You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This chant that we are getting grief for

Bjornebye

4 hours ago, Red74 said:

Because of the sanctimonious bores comparing a chant no one was ever bothered about till now to real homophobia where young kids are getting their heads kicked in just for being gay.

Imagine being so wilfully dense as to pretend not to see any link between bigoted chanting and bigoted violence.

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Aah but you see, you know why they get labelled. 

There isn't a fanbase that is without its bellends. Your lot certainly has them, you might argue not as many or as bad as the other lot, they will counter that.

The point is, you can't moan that we get labelled when you are quick to label others with broad sweeping statements. I remember your classic that Rangers fans are bigots. 

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I find that hard to believe. What did he think the boys had to 'rent'?

What is hard to believe?

The chant at the Chelsea game was noticeably quieter and less frequent than it normally would be. The obvious explanation is that thousands of us (myself included) who had previously chanted it without a second thought had had it explained to us that the chant is homophobic and harmful to some of our fellow Reds; once that had been explained, we decided not to be dicks. The author of this article says she went through the same process in 2012. What's unbelievably about that?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

She said someone explained to her, so she stopped.

My guess is that, like loads of people have said, she never gave it much thought beyond it being a dig at Abramovic.

Someone had to explain to her what a song called chelsea rent boys meant?

Surely even if it was about Ambravonich..which it never was..its still a derogatory term?

18 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Someone had to explain to her what a song called chelsea rent boys meant?

Surely even if it was about Ambravonich..which it never was..its still a derogatory term?

She's saying she never stopped to think about the impact of the song until someone pointed it out to her; she's really not alone in that.

18 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

It was suggested we should only sing song that support the team

How does 'well kick fuck out of you'do that?

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

You keep missing the point here for some reason.

Both Jurgen Klopp & a poster on this forum have suggested that we only sing songs in support of the team.

It's bollocks to suggest that that is ever going to happen.

Maybe I've been misreading things, but I was getting a whiff of thin-end-of-the-wedge/PC-gone-mad nonsense, to the effect that if we stop chanting "rentboys" we'll only be allowed to sing hymns. If that wasn't yours & Arnie's meaning, then I'll stand corrected and withdraw my "bollocks" (so to speak).