You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Edwards to step down

Red74

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

I mean, if you think a high profile member of the LFC backroom staff trying to engineer a better contract through the media (and I'm not saying that's the case) would not be erm "unusual" behaviour then I don't know what to say.

The guy is only good because of Klopp until he wants to leave, clearly. That of course then means there's a problem. At least some of the people on here are keeping with their story that the guy wasn't anything special all along. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

I've not got the energy to worry about something that, by your own admission, you don't know is actually happening.

I've certainly not got the energy to conjure some great boardroom drama off the back of that.

Then don't worry about it, I'm not.

No one knows what's happening apart from those on the inside but it doesn't stop people speculating, both positively and negatively, on a supporters forum.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The guy is only good because of Klopp until he wants to leave, clearly. That of course then means there's a problem. At least some of the people on here are keeping with their story that the guy wasn't anything special all along. 

I don't know if I've ever really commented on him before today so I guess you're probably taking about other posters. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The interesting piece of news is that his contract is running down. No one knew that. He's become an internet darling in the last few years and he's simply leveraging that for more money, either here or somewhere else, as anyone else would do in that situation. 

He knows full well all the millions he's saved FSG so it's understandable he wants his cut...now that's 4D chess!

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The interesting piece of news is that his contract is running down. No one knew that. He's become an internet darling in the last few years and he's simply leveraging that for more money, either here or somewhere else, as anyone else would do in that situation. 

He’d know all about that seeing as we let go Emre Can and Gini by their contracts running out.

4 hours ago, Moo said:

Well I'm not sure about that considering his genius was only recognised once Klopp got his feet under the table, funny that.

Yeah, but he's built a myth around that he's the smartest man in the whole kingdom of football. And while he has a machine willing to keep sharing that myth, he doesn't need to be the best, he just needs someone to believe he is and offer him bundles. 

I think the real issue here is if talks are ongoing and I assume he doesn't work with an agent, how does this get out? Either he's leaking it in the hope that some weird fans will demand he stays or optionally FSG don't like his demands and have wanted to let the world know we're perfectly happy with the idea of him going and this internal promotion suits us just fine. 

The contract negotiations of someone in his position should just never be making the press. It's not even like the cunt has a real profile and gives interviews, he just leaks shite about how clever he is. 

I mean, if you look at the incomings and outgoings over the past 3-4 years and the prices we've paid/sold for, it's not exactly a myth, is it?

The hope is that we have a whole backroom team that won't crumble when one man leaves (for example, I'd be much more concerned if we heard that Dr. Graham were also leaving) but to pretend that Edwards is just a 'myth' is a bit crazy.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I mean, if you look at the incomings and outgoings over the past 3-4 years and the prices we've paid/sold for, it's not exactly a myth, is it?

The hope is that we have a whole backroom team that won't crumble when one man leaves (for example, I'd be much more concerned if we heard that Dr. Graham were also leaving) but to pretend that Edwards is just a 'myth' is a bit crazy.

Each to their own. He's made some good numbers selling, which is as much to do with the marketing job klopp does calling them all world beaters imo - the ones people have actually seen play, he can't get rid of. As for the incomings, he was shite before klopp straightened him out. I see no reason why klopp won't do the same with the next analyst who takes over. In fact if as suggested it's promoted from within, he probably already has. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This. People used to bleat that we sold not just cheap but far too cheaply. Now, some are wanting players almost given away because they dont rate them and want someone else in.

There's clearly been a sea change within the club to get market value at the very least. Edwards undoubtedly heads up a very good team and, if he does leave, his successor is very likely his deputy who has been in post for several years.

I still think it’s not really a great sign, no matter whether you think he’s any good or not. He’s only a young fella, it’s not like he’s been here decades, and how could a sport wonk get any better position that he has at Liverpool?

Seems weird that he’d just decide to leave at the end of his contract.

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

I still think it’s not really a great sign, no matter whether you think he’s any good or not. He’s only a young fella, it’s not like he’s been here decades, and how could a sport wonk get any better position that he has at Liverpool?

Perhaps his bosses don't think he's as good as he does? 

6 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Maybe he fancies a job with more autonomy rather than the collegiate approach here, there's certainly more money to be made by a Sporting Director who has complete control of a club.

6 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, I suppose. They could just be taking the easy route, rather than be arsed sacking and replacing him. Still that isn’t great either really.

The thing is, loads of people have this high opinion of him because he does loads of his own PR through the press. So he's elevated to some kind of super star. But we don't know what happens behind the scenes. We don't know if he is seen as just a regular number cruncher and him going will pretty much make no difference. What's for sure, is if he had enough value, we'd find a way. 

Having said all that, I still expect him to end up being "signing of the window". Or maybe the January window, but this leaking out just before deadline day is too coincidental I think. I don't see how it suited either party for this to get out now. 

I thought he was resigning NEXT summer?!

On a more serious note, it looks like he's been found out. Everyone he's sold turned out to be a dud, so its likely no club trusts him anymore, which is probably why we can't flog our deadwood.

18 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Each to their own. He's made some good numbers selling, which is as much to do with the marketing job klopp does calling them all world beaters imo - the ones people have actually seen play, he can't get rid of. As for the incomings, he was shite before klopp straightened him out. I see no reason why klopp won't do the same with the next analyst who takes over. In fact if as suggested it's promoted from within, he probably already has. 

Genuine question: who do you think in world football is better at recruitment than Edwards?

For the budget he's had, to build a team that is winning leagues and Champions Leagues, against the sportswashing clubs throwing money at everything, in my view it's simply amazing. And yes, Klopp is obviously a huge part of that, but, just to take an example, if you put Klopp managing Everton's squad and Rafa managing our squad, we still finish comfortably ahead of them (and they've spent more money than we have). Credit for our recruitment has to go somewhere!

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Genuine question: who do you think in world football is better at recruitment than Edwards?

For the budget he's had, to build a team that is winning leagues and Champions Leagues, against the sportswashing clubs throwing money at everything, in my view it's simply amazing. And yes, Klopp is obviously a huge part of that, but, just to take an example, if you put Klopp managing Everton's squad and Rafa managing our squad, we still finish comfortably ahead of them (and they've spent more money than we have). Credit for our recruitment has to go somewhere!

Where we differ, is I don't believe it's down to Edwards. As I said before, he was shite until klopp told him who not to buy. I think sporting directors are needed in this day and age to take work load off the manager and they almost never know more than the manager. It's an over rated admin position. Everyone used to wank over monchi, until he left Seville for Roma and was shite. They wanked over Steve Walsh till Everton sacked him. They wanked over brandolf and Everton have sidelined him h and honestly I can't think of too many more, because I couldn't be less arsed about the position. Sporting director gets way more credit than the role deserves. Our transfers have been broadly a success under klopp because he knows what he wants from a footballer, when Edwards offers him someone he doesn't think he can work with, we don't buy them. When Rodgers was here it was a fucking shit show with the same guy running recruitment. I'm not the tiniest bit arsed about Edwards going and feel this lad who's getting promoted to replace him will be just as good. 

The income from sales has been unquestionable, however, I wouldn’t be praising his spending record. 

Mo, Sadio, Firmino & Fabinho weren’t discounted when we bought them. Klopp turned them into what they became. 

We got hit for another £20 mill on virgil cos of our fucking around, Allison was near double the previous keeper record and we paid an extra £10m over what Wolves wanted for jota so we could spread the payments over 4 years. 

The less said about what we paid for ox & keita the better. 

His hit rate was terrible before Klopp came in, especially with what happened with the Suarez money.

It’s not genius Financial planning paying or overpaying the market rate, especially when these players are under the radar and would love to come and play for us & klopp .

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Red74 said:

The income from sales has been unquestionable, however, I wouldn’t be praising his spending record. 

Mo, Sadio, Firmino & Fabinho weren’t discounted when we bought them. Klopp turned them into what they became. 

We got hit for another £20 mill on virgil cos of our fucking around, Allison was near double the previous keeper record and we paid an extra £10m over what Wolves wanted for jota so we could spread the payments over 4 years. 

The less said about what we paid for ox & keita the better. 

His hit rate was terrible before Klopp came in, especially with what happened with the Suarez money.

It’s not genius Financial planning paying or overpaying the market rate, especially when these players are under the radar and would love to come and play for us & klopp .

His scoutings been sound since Klopp came in though