You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

20 golas?? Playing where - instead of Mane?

He is an abysmal finisher - scored 20 in the league once in his career and that was playing every week in a team that scored 100.

The answer is a hard no and that is before taking into consideration what an asswipe he is.

I threw around a number, but yes, he'd be very good under Klopp. He's the exact type of forward we use. Would this transfer happen? No. Should we do it if it was possible? Obviously. He scored 23, 25 and 31 goals in all comps in three straight seasons. Someone calling someone who can do that an "abysmal finisher" is the same person who thinks Mane and Salah are bad finishers because they miss chances. And I say that saying Salah is obviously a better finisher than Sterling, but you get the point. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not really - I very much doubt that I am the first person to say he is an abysmal finisher, cuz he is.

Where would he play?

Agree- it is not happening for the simple reason they would not sell to us.

What do you mean, where would he play? He's a versatile forward who can play all 3 positions and interchange during the game. That's textbook what we do. He'd rotate with the other 4. 

The Sterling discussion is completely hypothetical, it's never happening, but let's not pretend he's this shit player who'd get nowhere near our team. On paper football wise, it's a great fit. 

He was a kid when he left, with a cunt of an agent, and we screwed up tying him down to a new contract. 

On the playing side, I'm with Stacksy, he'd slot in well under Klopp, and fits the profile of our forwards. If anything, the fact he's pushing 27 might be the main issue, as I get the feeling we're looking for a Daka/Sarr type 23 year old. At the right price though, it'd be a no-brainer.

31 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He was a kid when he left, with a cunt of an agent, and we screwed up tying him down to a new contract. 

Really?

If I remember Ward said something along the lines of "he will never sign for Liverpool, even at 500 k a week."

Sterling himself said he turned down a new deal.

If we put aside he's a tit, I could go for it. His finishing is much better than when we let him go and he's an all round better footballer. The only worry for me is he has clearly lost a little passion for it there and that little spark he used to have going from stop to full speed seems not the same. If that is gone, it's a no for me. If that's just a question of he needs a fresh start, I'd be in. But we know he's an absolutely greedy cunt. If PSG are at the table, especially if mbappe is off, then clearly we're not at the same table. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Really?

If I remember Ward said something along the lines of "he will never sign for Liverpool, even at 500 k a week."

Sterling himself said he turned down a new deal.

It was the way we managed it. When he first wanted a new contract, we tried all that "we're offering you a really small wage as you're young, we're really protecting you, can't give you too much too soon". Then he continued to improve, we came back to the table with an improved offer 6 months or more after, but his head had already been turned. His agent is a fucking prick too (is he still his agent?).

Iirc the 1st contract offer was at 20k per week. He was looking for 100. We eventually came back with something like that, but city had clearly got to his agent by then and offered him the 175k or whatever it was he went on. That's when ward made those comments you talk about. 

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

His finishing is much better than when we let him go and he's an all round better footballer. 

Yea, and even though it is still woeful he gets a shitload of chances. Agree in the main with what Stacks said - he is the type of attacker we could use, but just not him - for a number of reasons.

Not the least, he would expect to be in the first 11 and he would be getting a first 11 wage.

Don't see it happening in January so he would be closer to 28 by the time he would play a game for us.