You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This chant that we are getting grief for

Bjornebye

We should stop singing it. That is true. Absolutely and I hope it's called out away at Chelsea if anyone decides. 

The issue isn't about the song. It's the targeted 'anti-publicity' that we get. Easily the most respectful fans in the league and we get tarnished with a brush that every other club has sung. Cunts fuck off 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Racism in all its forms and guises has been a problem for an eternity. Why the offence now?

The sexual exploitation and abuse of women by powerful and influential men has been a problem for an eternity. Why the offence now?

For different and varying reasons, these societal problems are being addressed and highlighted now more than they ever were before. The advent of social media has made it possible for more widespread attention and momentum behind movements such as #MeToo because the mainstream media have done nothing to address the problem, but rather perpetuate them. This is directly because they are either owned or controlled by the very people who are engaged in said offences.

They were wrong then and they're no less wrong now. It seems people are offended that these various forms of bigotry are being highlighted by those who've suffered due to them. What's it like when the shoe is on the other foot for a change?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm deeply offended by anyone calling me shit so that'll need banned too.

In fact, I'm away for a wee cry now.

Don't be a dick.

Gay people have been getting assaulted - in Liverpool. In 2021 - simply for being gay. This goes far, far beyond hurt feelings.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Once you realise that the song has more of a negative effect on your own fans, then it's time to pack that song in. That should be pretty fucking obvious.

Exactly, racing to the bottom with Chelsea, Mancs, and Bitters. That's a competition I'd rather we didn't try to compete in.

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Don't be a dick.

Gay people have been getting assaulted - in Liverpool. In 2021 - simply for being gay. This goes far, far beyond hurt feelings.

I've said we should stop singing the rent boy song.

I'm not talking about that here, I'm talking about the notion that all nasty songs should be stopped.

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We should stop singing it. That is true. Absolutely and I hope it's called out away at Chelsea if anyone decides. 

The issue isn't about the song. It's the targeted 'anti-publicity' that we get. Easily the most respectful fans in the league and we get tarnished with a brush that every other club has sung. Cunts fuck off 

Nothing wrong in what you said there, Stig but complaing about it and expecting fairness would be like Grandpa Simpson shouting at a cloud. 

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've said we should stop singing the rent boy song.

I'm not talking about that here, I'm talking about the notion that all nasty songs should be stopped.

Nobody is saying"all nasty songs should be stopped".

People are saying that racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism and taking the piss out of deaths go beyond "nasty".

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

People are saying that racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism and taking the piss out of deaths go beyond "nasty".

3 Stacks said things like 'Sign On' have no place in Football. That's not racist, homophobic, anti-Jewish or taking the piss out of deaths.

He'll be wanting us to stop the 'Manchester is full of shit' song as well as that's much the same.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

3 Stacks said things like 'Sign On' have no place in Football. That's not racist, homophobic, anti-Jewish or taking the piss out of deaths.

He'll be wanting us to stop the 'Manchester is full of shit' song as well as that's much the same.

It makes fun of poor people who live in poor socio-economic conditions and can't get jobs. Why would you want this to continue being sung? Especially as our fans are often the target. It has nothing to do with football. It's peak "shit banter".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, an tha said:

I am not doubting you when you say you have never heard it from us, but i am surprised.

If you have ever been the game when we have them at Anfield or at Plastic Bridge or even at the neutral venues when we played them in cup semis or finals, the chant has been there - often and loud.

I’m another that never heard it either, maybe it was sung at Stamford Bridge pre Abramovich, I’ve only been there twice so I couldn’t say but I never heard it sung at Anfield.

You're never going to stop offensive songs unless the footballing organisations start docking points for any infringement (Which hurts the fans the most).

From a purely emotional perspective, when rival fans are singing offensive songs it's perfectly natural to want to retaliate, which then means more offensive stuff being sung back.

Not saying it's right but that's how humans work. If someone calls your mother a whore, you don't retort by naming all her strengths, you say something offensive back.

It requires universal condemnation and punishment to stop it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Elite said:

You're never going to stop offensive songs unless the footballing organisations start docking points for any infringement (Which hurts the fans the most).

From a purely emotional perspective, when rival fans are singing offensive songs it's perfectly natural to want to retaliate, which then means more offensive stuff being sung back.

Not saying it's right but that's how humans work. If someone calls your mother a whore, you don't retort by naming all her strengths, you say something offensive back.

It requires universal condemnation and punishment to stop it.

And you give them a sound twatting.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It’s an all or nothing thing though. Singing about a football players mother liking Scouse cock for example, does that not go beyond nasty? We’re getting into that area again of who decides who can and can’t be offended and who decides.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, fungus said:

It dates to abramovich taking over and mercenaries going there for the money doesn't it? Hence rent boy, how about changing it to Chelsea prostitutes then? 

Having said that, everyone is a fucking mercenary now so not sure what the point of still keeping it is

No. It’s been sung as long as I’ve been going and old enough to be aware of what our fans were singing.

If you don’t want grief for singing something that the gay community says it offensive, don’t sing it. Simple.

This will not be a long term news item because it won’t get sung other than when plying chelsea. Had it not been sung toward Gilmour, which was ridiculous and Embarrassing in its own right, I’m not sure it would be getting any attention to be honest.

we’re also not really getting panned for it, it’s getting highlighted and that’s very different.

hopefully it now disappears and doesn’t come back, as while I don’t personally think it’s homophobic (as I am pretty sure it has no intent and without intent I don’t think it can be) that doesn’t mean it’s not offensive to some people and off putting to fellow fans who shouldn’t be made to feel excluded.

let it be consigned to history now, but while it’s been a chant that’s existed for a long time and one I’ve sung, it’s not one that is trotted out week after week - but is reserved for playing Chelsea, which doesn’t happen all that often anyway.

28 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It makes fun of poor people who live in poor socio-economic conditions and can't get jobs. Why would you want this to continue being sung? Especially as our fans are often the target. It has nothing to do with football. It's peak "shit banter".

I hate the sign on song but I defend their right to sing it, I've sung far worse myself at the game.

As I said earlier in the thread, it's Football, not an under 12 girls flower arranging competition.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mook said:

I hate the sign on song but I defend their right to sing it, I've sung far worse myself at the game.

As I said earlier in the thread, it's Football, not an under 12 girls flower arranging competition.

Dunno mate. Those events can get quite nasty.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm sure you sitting on the internet bitching about what match going Liverpool supporters do is also a proud accomplishment.

Yes, I definitely have the moral superiority over the "top lad" matchgoers who sing the usual offensive nonsense to release the anger they have from the fact they lead miserable lives. 

Singing 'Sign on', especially by fans from areas with a higher unemployment rate than Liverpool is hypocritical, but not offensive in the way racist or homophobic chants are. It's a social commentary chant, albeit extremely outdated and no longer relevant, but that won't stop it being sung. On the other hand, as far as football is concerned, 'Manchester is full of shit' is 100% true, relevant and bang up to date! Let them have it!

50 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I’m another that never heard it either, maybe it was sung at Stamford Bridge pre Abramovich, I’ve only been there twice so I couldn’t say but I never heard it sung at Anfield.

Fair do's....all i can say is personally i have heard it every time i have been at a game v them and heard it loud and long and often - home, away or neutral.

It is on a par with 'blue and white shite' for the bitters and 'manchester is full of shit' for the manc mutants in terms of 'regularity....in my experience anyway, of course we all have different experiences....

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fair do's....all i can say is personally i have heard it every time i have been at a game v them and heard it loud and long and often - home, away or neutral.

It is on a par with 'blue and white shite' for the bitters and 'manchester is full of shit' for the manc mutants in terms of 'regularity....in my experience anyway, of course we all have different experiences....

Agreed.

Seeing a few reds on twitter having a go at Chelsea fans for singing Hillsborough songs yesterday. Now I got in the ground about 20 minutes before kick off and never heard them sing anything about it once and I sit about 50 feet away from the away end. 

They gave a short burst of sign on but that just got laughed down. 

Other than that they never shut up about being European champions. The bastards.