You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

Gomez, Van Dijk, Matip, Konate, Phillips are the best collection of 5 CBs at any club in the world. 

Laporte, Ake, Dias, Stones, ...

Nope. 

Rudiger, Christensen, Silva, Azpilicueta, Sarr...

Nope.

So, I guess you could make a case for selling Gomez if a staggering offer came in.  He's a brilliant CB and way too young to be writing off. 

36 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He is never fit, poor positionally and in the air, his passing is woeful too. His biggest asset is pace. We could get good money and replace him with somebody who stays fit. Merely my opinion I understand others disagree. As for England duty he has been injured on it or not been called up because of injury that is why he hardly plays for them. 

Tend to agree with this. Probably better off keeping Phillips as fourth choice. And behind Phillips we should have a promising youngster.

• Upvote 2

Wonder if they go back in for Dyche

They've looked at him before, he would actually do a good job of stabilising them over a couple of years. Hopefully they'll go for some flash in the pan who will just carry on the same shite. Surprised we haven't heard rumours of Newcastle looking at DCL and Pigeon boy yet. They are the sort of players they could attract, offer big wages and would be gettable 

I can't tell if we'd be interested in Raphinha or not. To me, he's not a similar profile to our other forwards and I'd see him more as someone who would do best playing with a more traditional centre forward, providing him service. The links to Bayern made sense.

I also may be overthinking it.

We need to keep Salah but there’s no way we’re leaving £100m on the table so if he doesn’t sign he’ll be gone before his contract is up. You can’t replace Salah, you adapt to life without him. Whether that’s with us using that money to buy Raphina and the sort of forward Klopp has never shown interest in at Liverpool like Vlahovic to make the most of their skills or we look at getting more goals from other areas is anyones guess. You do wonder how we’d get on with a proper centre forward with all the crosses we already put in and players like Jota and Mane score their share of headers but getting one who can work his socks off and keep up with the rapid press will take some doing.

50 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Article in The Athletic today. Basically it writes a few pros and cons on Bowen, Thuram & Lang and then name checks a few more years players at the end.

3D6DBF3C-AD5B-4FC2-919F-E15EC424CF15.png

I like the look of Gouiri and Nkunku more than the three featured players in the article. Not sure about Gakpo, but Sulemana is only 18/19 so typically we'd go for someone a bit more experienced for a first team player, someone 22/23 with at least a couple of top league seasons under their belt for example.

Anyway, it all depends on the Salah contract. If he signs we need to build the attack around him, if he doesn't we need a properly thought out succession plan.

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I like the look of Gouiri and Nkunku more than the three featured players in the article. Not sure about Gakpo, but Sulemana is only 18/19 so typically we'd go for someone a bit more experienced for a first team player, someone 22/23 with at least a couple of top league seasons under their belt for example.

Anyway, it all depends on the Salah contract. If he signs we need to build the attack around him, if he doesn't we need a properly thought out succession plan.

Thuram reads like the most achievable from that list - been injured, out of contract in ‘23, will be undervalued…

Diego Carlos - Aggressive centre-half who is guaranteed to pick up a yellow card in just about every game he plays and will always give away needless fouls in and around his own penalty area.

He's the exact opposite of what Newcastle need, so I fully expect them to push through a deal.

Like a poor man's Otamendi.

• Upvote 1