You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't disagree on Raphinha's talent, I think he's really good. He just doesn't seem like a natural fit to me. I'd be surprised if we paid a lot of money for him. 

Who would be a natural fit?

17 minutes ago, m0e said:

Who would be a natural fit?

If we continue buying the same kind of player; Jonathan David. He's physically strong, makes runs and sprints all game, technically decent, decent finisher, two footed, plays central striker but can play with someone else or move around the front line. It's very similar in profile to what we have.

I think Nkunku is a great fit. Paqueta as well. Nkunku as someone who could play anywhere up front, notably in a Firmino role. Paqueta as someone who can play in a Firmino role and in midfield. Those players, imo fit our formation and tactics great. They could play in a bunch of positions.

To me, Raphinha would be a nice alternative to what we have, someone who can play wider, great dribbler, good vision and passing, if that's what we want. But to me, he seems like a player that would be best with a lone centre forward he can aim passes at from out wide. Not saying he couldn't adapt to our style of play, but right now he's playing in a different role at Leeds. But then again, he's "Premier League proven" so we know he can at least adapt to England. I don't think he's a bad option, in sum. Just different, imo. I'll stop rambling now, that was long.

• Upvote 1

I reckon there are about six players in the Premier League, that we could realistically attract, that would have a good chance of working their way into our first eleven: Conor Gallagher, Raphinha, Youri Tielemans, Declan Rice, Ismalla Sarr and possibly Yves Bissouma. Those six I could see - after a year or two under Klopp's tutelage - becoming really useful players for us. Rice is too expensive. Gallagher is a Chelsea player, so that's not happening. Bissouma is a potential powder keg with the legal stuff surrounding him. Sarr is inconsistent. It's probably a year (or two) too soon for him.

Tielemans and Raphinha are no brainers though. Both at the perfect age. Both follow the same logic that got us Mane, Gini, Jota and Robertson. Tielemans is basically a young Gini. They were both hyped up as wonder kids when they burst on the scene, then the hype died down and they just kept improving incrementally. Raphinha is the classic Mane/ Jota purchase. A player who is brilliant for a lower level team, that's one season away from becoming a superstar - with a price tag that takes us out of the equation. We need another left-footed attacker an' all. Mane, Minamino, Origi, Jota and Firmino are all right-footed.

5 hours ago, Boss said:

I reckon there are about six players in the Premier League, that we could realistically attract, that would have a good chance of working their way into our first eleven: Conor Gallagher, Raphinha, Youri Tielemans, Declan Rice, Ismalla Sarr and possibly Yves Bissouma. Those six I could see - after a year or two under Klopp's tutelage - becoming really useful players for us. Rice is too expensive. Gallagher is a Chelsea player, so that's not happening. Bissouma is a potential powder keg with the legal stuff surrounding him. Sarr is inconsistent. It's probably a year (or two) too soon for him.

Tielemans and Raphinha are no brainers though. Both at the perfect age. Both follow the same logic that got us Mane, Gini, Jota and Robertson. Tielemans is basically a young Gini. They were both hyped up as wonder kids when they burst on the scene, then the hype died down and they just kept improving incrementally. Raphinha is the classic Mane/ Jota purchase. A player who is brilliant for a lower level team, that's one season away from becoming a superstar - with a price tag that takes us out of the equation. We need another left-footed attacker an' all. Mane, Minamino, Origi, Jota and Firmino are all right-footed.

I wouldn't be happy with any of those bar Gallagher, who wouldn't get into our side, and will probably be able to play as many games at Chelsea next season, anyway.

As for Tielemans, we don't need another Gini, we need another Thiago. That's another level completely.

Finally, if Raphinha or Sarr come in as Salah's replacement, I say we're fucked.

We need a proper cover for Fabinho, and another attacker who can cover all 3 spots, or at the very least, centre and right.

2 hours ago, m0e said:

I wouldn't be happy with any of those bar Gallagher, who wouldn't get into our side, and will probably be able to play as many games at Chelsea next season, anyway.

As for Tielemans, we don't need another Gini, we need another Thiago. That's another level completely.

Finally, if Raphinha or Sarr come in as Salah's replacement, I say we're fucked.

We need a proper cover for Fabinho, and another attacker who can cover all 3 spots, or at the very least, centre and right.

Tielemans doesn't really play like Gini. I meant his career is moving in a similar trajectory to Gini (before he signed for us). He plays more like Gerrard than anyone else. He's a good long-range passer and he's got a firecracker of a shot on him. 

I'd like to see Raphinha brought in to supplement Salah, rather than replace him. You're right though, we probably do need a defensive midfielder and maybe a right-sided Tsimikas (to deputise for Trent).

I'm discluding players from Arsenal because they'd see their arse if we tried to sign one of their players. I do like Saka though, and he could be a good alternate in Salah's role.

On the midfield options, Rice is statistically the best midfielder outside the "top 6 clubs". He gets a bad rap playing for England, but in the Premier League, he's good at everything. But he's just too expensive. Bissouma is the second best but he has the legal trouble. Gallagher and Tielemans I think play different than what we do. Klopp would have to change their games. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

On the midfield options, Rice is statistically the best midfielder outside the "top 6 clubs". He gets a bad rap playing for England, but in the Premier League, he's good at everything. But he's just too expensive. Bissouma is the second best but he has the legal trouble. Gallagher and Tielemans I think play different than what we do. Klopp would have to change their games. 

I’ve never really rated Rice but every time I’ve seen him play this season he’s been excellent. On current form I think he’d really add something to this team and would be a perfect replacement for an ageing Henderson IMO.

48 minutes ago, m0e said:

Like he did with Wijnaldum, Oxlade, Milner and Lallana you mean? Keita too.

Not to mention the full backs and wingers.

Well sure, but does Tielemans for example have the qualities for that? He's quite attacking and technically gifted but not the most mobile, tough or hard working. 

If we're just going to say Klopp can transform any player, we can say every single player is suited for us, but that's not true. 

1 hour ago, Simbo said:

I’ve never really rated Rice but every time I’ve seen him play this season he’s been excellent. On current form I think he’d really add something to this team and would be a perfect replacement for an ageing Henderson IMO.

Yeah but he'd cost 100m!

I do think FSG would sanction a mega-money move, they have before for a one-off superstar when we KNOW we're going to get a top player, like Alisson and Virgil. But I cannot see it for Declan Rice, a player who absolute best case scenario turns out to be the next Henderson.

Maybe if the stats guys are in Henry's ear saying "this Jude Bellingham will be the best midfielder on the planet in 3 years, he's worth paying the big money" then maybe you get that kind of fee. But for anything short of a potential Salah/van Dijk-level star, there's no way we'd ever pay that kind of fee. And I can't see any argument that Declan Rice could ever be THAT good.

4 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Yeah but he'd cost 100m!

I do think FSG would sanction a mega-money move, they have before for a one-off superstar when we KNOW we're going to get a top player, like Alisson and Virgil. But I cannot see it for Declan Rice, a player who absolute best case scenario turns out to be the next Henderson.

Maybe if the stats guys are in Henry's ear saying "this Jude Bellingham will be the best midfielder on the planet in 3 years, he's worth paying the big money" then maybe you get that kind of fee. But for anything short of a potential Salah/van Dijk-level star, there's no way we'd ever pay that kind of fee. And I can't see any argument that Declan Rice could ever be THAT good.

Rice is MUCH less of a gamble than Bellingham

3 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Just realised there's a much better chance of us getting 15m for Origi now off Newcastle in January.

Hard to celebrate it, it will definitely be a mixed-emotions day when he leaves!

He's going nowhere in January.

• Upvote 2