You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1 (Aug 28 2021)

tlw content

This would have been a better game if that ridiculously harsh sending off didn't happen... we might have even had a better chance, funnily enough, without the "pressure/expectation" of beating 10 men... 10 men who would have been expertly drilled/managed to defend as a 10-man team.

Chelsea will be very very there or thereabouts.

Our position, yes, is much more "injury-dependent".

Hopefully the "pandemic" of outs we had last year is behind us.

10 hours ago, Gpo1004 said:

I'm glad that Dave mentioned the Main Stand side linesman as he was doing my head in as well.  Couldn't spot the blatant foul on Trent in the second half from a few yards but could see a slight deflection on the opposite side of the pitch from 30 yards or so away.

You could see why the Chelsea players carried on the way they did and it had the desired effect.  The three minutes injury time (not that we would have scored even if he had added on thirty three) summed it up.  They spent so long time wasting in the second half yet none of it was added on.

The way Anthony Taylor handled Chelsea's time-wasting really boiled my piss.I saw Mendy had been yellow-carded because I was right in line with the scoreboard when it was flashed up, which was also how I was told Reece James had been sent off. God forbid that you might find out because it was clearly visible on the field of play thanks to a ref who was in control of matters. Anyway, within five minutes of the start of the second half I knew that there was zero chance that Mendy would get a second yellow for time-wasting, and you can be sure Mendy knew it too. He'd wait ages to pick up the ball, occasionally stopping to take a swig from his water bottle, then trot across to the other side of the six-yard box from where the ball went dead, then take an age to tee up the ball. Only now would the ref signal for him to get on with it, which meant Mendy had license for all the nonsense that had taken place up to then, and he exploited that license to the full. At one point Taylor waved his watch in Mendy's direction to say that he'd be adding all this on, yet given there were four second-half substitutions which are worth 30 seconds each, he added on one minute for everything else! You have to marvel at how someone so impervious to the bleeding obvious can succeed so spectacularly in his chosen field. The fact that it is so prevalent among referees makes me think it is a feature, not a bug.

With all that out of the way, I'd reiterate my post-match comments that I had an absolute whale of a time at the ground on Saturday. When I rocked up to Anfield for the first time way back in November 1996 to see Liverpool play Wimbledon, it was seven seasons removed from the last time Liverpool had won the title. The previous occasion Liverpool had gone seven years without winning the title, they won it (1973). You could sense that the drought was beginning to wear on people, and when the Reds played out an insipid 1-1 draw having taken the lead after only 35 seconds, boos erupted around the ground which I believe was the first time that had happened under Roy Evans. Ever since then, the gnawing sense of frustration at that gap became ever more present, no matter how well they might play on any given day. Well, I think it was gone in general around the ground on Saturday, and it was definitely gone in my mind. It's been two years since Liverpool won the title, and there was a swagger around that overwhelmed the mind-numbing chants of their support. To sing "Fuck off Chelsea FC, you've got no history, SIX European Cups and NINETEEN Leagues, that's what we call history"...this is the way football is meant to be. You go to a game and you enjoy it alongside the spectacle. If you win, great. If you don't, you still had the game and the spectacle. It also helps that getting a ticket wasn't a chore thanks to my wife's season ticket. Having for many years felt match-day going was an experience fraught with that x-decades-since-the-last-title frustration, I now can't wait to get back.

• Upvote 5

Pretty fair report, Dave. 

I knew Taylor was pretty much against LFC - but no free kicks in the whole second half is amazing!!

He warned Mendy about time wasting in the 61st minute, but didn't do a thing about it afterwards or add the time on at the end (3 minutes was a sick joke).

With reference to "Jimmy Krankie" in front of us - he was absolutely shite for the whole game. After he missed a fairly early obvious Chelsea offside a bloke behind me started referring to him as Ronnie Corbett.  His arms were certainly not strong enough for him to raise his flag very often.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Stickman said:

Yet right after the game Redknapp and Neville were praising the refs about how they’re letting a lot of challenges go and players don’t feign injury now or simulate a foul as apparently “they get laughed at”….Not sure who by as I wasn’t fucking laughing watching their antics second half

You do wonder if they really do watch the same game.

How anyone could watch that game and think the ref did well is beyond me, it shows how bad the quality of punditry is. I can't believe people think Gary Neville is a good pundit he's just a loud mouth twat who loves the sound of his own voice.

• Upvote 1

On 31/08/2021 at 11:55, StevieMax said:

And another thing, with all the shithousery surrounding the penalty (mobbing Taylor, Mendy getting in Mo's face, Chelsea players not getting out of the box etc) and in the second half it was as though Mourinho had never left Chelsea.

FA have charged these fuckers now , quite rightly. Fat chance of a points deduction though. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-charged-fa-liverpool-breaking-21456045

The media and pundits collectively didn’t seem to have much of a problem with this appalling behaviour which speaks volumes about the state of the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

FA have charged these fuckers now , quite rightly. Fat chance of a points deduction though. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-charged-fa-liverpool-breaking-21456045

The media and pundits collectively didn’t seem to have much of a problem with this appalling behaviour which speaks volumes about the state of the game. 

They wouldn't. They've now collectively decided that Klopp moans about refs and that's the only narrative they're interested in pushing at the moment.

I think we were far more likely to lose the game if Chelsea didn't have a man sent off. They looked better drilled and more threatening. Hendo on the left doesn't work I hope it's not something we keep trying to do in order to shoe horn Elliot in. Elliot looks great for an 18 year old but there's no way I'd want to weaken our side in order to grow his potential. He's 18 his appearances should reflect that we've all the time in the world with him. If Elliot does play then kieta probably needs to be in the role Henderson played versus Chelsea.

Presumably Thiago will get back into our first choice midfield sooner or later. Which means we'll probably use Harvey as cover, for Cup games and as a bench option rather than as first choice.  But if he keeps turning it on then he'll deservedly get more and more games. 

• dave u unpinned this topic