You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1 - Match Reaction

tlw content

Judging by the media coverage, the pundits’ shiny new toy of a Lukaku-fronted Chelsea went to Anfield to play Jurgen Klopp’s “yesterday’s news” Reds in the Saturday tea time game. But was it a clash of the titans, a damp squib or something in between?

TLW regulars, Paul Natton and Stu Montagu, join TLW Editor Dave Usher to discuss all the major talking points of the big match, including the surprise selection of Liverpool’s new prodigy, an imperious display by Virgil, the title chances of both sides after the final whistle and a less than savoury chant from some of LFC’s raucous home support. 

Warning: not for children or Evertonians.

View full article

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

Did Taylor gave Liverpool a free kick in the 2nd half? After the pen he gave chelsea loads of free kicks!

I dont know about having a throw in coach, I think we need a corner coach because we seem to have fuck all goal threat at corners in my opinion. Many of our corners dont get into the middle of the box where van Dijk and Matip tend to lurk. Some of the fouls in the box Taylor gave chelsea was embarassing though.

Agree with the contributors, who you going to get of the quality as a 5th striker to come off the bench and be a match winner against a team like chelsea?

I must admit I never heard the chelsea song but it's sad people ignore what Jurgen and the club say.

3 hours ago, shouter said:

Great again boys. Surprised no one mentioned the massive queues again outside the ground.

Me and Paul got in without any problems, as did most others I know. I think Dan had a bit of a wait to get in but he made it with plenty to spare.

What area of the ground was worst affected? I know last week the Anny Road was pretty bad.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

Me and Paul got in without any problems, as did most others I know. I think Dan had a bit of a wait to get in but he made it with plenty to spare.

What area of the ground was worst affected? I know last week the Anny Road was pretty bad.

The Anny Road queue was all around the corner and down Arkles Lane along the park when I walked past 20 mins before kick off. It was absolutely massive, can’t even imagine how much time loads will have missed.

17 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Did Taylor gave Liverpool a free kick in the 2nd half? After the pen he gave chelsea loads of free kicks!

I dont know about having a throw in coach, I think we need a corner coach because we seem to have fuck all goal threat at corners in my opinion. Many of our corners dont get into the middle of the box where van Dijk and Matip tend to lurk. Some of the fouls in the box Taylor gave chelsea was embarassing though.

Agree with the contributors, who you going to get of the quality as a 5th striker to come off the bench and be a match winner against a team like chelsea?

I must admit I never heard the chelsea song but it's sad people ignore what Jurgen and the club say.

Made the point to the some of the lads before that, perhaps given the form of the last couple of years, Bobby and Sadio wouldn't ideally be the perennial 2nd and 3rd options anymore anyway, if we have true title aspirations. Perhaps they should be the options we turn to coming off the bench (which I know Bobby has been at times this season) 

Both don't look like the same players we need them to be anymore, and it's almost at the point where it's been too long to call it a form thing (last season's aberrational goings-on notwithstanding).

I'm not from giving up on either of them, but I just think it's unrealistic to expect we'll ever see them at the consistent level they were at for the first 3-4 years of Klopp's run. Especially given how much of the load they've had to carry over that period of time, the demands of the way we play and how little rest they've been able to have because of a) Origi's pointlessness b) FSG's inactivity in getting them real help and c) Jota being injured for a decent portion of his first season.

I'm sure we'll see flashes and games and maybe even a run of games where they look like their old selves, but I don't think it's even fair to expect that consistency over the course of a season anymore. The fact Mo is still doing it game after game is the remarkable thing here.

7 hours ago, dave u said:

I got to the ground about 4.45 and there where massive  queues all over the main stand,kop,kenny and Annie road. 

I can't figure out why it's still such a problem. Loads are getting in well earlier than usual so there shouldn't be as many people trying to get in during the last 45 mins prior to kick off. 

I was in line about an hour before kick off. The line wasn't massive but it was bigger than I'm used to. It went fairly quick though and I got in the same way I would have by using my card. I brought up the QR card and just put my phone straight into the reader.

So for there to be queues it has to be that the system isn't working properly and people are needing several attempts to get it to work.

If so, they need to do a better job of telling people what they need to do. Put videos out on socials and have stewards walking up and down the line telling everyone what they'll need to do when they get to the gate.

Because I'm not getting in an hour before every fucking game. 15 minutes before is fine and I want to get back to that asap.

I feel bad for anyone who missed kick off despite being there in plenty of time. They should get a partial refund.

It's not good enough is it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dave u said:

I can't figure out why it's still such a problem. Loads are getting in well earlier than usual so there shouldn't be as many people trying to get in during the last 45 mins prior to kick off. 

I was in line about an hour before kick off. The line wasn't massive but it was bigger than I'm used to. It went fairly quick though and I got in the same way I would have by using my card. I brought up the QR card and just put my phone straight into the reader.

So for there to be queues it has to be that the system isn't working properly and people are needing several attempts to get it to work.

If so, they need to do a better job of telling people what they need to do. Put videos out on socials and have stewards walking up and down the line telling everyone what they'll need to do when they get to the gate.

Because I'm not getting in an hour before every fucking game. 15 minutes before is fine and I want to get back to that asap.

I feel bad for anyone who missed kick off despite being there in plenty of time. They should get a partial refund.

It's not good enough is it?

No and loads missed at least  the first 10 mins. It just doesn’t work and I knew there would be massive problems back in may as it didn’t work properly against palace and they’ve had 3 months to sort it out. I’ve heard the club want to bin it off but it’s the premier league that are pushing it so I’d bet your life some twat connected to them has shares in the company behind the technology. It’s a massive safety issue for me and I can’t believe the club with our history are being so flippant about it. I applied for photo cards as my lads autistic and those queues would freak him out and thank god they’ve put us in the disability access gate instead of M in the Annie road where we normally are and have been straight in. It’s just horrible to see tho and takes you back to the dark days. Feels like we are going backwards.

• Upvote 1

We need to find out whether other PL clubs who have attendances comensurate to ours, are having similar problems or, it is something just affecting Liverpool. Southampton had issues for their first home game but I havent heard about any others.

I think part of the problem is people have different makes of phones, Apple and Android with different versions of operating systems. I dont know but maybe different phones have their NFC circuitry in different places and some phones need to be placed high up or low down on the reader? NFC was designed to transfer data between 2 phones held back to back contacting one another.

If you hold your phone at the bottom, is the reader sensitive enough to bridge the gap because NFC doesnt do distances of more than 4cms which is less than 2 inches!

It's bad enough getting stuck behind someone wanting to use Google Pay or the Apple equivalent in a store. At a football stadium with 10's of thousands of people all using the same technology and having issues, it's easy to see how queues get so big.

Sincere apologies as I have not caught this podcast version. I will be better next time I promise.

Regarding getting in. We started queuing at 4pm. We got in at 4:30 and then had to queue for 20 minutes for a can of warm Carlsberg poured into a plastic pint glass. Just horrible and made the build up proper shit.

• dave u unpinned this topic