You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Paqueta would cost a lot at this point, wouldn't he?

Maybe it's just the sources I follow but the hype is definitely starting to build. Feels to me like a player that goes for 70m next summer, the way people are talking about him.

Yeah, he'll be expensive. Depends if we want to shop at the top of the market or not. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Why would he be expensive? He failed in Serie A, has only had one good season in Ligue 1.

He failed in Serie A when he was 20 years old. That doesn't count.

He'd be expensive because he has a bunch of years left on his deal and is playing at a very, very high level.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

He failed in Serie A when he was 20 years old. That doesn't count.

He'd be expensive because he has a bunch of years left on his deal and is playing at a very, very high level.

He only moved last year and Milan let him go at half of what the paid for him.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We've never seen players not be good at a club when they're younger then become top class at different clubs. Definitely not.

Not my point. At 23 he was deemed not good enough by Milan, and fast forward one year later, he’s now doing well for Lyon in a weaker league. I doubt he’d but much more expensive than what Lyon paid for him. He needs to do show it for longer surely. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Not my point. At 23 he was deemed not good enough by Milan, and fast forward one year later, he’s now doing well for Lyon in a weaker league. I doubt he’d but much more expensive than what Lyon paid for him. He needs to do show it for longer surely. 

We'll see. Also, "doing well" is an understatement.

38 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Liverpool have joined Manchester United in the battle to sign Leeds and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips, 25, in a £60m deal

From the BBC gossip page

Would defo have that 

Nice. He could fill in at CH too if need be apparently.

55 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Liverpool have joined Manchester United in the battle to sign Leeds and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips, 25, in a £60m deal

From the BBC gossip page

Would defo have that 

Kalvin Phillips is a decent player but wouldn't make a lot of sense for us, and especially not at that price. I suspect that's either someone making something up or a smokescreen to get the price up for United or something like that.

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

I'm still pissed off that we payed 40m for that Chelsea flop just because he had a half decent spell in a weaker Italian league. 

20 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Kamaldeen Sulemana: Only 19 and signed for 20m last summer so one for the future, but already has 5 goals and his dribbling stats are some of the highest. Looks like a future great winger if the end product keeps up.

I had been hearing some things about this player but not actually watched him play so just for fun, knowing how deceptive Youtube highlight reels can be, I went and watched one of him.

Oh. My. Word. Looks for all the world like he will become a brilliant player. Lightning quick, great feet, and doesn't shirk from putting in a defensive shift if the clips are representative of his overall play. Even the way he moves with that sort of jump-into-a-dribble reminds you immediately of Mane.

I'm officially interested.

24 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I'm still pissed off that we payed 40m for that Chelsea flop just because he had a half decent spell in a weaker Italian league. 

He was killin it in Serie A for 2.5 seasons right? I dont have any opinion on Lucas Paqueta, I can’t recall ever seeing him play. I don’t buy it that he’d be too expensive for us though, even if he has another very good season. 

29 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I had been hearing some things about this player but not actually watched him play so just for fun, knowing how deceptive Youtube highlight reels can be, I went and watched one of him.

Oh. My. Word. Looks for all the world like he will become a brilliant player. Lightning quick, great feet, and doesn't shirk from putting in a defensive shift if the clips are representative of his overall play. Even the way he moves with that sort of jump-into-a-dribble reminds you immediately of Mane.

Monster player him.

14 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Definitely Mane-esque. It remains to be seen whether he has the mentality of a Sadio Mane though. Takes a lot more than pure talent to get to that level. You have to live and breathe the game.

Players like Depay looked incredible when they came through but they made bad decisions, joined the wrong club at the wrong time, and their careers stagnated as a result. You need to have the talent, be obsessed, make all the right choices and be coached by the best manager in the world, who has absolute faith in you, to have a career like Sadio Mane.

47 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Kalvin Phillips is a decent player but wouldn't make a lot of sense for us, and especially not at that price. I suspect that's either someone making something up or a smokescreen to get the price up for United or something like that.

Yeah, not worth spending 60 big ones on a back up for Fabinho really.

41 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He was killin it in Serie A for 2.5 seasons right? I dont have any opinion on Lucas Paqueta, I can’t recall ever seeing him play. I don’t buy it that he’d be too expensive for us though, even if he has another very good season. 

You don't have any opinion on him and have never watched him play but feel intelligent enough to comment on him multiple times? Sounds like most internet conversations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2