You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

43 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That Broja lad at Southampton is a cracking modern number 9. 

There's a lot more to come from him.  Will be in a Chelsea shirt though.  

Go back to that stat at the start of the the season. 80% of games in the top two divisions had a Chelsea player in the match day squad.

15 hours ago, waddy78 said:

One thing we've learned today is to stay the fuck away from Traore, pace aside he's a championship player at best. No end product at all.

I’d have him as back up to Trent, as long as he promised to pass the ball to a better player like Mo or Origi as soon as he carried the ball in to the last third.

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

People can piss off with their ‘sell Origi, Phillips and Ox’ to Newcastle or similar. Yeah, because history has shown that we’d adequately replace them in the same window. Valuable squad players, all three. 

And don't sell them to Newcastle anyway.

4 hours ago, aws said:

Don't sell anybody unless it means we can replace them straight away with someone better or it frees up money to get Mo signed up to a contract  extension. 

And even then, better on paper doesn't mean they'll be able to contribute straight away. Very few can come in and make an instant statement. Most need at least 6 months to adapt.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

And even then, better on paper doesn't mean they'll be able to contribute straight away. Very few can come in and make an instant statement. Most need at least 6 months to adapt.

Forwards have settled well under klopp. Salah, mane and Jota have contributed from day 1 pretty much - only mini hasn't, but then after 2 years he's still not making a mark. The other positions seem to be much tougher. Vvd and alisson are obvious exceptions - perhaps matip and Gini too, but the bar was much lower to into the team then. I feel we're one short in midfield and attack, but I think attack could benefit most if we can get someone in on Jan 1, so they can be contributing while Salah and mane are off. If the rumours about Elliot are true, perhaps he can be our "new signing" in midfield. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Forwards have settled well under klopp. Salah, mane and Jota have contributed from day 1 pretty much - only mini hasn't, but then after 2 years he's still not making a mark. The other positions seem to be much tougher. Vvd and alisson are obvious exceptions - perhaps matip and Gini too, but the bar was much lower to into the team then. I feel we're one short in midfield and attack, but I think attack could benefit most if we can get someone in on Jan 1, so they can be contributing while Salah and mane are off. If the rumours about Elliot are true, perhaps he can be our "new signing" in midfield. 

That's all fair dincome.

Couple of points though. Mane and Salah came in where were were building, not challenging.

Jota was a perfect fit for our style, which is why it was such a left field signing that no one could have even predicted.

Klopp also talked about how easy it was to convince him to come, because he would play all 3 positions.

That all changes with another attacker, who has to be convinced he'll get game time too.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I feel we're one short in midfield and attack

Liverpool are leading the race to sign 18-year-old England midfielder Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund next summer.

Liverpool are interested in 28-year-old Juventus and Argentina forward Paulo Dybala, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

43 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Liverpool are leading the race to sign 18-year-old England midfielder Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund next summer.

Liverpool are interested in 28-year-old Juventus and Argentina forward Paulo Dybala, whose contract expires at the end of the season.

Would love to see us get Bellingham in.

Dybala is a big no from me, and absolutely dont see it happening either.

2 hours ago, m0e said:

That's all fair dincome.

Couple of points though. Mane and Salah came in where were were building, not challenging.

Jota was a perfect fit for our style, which is why it was such a left field signing that no one could have even predicted.

Klopp also talked about how easy it was to convince him to come, because he would play all 3 positions.

That all changes with another attacker, who has to be convinced he'll get game time too.

I think there'll be loads of time though, we play them all too much except for Div, who we play when there's no choice. And we won't buy anyone without flogging div soon. And we have 3 forwards with just 18 months left on their contracts. I think there's loads of scope to convince people to come. 

For what it's worth, I think we'll go for dembele from Barca on a bosman and if we can do it cheap we'll do it in January. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Seems like it's all done then! 

19 hours ago, Pete said:

And don't sell them to Newcastle anyway.

I'd sell to anyone we are confident is dumber than us and has money, and I think Newcastle under Eddie Howe certainly qualify. Edwards talked Howe into giving us the same amount of money we used to buy Salah for Ibe & Solanke.

If our data team is confident they can get enough for Origi, Phillips and Ox (the players we're discussing) to replace them with better players, then I'd back them to do it. Origi and Phillips in particular - we do seem to be a bit short in midfield and Ox is one I'd like to stay until the summer.

It's pretty obvious if you read into Klopp's comments that Phillips and Origi are up for sale.  Knowing us, we'll use the money to bring in someone like Jonathan David and he'll end up being class. 

The data team are next level. That Jota signing instead of Werner, no other club would've done that. We turned down a player that scored 34 goals the season before, for a player who scored 16, and the player who scored 16 became the star. Just sensational scouting. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Boss said:

It's pretty obvious if you read into Klopp's comments that Phillips and Origi are up for sale.  Knowing us, we'll use the money to bring in someone like Jonathan David and he'll end up being class. 

The data team are next level. That Jota signing instead of Werner, no other club would've done that. We turned down a player that scored 34 goals the season before, for a player who scored 16, and the player who scored 16 became the star. Just sensational scouting. 

Was it not fairly well established that we scuppered the Werner deal because of the financial impact of Covid? Jota’s fee and wages would have been a fair bit cheaper. Still great scouting. 

3 hours ago, Boss said:

To be fair we didn't make that decision for footballing reasons, we made it for financial, we wanted Werner and that is clear. Having said that I also don't think Werner would have been the shit show he's been at Chelsea had klopp got his hands on him. It went wrong at the beginning, lampard didn't know how to help him and he's never got out of that rut since.