You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

I'd happily see us clear out abit of the midfield and look at Bellingham

Them Marcelo Brozovic/Kessie on a free and Lorenzo Insigne who contract is up. Both Brozovic and Insigne are the wrong age bracket but on a free both would be good for the squad. Problem is going to be the homegrown quota though getting in a older pro as 3rd keeper and a squad RB from england would help. Fabio Viera hasn't signed a new deal yet either

• Upvote 1

I really don't see the obsession with the home grown quota. 

Ox offers fuck all, so you may as well not even fill that slot. If we offloaded him and Keita for instance, I'd rather see a squad of 24 with a decent foreign player than padded out with someone who is completely pointless.

If our squad was something like

GK, Allison, Kelleher (HG)

RB, Trent (HG), A.N Other

CB, Van Dijk, Matip, Konate, Gomez (HG)

LB, Robertson, Tsimikas

DM, Fabinho, A.N Other

CM, Thiago, Henderson (HG), Jones (HG), A.N Other

RW, Salah, A.N Other

CF, Firmino, Jota

LW, Mane, A.N Other

That's 22 players, 5 of which are home grown meaning the other 3 slots don't matter and I think would give way better squad depth than we have now. 

Elliot is under 21 and home grown so wouldn't count to the main 25 player squad which gives us a few more options.

Attack wise, I'd like to see us actually do something like a Haaland type player (I don't watch enough other football to know if he's a good option or not but someone of the supposed level people ascribe to him when I see him discussed) with Firmino leaving and another player who plays wide coming in.

So basically an attacking 5 of Salah, Mane, Jota, Haaland, Bellingham (or another Mane/Salah type signing). I know that's probably unreasonable cost wise. But depth wise barring a mental injury crisis you'd think that should be enough depth. Mane can play either wing, Jota can play any of the 3 positions, Haaland gives us something different and a bit of flat truck bully action hopefully, Salah can play any of the 3 positions and then Bellingham is a fresh wide option. You'd think with rotation that would cover us no problem with plenty playing time for all?

Bellingham won’t move next season. Dortmund are selling Haaland for £70m if not more if they decide to sell in Jan so won’t be under financial pressure and Bellingham is tied down and developing his game week in week out in a top league, he’d be daft to agitate for a move. Look to whatever exciting 16 year olds we have to find our next exciting midfield player, if Elliott and Jones don’t do it for you.

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

I really don't see the obsession with the home grown quota. 

Ox offers fuck all, so you may as well not even fill that slot. If we offloaded him and Keita for instance, I'd rather see a squad of 24 with a decent foreign player than padded out with someone who is completely pointless.

If our squad was something like

GK, Allison, Kelleher (HG)

RB, Trent (HG), A.N Other

CB, Van Dijk, Matip, Konate, Gomez (HG)

LB, Robertson, Tsimikas

DM, Fabinho, A.N Other

CM, Thiago, Henderson (HG), Jones (HG), A.N Other

RW, Salah, A.N Other

CF, Firmino, Jota

LW, Mane, A.N Other

That's 22 players, 5 of which are home grown meaning the other 3 slots don't matter and I think would give way better squad depth than we have now. 

Elliot is under 21 and home grown so wouldn't count to the main 25 player squad which gives us a few more options.

Attack wise, I'd like to see us actually do something like a Haaland type player (I don't watch enough other football to know if he's a good option or not but someone of the supposed level people ascribe to him when I see him discussed) with Firmino leaving and another player who plays wide coming in.

So basically an attacking 5 of Salah, Mane, Jota, Haaland, Bellingham (or another Mane/Salah type signing). I know that's probably unreasonable cost wise. But depth wise barring a mental injury crisis you'd think that should be enough depth. Mane can play either wing, Jota can play any of the 3 positions, Haaland gives us something different and a bit of flat truck bully action hopefully, Salah can play any of the 3 positions and then Bellingham is a fresh wide option. You'd think with rotation that would cover us no problem with plenty playing time for all?

A.N. Other is a versatile lad.

• Upvote 1

Our long term problem is our team is ageing.

Our biggest mistake as far as transfers are concerned was not to secure the signature of the Liverpool fan, the scouser named Joe Gelhardt, now at Leeds.

It may not be too late. Pay what's needed to bring the lad home.

13 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Our long term problem is our team is ageing.

Our biggest mistake as far as transfers are concerned was not to secure the signature of the Liverpool fan, the scouser named Joe Gelhardt, now at Leeds.

It may not be too late. Pay what's needed to bring the lad home.

86FF0758-113F-4922-912E-C86E2150855F.gif

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 10:33, El Dangerous said:

Bellingham won’t move next season. Dortmund are selling Haaland for £70m if not more if they decide to sell in Jan so won’t be under financial pressure and Bellingham is tied down and developing his game week in week out in a top league, he’d be daft to agitate for a move. Look to whatever exciting 16 year olds we have to find our next exciting midfield player, if Elliott and Jones don’t do it for you.

Apparently that Stefan Bajetic who we bought from Celta Vigo is another potential first teamer. Bought as a centre back put has played in midfield a lot recently. Not sure whether he would be classed as home grown though. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Apparently that Stefan Bajetic who we bought from Celta Vigo is another potential first teamer. Bought as a centre back put has played in midfield a lot recently. Not sure whether he would be classed as home grown though. 

If football manager has taught me anything, it's that after 5 years they're home grown. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Joined in February aged 17 4 Months

Should just get in in under the 21 age limit

Definition. UEFA defines locally-trained or 'homegrown' players as those who, regardless of their nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the same national association for at least three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

though the prick Gregg Dyke is trying to change the rules for more English players 

Haven't done this in a while; here are some Ligue 1 players who are worth targeting:

Lucas Paqueta: Best player in the league outside of the PSG front 3 and Marquinhos. Dominates games, technically better than every one else. He should be a top midfield target. The position Elliott was playing at the start of the season is tailor made for him.

Kamaldeen Sulemana: Only 19 and signed for 20m last summer so one for the future, but already has 5 goals and his dribbling stats are some of the highest. Looks like a future great winger if the end product keeps up.

Jonathan David: Hard working, and versatile attacker who's qualities are pretty similar to Jota, in my opinion. Would fit in quite well with us. Leading scorer in Ligue 1 right now.

Those are the main 3. Some other good ones but where the fit with us is less obvious is Tchouameni, Amine Gouiri and Bruno Guimaraes. Guendouzi I also like. He's been really good for Marseille and is still very young. Just got in the senior French team. Tchouameni is a unit and really solid, but I don't know if he's good enough technically or if he has a position in a 4-3-3. Gouiri is really talented but lacks the physical element our forwards tend to have. Guimaraes is a complete midfielder but might just lack a really top quality. Also, like Tchouameni I'm not sure he has a position in our 4-3-3. Aouar is too inconsistent and doesn't run enough.

Paqueta for me, if we're looking for a midfielder in the near future, which we should, he's the one in Ligue 1.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tielemans contract runs out next January. He hasn't signed a new deal. There are reports that we are interested. The summer is the best time to upgrade the midfield in years. Kessie and Brozovic are on a free. Tielemans will be going for about £40m. Gravenberch will probably be available for a similar price.

The contract won't end in January  it'll be end of June 2023. 

Also unless we change the set up he will be a disaster imo. He doesn't track midfield runners at all, players run off him all the time and his lack of cover was a big part of Leicester blowing 4th in that loss to Spurs last season. 

Tielemans is very talented but he drifts out of games a lot and I doubt he would do the dirty work Klopp requires of midfielders.

Gravenberch and Kessie would be great purchases imo. Bellingham would be a dream but I doubt the club will have a chance unless we really push the boat our for him.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Haven't done this in a while; here are some Ligue 1 players who are worth targeting:

Lucas Paqueta: Best player in the league outside of the PSG front 3 and Marquinhos. Dominates games, technically better than every one else. He should be a top midfield target. The position Elliott was playing at the start of the season is tailor made for him.

Kamaldeen Sulemana: Only 19 and signed for 20m last summer so one for the future, but already has 5 goals and his dribbling stats are some of the highest. Looks like a future great winger if the end product keeps up.

Jonathan David: Hard working, and versatile attacker who's qualities are pretty similar to Jota, in my opinion. Would fit in quite well with us. Leading scorer in Ligue 1 right now.

Those are the main 3. Some other good ones but where the fit with us is less obvious is Tchouameni, Amine Gouiri and Bruno Guimaraes. Guendouzi I also like. He's been really good for Marseille and is still very young. Just got in the senior French team. Tchouameni is a unit and really solid, but I don't know if he's good enough technically or if he has a position in a 4-3-3. Gouiri is really talented but lacks the physical element our forwards tend to have. Guimaraes is a complete midfielder but might just lack a really top quality. Also, like Tchouameni I'm not sure he has a position in our 4-3-3. Aouar is too inconsistent and doesn't run enough.

Paqueta for me, if we're looking for a midfielder in the near future, which we should, he's the one in Ligue 1.

Yeah, Paqueta looks absolutely excellent, but you have to wonder if he's capable of a step up to the Premier League.

He was shite at AC Milan wasn't he? Also at 24 he's not a young stud any more.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Yeah, Paqueta looks absolutely excellent, but you have to wonder if he's capable of a step up to the Premier League.

He was shite at AC Milan wasn't he? Also at 24 he's not a young stud any more.

He did "fail" at Milan but he went there very young. I was looking at Lyon forums last night and they were saying the way he's been playing, he's up there with Benzema and Essien in terms of their best players ever in recent times. He's reached a very high level.

And I personally love the fit in our formation in midfield. He has the technique and workrate to do it. The way we played Elliott on the right earlier this season seems perfect. Also has played some false 9 this season.