You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The 100k offer was mentioned about halfway through the season and it was known that it would be done in the summer - he then went to the press a few weeks later to give an unsolicited interview on his plight, THEN Ward made those comments iirc.

I know 100% as I knew someone around him at the time, there was absolutely no point he agreed anything with us. That was just LFC assuming because they eventually came up with his 1st number that even though it was 6 months later, he'd still be in the same negotiating place. The most basic of business practices we all know nobody strikes a deal and then goes, fuck it, it's a bit cold in February to sign, let's wait till it warms up in June or July. 

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Really?

If I remember Ward said something along the lines of "he will never sign for Liverpool, even at 500 k a week."

Sterling himself said he turned down a new deal.

Yep, as Barry said, we tried to lowball him because he was young, but then he quickly became one of our key players and wanted a wage that was on par with that role. When we should have kept things behind closed doors, stuff started leaking out intimating he was being greedy, and Rodgers even commented that he'd been offered a good wage or similar, which seemed to piss him off. Pat on the head, ruffled hair, good lad, take your pocket money. City were in his ear by then.

We were slow offering the going rate for one of the first names on the team sheet, and the relationship broke down from there. 

11 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yep, as Barry said, we tried to lowball him because he was young, but then he quickly became one of our key players and wanted a wage that was on par with that role. When we should have kept things behind closed doors, stuff started leaking out intimating he was being greedy, and Rodgers even commented that he'd been offered a good wage or similar, which seemed to piss him off. Pat on the head, ruffled hair, good lad, take your pocket money. City were in his ear by then.

We were slow offering the going rate for one of the first names on the team sheet, and the relationship broke down from there. 

Agreed. From memory, Rodgers and the club handled it very poorly. Treated him unlike the very important player he had become.

He can fuck off, he's the definition of unlikeable. Never took to him while playing for us, even less nowadays. Also, those saying his finishing has improved can't have been paying much attention to the England and City games over the last couple of years. 

He literally can't strike a ball. He may score quite a few tap-ins and the odd rebound inside the box. Imagine the absolute carnage on these forums though when he scuffs chance no 3 and 4 within the same game. None of our front three are really clinical in front of goal (they have all gone through rough/golden patches), but Sterling is probably the worst "top" player I've seen in terms of coverting from 5-20 yds.

I think he has lost a yard of pace as well, which might make this even less of a story... Without his blistering pace he is Sunday league level.

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It was all bad cringe that whole "being Liverpool". Made all the worse by bredan being on his full ego phase after just taking over. 

It was horrifying. I've just watched that clip back for the first time in ages and fuck me....  2013/14 was an amazing season and I rate him as a manager but that first season everything was pure aids. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It was horrifying. I've just watched that clip back for the first time in ages and fuck me....  2013/14 was an amazing season and I rate him as a manager but that first season everything was pure aids. 

To be honest, I think Rodgers is a bit of a blagger and I just never took to his egotistical manner. But none of that was helped by doing that tv programme when he'd only been in the job for days. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

If we put aside he's a tit, I could go for it. His finishing is much better than when we let him go and he's an all round better footballer. The only worry for me is he has clearly lost a little passion for it there and that little spark he used to have going from stop to full speed seems not the same. If that is gone, it's a no for me. If that's just a question of he needs a fresh start, I'd be in. But we know he's an absolutely greedy cunt. If PSG are at the table, especially if mbappe is off, then clearly we're not at the same table. 

This is pretty much where I'm at.

Football reasons, there's loads why it would make sense. He's City's most dangerous forward by an absolute fucking mile and I don't know why he's fallen out of favour.

Financially though it isn't viable unless he takes a paycut, which he won't.

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Is Aidy Ward still his agent or not?

No, Sterling ditched him in January, after the tapping-up of underage players. Sterling was very active in this as well, though denied any wrong doing; as in his role as a famous player he has a 'responsibility to talk to young, aspiring players - but not about agent representation' of course.

* Hope that is ok legally for the site, Dave.

https://versus.uk.com/2021/04/raheem-sterling-reportedly-setting-football-agency/

As Sam Quek might have described him: 'a thumb-headed twat'.

Panorama alleges Premier League agent Aidy Ward broke FA rules by signing  underage players - Irish Mirror Online

• Upvote 1

I think he was badly advised. Not so much in taking City's higher wage offer, more the interview where he whored himself out to Arsenal (and whoever would have him), and his cretin of an agent calling Jamie Carragher a 'knob'. He acted like he was bigger than Liverpool Football Club, at 20 years old, which is always a terrible look. Even the stuff he said a few years ago about saying to his agent at 15 years old, "if we play our cards right, we won't be here for long", made him come across as a tit. I must profess that I've revelled in him getting booed at Anfield and habitually getting put in Andy Robertson's pocket.

However, he is a good player. His movement off the ball is superb. He's fast and direct. He's intelligent in his play, and he's a good passer of the ball. Rodolfo Borrell (the man who brought through Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas) said Sterling was the second-best young player he ever coached - after Messi. If Klopp could get him scoring goals consistently, he'd be a world-class player. I trust Klopp if he thinks he can get a tune out of him.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

I think he was badly advised. Not so much in taking City's higher wage offer, more the interview where he whored himself out to Arsenal (and whoever would have him), and his cretin of an agent calling Jamie Carragher a 'knob'. He acted like he was bigger than Liverpool Football Club, at 20 years old, which is always a terrible look. Even the stuff he said a few years ago about saying to his agent at 15 years old, "if we play our cards right, we won't be here for long", made him come across as a tit. I must profess that I've revelled in him getting booed at Anfield and habitually getting put in Andy Robertson's pocket.

However, he is a good player. His movement off the ball is superb. He's fast and direct. He's intelligent in his play, and he's a good passer of the ball. Rodolfo Borrell (the man who brought through Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas) said Sterling was the second-best young player he ever coached - after Messi. If Klopp could get him scoring goals consistently, he'd be a world-class player. I trust Klopp if he thinks he can get a tune out of him.

I agree with you about Sterling as a player, but do you actually think him coming back is possible? Because I don't think it's remotely possible for reasons that I think both sides should get over, but those reasons still exist. 

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I agree with you about Sterling as a player, but do you actually think him coming back is possible? Because I don't think it's remotely possible for reasons that I think both sides should get over, but those reasons still exist. 

I think it'll be possible from Raheem Sterling's side, but he'd have to want to stay in the Premier League. I think it's possible from our perspective because Klopp hasn't worked with him before, and Klopp has shown in the past he is willing to let bygones be bygones to help the team (i.e. the rumoured pursuit of Coutinho in the summer). I don't think the fans will accept him with open arms, but they never did the first time. There was always an air of mercenary about him. The fans will get over it pretty quickly if Salah, Mane and Sterling are ripping up the league in tandem.

The problem is City. I can't see them selling to us under any circumstances. They wouldn't even sell us Sancho, and he wasn't even on the fringes of their first team. Sterling will probably end up at PSG, or it'll be a Jota style contract from Barcelona - where payments are deferred.

It depends on whether Sterling wants it or not. It would make a lot of sense from his perspective. He doesn't need to move to a new area or take his kids out of school. He'd be playing for one of the best clubs in the world, and he'd be playing under a manager that can take him to the next level, in a system that suits him down to the ground.