You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be fair vvd was only a January signing because we'd fucked the summer up so badly.

And weren't coutinho and strurridge on the back of the "apology" summer window? And Suarez happened because we lost Torres. It doesn't fill me with enormous confidence we'll be looking for anyone. 

I thought the idea was to pair Suarez with Torres. Carroll happened because we lost Torres.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be fair vvd was only a January signing because we'd fucked the summer up so badly.

And weren't coutinho and strurridge on the back of the "apology" summer window? And Suarez happened because we lost Torres. It doesn't fill me with enormous confidence we'll be looking for anyone. 

Coutinho was opportunistic just like Suarez though. One couldn't get a game and was available on the cheap (was he under Rafa at the time?) and one had a bad rep.

Its a damn shame we don't use our power and status as a Club to sell oursleves to potential recruits. Instead we look for the easy route through. We are a desirable destination.

I thought with the Nike deal, the momentum of winning some big trophies we would be acting like we were the place to be.

4 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I thought with the Nike deal, the momentum of winning some big trophies we would be acting like we were the place to be.

That's a big disappointment, for sure. We could and should have spent the last couple of transfer windows strutting like Bart and saying "Do you want to play for the best club in the world, or do you want to remain a loser?" (or words to that effect).

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

That's a big disappointment, for sure. We could and should have spent the last couple of transfer windows strutting like Bart and saying "Do you want to play for the best club in the world, or do you want to remain a loser?" (or words to that effect).

Deffo mate. I think we undersell ourselves. Even when we were not really winning stuff, apart from Hodgson, we have the history, status and pull. We need to act like we are a big club.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I thought the idea was to pair Suarez with Torres. Carroll happened because we lost Torres.

We'd offered and stopped bidding at about 12m for Suarez. Then the bid came in from Chelsea and we stuck 10m on our bidding price for Suarez. That deal, wouldn't have happened without the Torres money, the rest was the start of the FSG PR. 

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

What happened to noises surrounding Matheus Cunha? Young. Good prospect with room for Klopp improvement. Seemed to be available for a reasonable price.

Any chance of looking at him In January?

If he costs money then I'd say that will be a No.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I remember at the time being so pissed of we'd spent £35 million on Carroll because we could have got Aguero for a similar amount. Imagine how differently things could have played out if we'd sold Torres and Babel and replaced them with Suarez and Aguero. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I remember at the time being so pissed of we'd spent £35 million on Carroll because we could have got Aguero for a similar amount. Imagine how differently things could have played out if we'd sold Torres and Babel and replaced them with Suarez and Aguero. 

I can remember being so pissed off we bought Carroll because he was fucking shite. 

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Toshack Keegan, Carroll Suarez is the parallel I would guess (wasn't Carroll a Dalglish signing)

Falls apart because Carroll was shit though.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I can remember being so pissed off we bought Carroll because he was fucking shite. 

I remember trying to be positive and trying to explain it away with ‘well, the King has a plan. Downing pumping crosses in for Wor Andy, anything that doesn’t go in Suarez will clear up.  #19 incoming.’

Oh, how very wrong my delusion was.