glad you have seen this.

I dont se how they are better negotiators when they will receive far less in the summer through tribunal than they would have now and still had the player for the same amount of time.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

With players coming back, this is literally the strongest squad the club has had in 130 years. We’re in the running for 4 trophies.

TLW because we didn’t sign a 19 year old from a Championship side who wouldn’t have played until next season anyway…

115D8197-6437-42E2-A7EF-7D704CCD7C6D.gif

It’s safe to say I’ve soured on FSG over the last year, but we’re not the first or last club to have a transfer miss the deadline, and who really knows why? Maybe we could have gone in sooner, but in that case, perhaps Fulham would have (or indeed did) tell us to fuck off.

All indications are that the deal looks very likely to be signed in the coming months, so what’s the issue? It FSG end up quibbling over a couple of thousand per week and he goes elsewhere then I dare say complaints will be justified, but less so over this.