You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

The Echo reporters are all terribly junior in what they write. They are probably all on a really low salary too, churning out these nonsensical articles. Even the guy who writes the headlines is rehashing the same words in a different order day after day.

If you actually have the misfortune to sit down and read a few, you can't even tell who is writing it as theres no slant or style. It could be Doyle, Gorst or Squires. Its paint by numbers journalism.

They had a Blood Red podcast the other day with gorsts reaction on it about our window. If you read his body language he just doesnt know anything at all he's just guessing and waffling.

Similarly the Wrap and Redmen are both terrible. They've really tried to make a jump up to a serious level but they just look like a bunch of lads down the pub with a blog. They have no more insight than anybody in here or in the ground. But crucially both rely on Club access to expand their content. As they've got bigger and they've quit their own jobs they need to churn out more and more content 24/7, just to stay afloat its desperate stuff. So you can see what a benefit it is to get Jurgen or a player on an interview.

Anyway yeah, the Liverpool journalism scene is pretty poor all round. And whats worse is that they lack authenticity.

1 hour ago, Moctezuma said:

Agreed, I think the evening standard now has a Liverpool correspondent which surprised me when I first saw it in the paper, but gives an indication about how business models for journalism are changing aiming for those clicks.

There was a thing published recently that had is as something like the 5th best supported club in London on about 9% ... I think the highest was only about 13%

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

There was a thing published recently that had is as something like the 5th best supported club in London on about 9% ... I think the highest was only about 13%

Interesting, anecdotally that feels about right. Would good to see the whole list as it always feels like Arsenal are the most represented with replica shirts and scarves, though I don't know whether that is a socio economic thing linked to their fanbase being more drawn from ethnic minority populations.

Is anyone hearing  there’s no value in the January transfer market and the club are going big on Neuhaus and Raphina in the summer alongside our usual youth recruitment that’s served us so well over the last few years? 

•  

11 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Is anyone hearing  there’s no value in the January transfer market and the club are going big on Neuhaus and Raphina in the summer alongside our usual youth recruitment that’s served us so well over the last few years? 

•  

I’m hearing Neuhaus has his heart set on Bayern and Raphina’s asking price is proving a tricky obstacle.

16 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Interesting, anecdotally that feels about right. Would good to see the whole list as it always feels like Arsenal are the most represented with replica shirts and scarves, though I don't know whether that is a socio economic thing linked to their fanbase being more drawn from ethnic minority populations.

I tried to Google it earlier to see if I could find it, but I couldn't. I think the order was 1. Arsenal, 2. Chelsea, 3 Man United, 4 spurs, 5 Liverpool. 

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Similarly the Wrap and Redmen are both terrible. They've really tried to make a jump up to a serious level but they just look like a bunch of lads down the pub with a blog. They have no more insight than anybody in here or in the ground. But crucially both rely on Club access to expand their content. As they've got bigger and they've quit their own jobs they need to churn out more and more content 24/7, just to stay afloat its desperate stuff. So you can see what a benefit it is to get Jurgen or a player on an interview.

Isn't that literally all they claim to be? Can't say either group represent themselves at journalists at all, and both have been running for years regardless of "access". Not a huge fan of either but, as far as criticisms go, that's a load of nonsense.

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Isn't that literally all they claim to be? Can't say either group represent themselves at journalists at all, and both have been running for years regardless of "access". Not a huge fan of either but, as far as criticisms go, that's a load of nonsense.

They’re just content creators like the millions of Tik Tok’ers, Youtubers, and other podcasters. They’ve done well for themselves to be fair. l don’t subscribe to any of their stuff or give them any money because I get my fix of mostly blokes talking shit I don’t agree with on here. 

28 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

They’re just content creators like the millions of Tik Tok’ers, Youtubers, and other podcasters. They’ve done well for themselves to be fair. l don’t subscribe to any of their stuff or give them any money because I get my fix of mostly blokes talking shit I don’t agree with on here. 

Yeah, "influencers".

Like @dave u

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

3 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Not sure of the source but it’s taken from Twitter.

A8054F3A-7DC3-41C8-9DCE-088CCF6100B9.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Maybe pigeon holing all of them as journalists was the wrong way to put it, but their bios have them down as broadcasters and writers anyhoo.

41 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Not sure of the source but it’s taken from Twitter.

A8054F3A-7DC3-41C8-9DCE-088CCF6100B9.jpeg

All along I’ve been saying Liverpool is a 75%\25% split in our favour - mostly taking the piss - but it turns out it’s not too far off the mark. Heads falling off all down County Rd…

Maybe pigeon holing all of them as journalists was the wrong way to put it, but their bios have them down as broadcasters and writers anyhoo.

Yeah, fair enough. Was a bit of a post work moan from me, so went a bit overboard with my point.

Cant speak for Dave but he's always been quite transparent in everything he's written about.

Yeah, just kidding about Dave. 

12 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

“Liverpool squad rebuild has already started and 6 players show it”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-squad-rebuild-six-players-21456187

Fuck me, the Echo is dire.

"Liverpool have rebuilt their squad and Everton have built a stadium."

Fuck right off.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

All along I’ve been saying Liverpool is a 75%\25% split in our favour - mostly taking the piss - but it turns out it’s not too far off the mark. Heads falling off all down County Rd…

Everton themselves did a survey (as part of their stadium prep I think) and stated there were 3 times as many Liverpool supporters in the city, as they expected.

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Previous Januaries have brought us Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and van Dijk.  Four signings of that quality might be OK.

To be fair vvd was only a January signing because we'd fucked the summer up so badly.

And weren't coutinho and strurridge on the back of the "apology" summer window? And Suarez happened because we lost Torres. It doesn't fill me with enormous confidence we'll be looking for anyone. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be fair vvd was only a January signing because we'd fucked the summer up so badly.

And weren't coutinho and strurridge on the back of the "apology" summer window? And Suarez happened because we lost Torres. It doesn't fill me with enormous confidence we'll be looking for anyone. 

Yeah we won’t be signing anyone in January unless all four of Mane, Firmino, Jota and Salah are ruled out for the season.

And then it will be a twenty year old from the worst team in Germany and Kris Boyd on loan.

• Upvote 3