You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This chant that we are getting grief for

Bjornebye

22 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I find that hard to believe. What did he think the boys had to 'rent'?

I honestly always thought it was a dig at them in the way that they sold out to abramovic. I never knew any of the background from that article about where the term rent boy originated and why. I never even considered rent boys to be exclusively gay, just that men pay for sex services more than women maybe.

I was confused at the recent reaction to it due to all that. I think there must be others under the same illusion.

Klopp suggesting we only sing songs to support our own team, while nice and fluffy in its idea, is shite. Isn’t that what football is all about - the tribalism and “banter”? 

Another for the shitness of modern football thread

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, belarus said:

Klopp suggesting we only sing songs to support our own team, while nice and fluffy in its idea, is shite. Isn’t that what football is all about - the tribalism and “banter”? 

Another for the shitness of modern football thread

I could be wrong, but I think we tend to sing about our rivals/opponents less than other teams' fans do anyway.

• Upvote 1

Obviously I dont know all the clubs that sing about us or their oppos. It seems to me, it's just united who constantly sing about us even when they arent playing us. For years they sung their own little ditty of "You'll never get a job" every game at Old Trafford.

The only song we now sing about other teams is 'Bring on yer Internazionale.....' which is a derivation of 'Bring on yer man united's.....'

Sure, there's a couple about everton but we only sing them in derbies.

We tend to mainly only sing about others when we play them...and even then it is less than most other clubs do in my experience.

Most notable exceptions would be 'we hate nottingham forest, we hate everton too.....'

Don't hear it much these days mind.

The aforementioned 'Bring on yer internazionale....'

Might be an odd one or two more but that is about it.

52 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I could be wrong, but I think we tend to sing about our rivals/opponents less than other teams' fans do anyway.

Yeah, agree with that. But even blue and white shite or whatever - bit too cuddly for a misery like me to accept all just go to football and sing about positivity and love of our own lads always.

Obviously fall short of the stabbing, general violence and swinging your kids at opposition players like, but some edge is a welcome part of the match going experience for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

We tend to mainly only sing about others when we play them...and even then it is less than most other clubs do in my experience.

Most notable exceptions would be 'we hate nottingham forest, we hate everton too.....'

You’d lose Duncan is a tampon type of songs in all that sweeping through and stopping singing at opposition fans. And for that reason, I’m out

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Even songs like that are, ultimately, songs about Liverpool, which mention other teams (rather than shit like "in my Liverpool slum" or "Always the Victim").

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, No2 said:

I didn't hear any sign of this last night, anyone there that can confirm?

Yeah, it happened the only time Gilmour came to take a corner over that side. Wasn’t loud and didn’t last for long, but there was a group of young scalls behind us that were straight on it and a few others dotted about. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yeah, it happened the only time Gilmour came to take a corner over that side. Wasn’t loud and didn’t last for long, but there was a group of young scalls behind us that were straight on it and a few others dotted about. 

Quieter and less frequent than last time, then. That's something.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

FA have written to all clubs clarifying that the "rent boy" chant is homophobic and will be treated as such.

I can't help feeling a bit smug that it was us - one of our fans' groups, our manager and our captain - who have taken the lead on this.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/important-step-taken-clubs-could-25969955 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

FA have written to all clubs clarifying that the "rent boy" chant is homophobic and will be treated as such.

I can't help feeling a bit smug that it was us - one of our fans' groups, our manager and our captain - who have taken the lead on this.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/important-step-taken-clubs-could-25969955 

We live in more enlightened times, hopefully. The chant is now on a par with the 'runway' song and bar a few morons, we dont sing that any more thankfully.

Personally, my favourite Chelsea song was  ‘one man went to lift, went to lift to frank Lampard, one man and a forklift truck went to lift Frank Lampard… two men went to lift…’

Miss the Happy Al’s alway days

I do remember an away day a Bolton and people singing Amir Khans homosexual. Always felt a bit uneasy at the time.

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Hillsborough shouts are still fair game though, right?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

People were singing it at both cup finals last year.

24 minutes ago, Special K said:

Hillsborough shouts are still fair game though, right?

Not to mention clubs that are owned by thieving oligarchs, or murdering, homophobic, misogynist regimes. But of course, they bring money into the PL.