You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is the hardest job in the world?

Elite

No just from an educational/skill perspective. 

Undercover police officer has got to be up there for me.

You've got to live a complete lie ensuring your story is rock solid and you can't get complacent with it, are pretty much on your own within incredibly dangerous environments/people and are one slip of the tongue/leaked information away from being brutally murdered. Must be mentally exhausting.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Got to be those poor slave labour buggers the Qataris use from India and the likes, fucking 50 degree heat in a portacabin for fuck all wages. 

Yeah, it'll be something like this. Or maybe agricultural workers in some country with no labour protections, just working bent over for 14-hour days in the blazing heat thinning cotton plants or something. Or mining in one of those oligarch's mines in West Africa in brutal conditions.

17 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My Grandsons mum is a paediatric nurse. When she was training and on placement she worked on a children's cancer ward for a few weeks and during that time a couple of little ones died.

Hard isn't a strong enough word.

That is grim. I'd never cope personally and would constantly be in pieces. She must be a strong girl and god bless her for it.

24 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My Grandsons mum is a paediatric nurse. When she was training and on placement she worked on a children's cancer ward for a few weeks and during that time a couple of little ones died.

My Mum used to be a MacMillan nurse in North Wales- there was a spike in cases there after Chernobyl. Horrific.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That is grim. I'd never cope personally and would constantly be in pieces. She must be a strong girl and god bless her for it.

She's a lovely girl and a fantastic mum to our grandson. Even though my lad and her split up and are both now in new relationships, we are in regular contact with her and I couldn't be more proud of her if she was my own daughter.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Personal experience of that fella and your are bang on the money there. Alder hey hospital some years back and my granddaughter was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma at stage 4, she spent 2-3 months in there. The pain and heartache those nurses must experience quite regularly, would make cowering wrecks of us all. Physical hardship is one thing, but the mental and emotional strain those nurses experience is like nothing on earth I reckon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Personal experience of that fella and your are bang on the money there. Alder hey hospital some years back and my granddaughter was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma at stage 4, she spent 2-3 months in there. The pain and heartache those nurses must experience quite regularly, would make cowering wrecks of us all. Physical hardship is one thing, but the mental and emotional strain those nurses experience is like nothing on earth I reckon. 

Ah, really sorry to hear that mate. Horrible.

That's where her placement was Alder Hey amongst others. 

I imagine it takes a special breed to be able to cope with the stress involved, massive highs when things go well to massive lows when they don't.

I know I wouldn't be able to do it.

30 minutes ago, Mudface said:

My Mum used to be a MacMillan nurse in North Wales- there was a spike in cases there after Chernobyl. Horrific.

I remember there being a lot of worry around then. My lad was born in May 85, only about a month after Chernobyl and it was always on the news so my Mrs was panicking.

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I really dont know how people have the strenght of character  to do this. Must be unbelievable hard.