You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You don't think Pearce just published exactly what the club asked him to do you? 

Pearce and all of the journos like him know dick all until they're told what will happen basically just before it's about to happen. There's no way someone would have told him we'd spend lots of money before the window opened. 

Looks to me like the club were looking to give themselves cover briefing that no CL footie meant no money, when things were looking bleak. We turned things around and Pearce maybe just jumped to the logical conclusion that CL meant money, but I think they were just using that bad run for their own benefit.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Ok, what? Why do you think this guy actually gets scoops? He's useless until the deals actually happen. The cunt is as plugged in as you and me. 

It's not a scoop. They're just part of the clubs PR machine. Pearce and all the rest of them don't eat unless they run what the club tells them. They offer absolutely nothing else. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's not a scoop. They're just part of the clubs PR machine. Pearce and all the rest of them don't eat unless they run what the club tells them. They offer absolutely nothing else. 

He's completely clueless. He'll be coming out with an article asking why a forward wasn't bought, if he hasn't already. Maybe they tell him what to say at times, but you're massively overselling his access. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's completely clueless. He'll be coming out with an article asking why a forward wasn't bought, if he hasn't already. Maybe they tell him what to say at times, but you're massively overselling his access. 

I'm not saying he has "access". They just push stories they want printed. It's not like he's given insight, he's just given propaganda. He's not the only one. There's dicks at the echo like Ian Doyle. There's the likes of Melissa Reddy, Neil Jones. They're just there to provide the club a service. Then if they're lucky they'll get an interview with an "insider" that tells them how clever the club are. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Pearce is fucking terrible, I’m not even on about his scoops, just his writing is fucking terrible. He grew up in the footballing hotbed that is Bath for fucks sake. 

I can remember him triggering half the Evertonian fanbase when he wrote a report on one of the derbies slagging Everton off for celebrating a point.

To be fair it did read like random fella down the pub had posted on Facebook after 10 pints of Stella. 

Hacks like Pearce et al have actually become much less important and relevant in this age of news overload.

In the days before 24 hr news, the internet and the social media explosion the small handful of trusted journalists were worth reading as they were the only ones with access to and reporting on what was happening....nowadays there are just loads of them all recycling the same stuff, with as well of course the likes of sky sports with a 24 hr a day dedicated sports news channel to fill - and the clubs themselves have numerous platforms too, that they have millions upon millions of followers they have to keep engaged, and they can just go direct through those platforms - we have come a long way from even the days of clubcall where information and news was limited to very few sources.

The numerous press conferences before the games that are attended by loads of journalists from loads of sources and all the other media duties players and managers do each week and the filling of clubs own channels like twitter, club site, facebook, instagram and whatever else is out there mean that the news and the updates are no longer 'scoops' owned and reported by a small select group.

11 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not saying he has "access". They just push stories they want printed. It's not like he's given insight, he's just given propaganda. He's not the only one. There's dicks at the echo like Ian Doyle. There's the likes of Melissa Reddy, Neil Jones. They're just there to provide the club a service. Then if they're lucky they'll get an interview with an "insider" that tells them how clever the club are. 

The thing that is interesting about that mob is that their own careers are quite pinned/linked to the clubs success in that they get a higher national profile and are invited onto shows when the club is winning to give 'the Liverpool perspective', but invariably broaden their base at that point to become a more generic football correspondent.

So they must undergo a certain degree of internal conflict wanting the club to be successful and realising that effective transfer activity is key to that, while simultaneously having to put out soft soap articles on how well run and intelligent everything is, given their need for access.

From recollection the stand BBC Scotland took against Rangers and the Chronicle took up against Newcastle under Ashley I though was far more admirable (i.e. that of arms length critique, though to be fair in more extreme circumstances, which then resulted in bans). I wonder if the journalists involved have felt that their opportunities have stalled since?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

The thing that is interesting about that mob is that their own careers are quite pinned/linked to the clubs success in that they get a higher national profile and are invited onto shows when the club is winning to give 'the Liverpool perspective', but invariably broaden their base at that point to become a more generic football correspondent.

So they must undergo a certain degree of internal conflict wanting the club to be successful and realising that effective transfer activity is key to that, while simultaneously having to put out soft soap articles on how well run and intelligent everything is, given their need for access.

From recollection the stand BBC Scotland took against Rangers and the Chronicle took up against Newcastle under Ashley I though was far more admirable (i.e. that of arms length critique, though to be fair in more extreme circumstances, which then resulted in bans). I wonder if the journalists involved have felt that their opportunities have stalled since?

There's just so many of these journalists now. If you go back years, most newspapers didn't have anyone dedicated to Liverpool except the echo. That's not to say there wouldn't be a northern or Merseyside correspondent, it's just not the same as these guys that have Liverpool or nothing. In that one dimensional environment, their careers are intrinsically linked to the club wanting to speak to them. Print the clubs message or have your career strangled. The echo was always a place if the club wanted to get a story out, they would use them. They'd exist though in the shadow of the nationals, so they couldn't just be complete propaganda artists, so actually became almost the trusted source. Those days have well gone and the journalists are just a fucking joke these days. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's just so many of these journalists now. If you go back years, most newspapers didn't have anyone dedicated to Liverpool except the echo. That's not to say there wouldn't be a northern or Merseyside correspondent, it's just not the same as these guys that have Liverpool or nothing. In that one dimensional environment, their careers are intrinsically linked to the club wanting to speak to them. Print the clubs message or have your career strangled. The echo was always a place if the club wanted to get a story out, they would use them. They'd exist though in the shadow of the nationals, so they couldn't just be complete propaganda artists, so actually became almost the trusted source. Those days have well gone and the journalists are just a fucking joke these days. 

“Liverpool squad rebuild has already started and 6 players show it”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-squad-rebuild-six-players-21456187

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Agreed, I think the evening standard now has a Liverpool correspondent which surprised me when I first saw it in the paper, but gives an indication about how business models for journalism are changing aiming for those clicks.