You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He’d walk into our first team. Disagree on the best right foot in the world thing, though - we already have that. 

Anyway, the moment has probably passed for signing him. We’d pay a fortune for him now. Should have gone for a him a couple of seasons ago.

Could easily imagine City or Chelsea signing him for £50m just to plug a long-term injury gap. That’s what we’re competing with, though given that we don’t actually buy players any more, we’re not actually competing with it. 

When TAA's corners start clearing the first defender then I'd be prepared to believe that.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

90% of football is greed and selfishness - there's always someone willing to pay up. 

I feel pretty uncomfortable us giving Salah £400,000 a week (even though I know other clubs will).

Where does it all end? 

I don't know where it ends. But I find it astonishing nobody in football wants rid of these leeches. I honestly have no issue with what players earn - it's obscene, but who else is going to get all the money flooding around the game? Players & managers seem as good a place as any to spend the money. 

22 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

But that's the championship. He's found his level. 

Remember that summer where we were spending 200m? 

Screenshot_20220115-173155.jpg

Didn't we buy Salah Ox Solanke Robbo, Keita (but deferred it 12 months) and try to buy Virgil that summer. It wasn't that mad to be fair. 

I'd be happy with that kind of ambition this summer

5 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Unload both Williams, Philips, Gomez, Keita, Chamberlain, Minamino and Origi.

Frees for Adrian, Karius and Milner.

Buy a RB, CB, 2 MF and an attacker.

Piece of piss.

You know it makes sense.

Thank me later.

Why are some suddenly bulling to get rid of Joe Gomez? He is the best 4th choice centre back in world football, isn't on a massive wage, barely plays international football and the fitness of at least 1 of or other 3 is dodgy. It'd be madness to sell him

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Didn't we buy Salah Ox Solanke Robbo, Keita (but deferred it 12 months) and try to buy Virgil that summer. It wasn't that mad to be fair. 

Yea, take away Keita cuz I don't think we paid the fee until he arrived and add in VvD in Jan - that was @165 mil.

Unfortunately to show that kind of ambition this summer we would need to sell 185 mil worth of players - which is what we did that summer.

Solanke was a great piece of business btw - came in for a few mil sold a year later for 20 mil. Moneyball bitches!

57 minutes ago, Razoray said:

But only because coutinho was going. And because Barca didn't put a big enough bid in early enough, that pushed to the next window. And vvd would have been 25m cheaper had we not fucked the deal up. And we sold wisdom, Stewart (almost swap deal for robbo), Lucas and sakho. 

3 hours ago, Razoray said:

Why are some suddenly bulling to get rid of Joe Gomez? He is the best 4th choice centre back in world football, isn't on a massive wage, barely plays international football and the fitness of at least 1 of or other 3 is dodgy. It'd be madness to sell him

Don’t get that last sentence mate, not being funny.

1 minute ago, Razoray said:

It would be madness to sell Joe Gomez

He is never fit, poor positionally and in the air, his passing is woeful too. His biggest asset is pace. We could get good money and replace him with somebody who stays fit. Merely my opinion I understand others disagree. As for England duty he has been injured on it or not been called up because of injury that is why he hardly plays for them. 

Joe Gomez is 24 and has been part of a very good Liverpool team for 6 years now. Unless he's unsettled by wanting more minutes to get more caps for England, or something, I have no idea why we'd even consider selling him. And even then, it had better be for very big money. You'd be very hard-pressed to find a better 4th-choice centre back out there.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Razoray said:

I can see him asking for a move - he'll believe he is too good to be 4th choice for us.