You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Toshack Keegan, Carroll Suarez is the parallel I would guess (wasn't Carroll a Dalglish signing)

Falls apart because Carroll was shit though.

He was signed under Dalglish, but Carroll was more to do with Damien Comolli. Probably part of the reason he only lasted a further 18 months before he left. 

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

I remember trying to be positive and trying to explain it away with ‘well, the King has a plan. Downing pumping crosses in for Wor Andy, anything that doesn’t go in Suarez will clear up.  #19 incoming.’

Oh, how very wrong my delusion was.

That was the most baffling thing, and I admit this might be a false impression I've generated over the years, but it seems like Downing and Carroll didn't play in the same side often and a few times we subbed one off and brought the other one on after.

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

He was signed under Dalglish, but Carroll was more to do with Damien Comolli. Probably part of the reason he only lasted a further 18 months before he left. 

Fair enough, thought I'd read somewhere that he'd recommended him (although the reality may have been he just didn't oppose it) and saw him as the physical presence around Suarez (Suarez being the delicate flower that needs protecting).

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I remember trying to be positive and trying to explain it away with ‘well, the King has a plan. Downing pumping crosses in for Wor Andy, anything that doesn’t go in Suarez will clear up.  #19 incoming.’

Oh, how very wrong my delusion was.

I can remember being pissed off on the day and comparing the deal to replacing Rush with Howie Gayle. 

I was told constantly how I was wrong and would be proven so. 

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I struggle to think of a worse when taken into context. 

At least we got the best part of 20ml back in loans and fees from West Ham

These two on the other hand we got fuck all, for a nearly 40ml

Sterling,_Spearing,_Eccleston,_Aquilani,

3126594-64087608-2560-1440.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lee909 said:

At least we got the best part of 20ml back in loans and fees from West Ham

These two on the other hand we got fuck all, for a nearly 40ml

Sterling,_Spearing,_Eccleston,_Aquilani,

3126594-64087608-2560-1440.jpg

Actually i'm seeing a pattern here

hi-res-b58de2af33d1a28414160fcf862078ad_

70a938da588f745536d11ddc8053f17e.jpg

170px-Borini_against_FC_Gomel_(cropped).

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Fair enough, thought I'd read somewhere that he'd recommended him (although the reality may have been he just didn't oppose it) and saw him as the physical presence around Suarez (Suarez being the delicate flower that needs protecting).

Yeah I think Comolli oversaw all the transfers of the second Dalglish era, and as long as Kenny didn't oppose it, they would sign. 

17 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I remember at the time being so pissed of we'd spent £35 million on Carroll because we could have got Aguero for a similar amount. Imagine how differently things could have played out if we'd sold Torres and Babel and replaced them with Suarez and Aguero. 

In terms of initial fee, they might've been comparable, but the problem would've been wages. We were hemorrhaging money, due to having a CL wage bill without the revenue, so were happy to spend transfer fees as long as we could lower the ratio of income to wage outlay. 

Now, we seem to have swung the other way.

22 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Fuck me, Borrini was an awful footballer.

How dare you…

“I think the supporters will love him. He’s a goalscorer, but he’s a multifunctional player who can play in a number of positions – and someone I believe has got great growth.

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

51 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah I think Comolli oversaw all the transfers of the second Dalglish era, and as long as Kenny didn't oppose it, they would sign. 

At both of those posts. As far as those two signings go as far as I understand, Kenny played a big part in both Suarez and Carrol. Suarez, Kenny scouted personally while H&G were in charge as scouting was part of the role he had then. Carrol was one on comolli's radar, but Kenny was pushed over the edge with him by his buddy shearer who told him we'd be stupid not to sign him if we had the chance. 

• Like 1

Aquilani was by far and away the worst signing ever.

We built a brilliant squad and then needed to replace Alonso.

Fuck me.

Balotelli not far behind. The man to replace Suarez!

We'd finished 2nd in both seasons prior.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Pound for pound, he is a strong contender for worst ever transfer!

Even as bad as he was, he was still a bee's dick from scraping some value out of his transfer fee. 

I'm still convinced that if he scores that second goal, we win that final. 

• Upvote 1

This is not one for January, obviously, but I just wonder if next summer we might put in an inquiry for Joao Felix?

Statistically could do a bit of everything as a teenager at Benfica, then moved to Atletico where Simeone has reined him in completely. Still a good player, but hasn't exactly set the world on fire with goals (9 in all comps two seasons ago, then 10 last season).

Maybe Atletico Madrid still think he's going to come good and would hold out for 80m+ or something, but I just wonder if maybe they were starting to doubt and 50-60m could get him? This is based on absolutely nothing but a feeling - they apparently did discuss letting him go in the Griezmann deal so it's possible, at least, that they'd consider something. And it's definitely in the mould of the type of deal we look to do - we either buy the best 16 year olds or occasionally pay medium-sized fees for players who are 22-24 and look likely to be entering their peaks with the potential to improve into the "world-class" category.

I just think Klopp would turn him into a superstar. He doesn't exactly profile the same but I just feel like maybe we could move him up into the Firmino role, teach him to press, and he'd be brilliant there for us after he adjusted to it. Mostly wishful thinking, but who knows?

10 hours ago, A_S said:

Even as bad as he was, he was still a bee's dick from scraping some value out of his transfer fee. 

I'm still convinced that if he scores that second goal, we win that final. 

Yeah he completely changed the game. Chelsea couldn’t cope with him.