You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This chant that we are getting grief for

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Pete said:

When the Mancs et all stop chanting about scousers and stereotypical opinions then perhaps the media can jump all over us and say we’re terrible people for chanting this then I’ll listen. Until then they can all fuck off with there fake objections and morality.  

What’s the media got to do with right and wrong?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Razoray said:

We aren't being asked to stop singing it to appease the media. We are being asked to stop singing it because it is hurtful to some of our fellow fans. 

As for the media and some faux-concerned journalists. Fuck them. 

Exactly. 

A lot of whataboutery here.  Our LGB fan group has stated the song is offensive. Our manager has made it clear the song shouldn't be sung. The club likewise. 

Mongs gonna mong though, the likes of Chelsea will boo kneeling and the mancs and Everton will come with their usual Hillsborough, heysel and poverty shouts. We can't control that. 

We can control the songs we sing at the ground. 

Edit - I'm aware drunkenly posted FUCKING INTO THESE RENT BOYS REDS on twitter before anyone points out the hypocrisy of me subjecting my 50 followers 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

It's fine to say it needs to stop, it's fine to ask why we're being highlighted, it's fine to ask when are other hurtful songs sung by other sets of fans going to get proper attention.  It's not whateboutery to point out the hypocrisy as long as we do our bit and agree it needs to stop.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alex_K said:

I never sang it because, to be honest, it's all a bit "thick" and always was (up there with John Terry's Ma & He'll Hit you with a Pound Carragher in the songbook artistry stakes. Not quite the Torres bounce.). But I severely question this narrative that 'one or two ole fellas' remember it being sung in those heady olden days of the .. late 1980s/1990s .. which next to no one else can remember, and which was never mentioned in that distant epoch of the ... 2000s ... when the song was popularised. Regardless, the discussion is hardly about the song, more about the debate of whether it had homophobic intent, which is a discussion worth having. I wouldn't compare it with the race-driven songbooks of old .. because they clearly were racist in intent, origin & design ("Honest, when I threw a banana at John Barnes it was merely a critique on the over-abundance of exotic fruit") .. this song always seemed to lean more on the mercenary aspect than any disdainful homophobic slur.

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Arguably the best post on this forum this year. 

I'll take the TLW Oscar as the thread creator.  Thanks,  cheers , yeah see you later, thanks, hey x 

Alex suggesting that fellow Reds are liars, simply because he doesn't have any personal memories of something that wouldn't have been personally memorable to him is "post of the year" material? Nah.

As for what the song "leans on" do we really want to go there? Plenty of other fans will tell you what "Always the Victim" leans on and how they don't link it to events of 32 years ago; are we going to cut them the same slack (and award them Post Of The Year status)?

This isn't difficult.

1. Most people who sang this song (before the last couple of weeks) did so with no homophobic intent and without realising how it was hurting people.

2.  Nobody can now plead ignorance of the impact this song has.

3.  Anyone who sings this song - especially those Reds who were specifically asked not to by fellow Reds, the manager and the captain - are cunts and need to be called out as cunts.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Posted some of this on Twitter yesterday and addressed it in the podcast last night, which Dave will be putting out imminently. Apologies for being repetitive but it’s worth putting here, I hope. 

It was deliberate yesterday; belligerent almost. Most Reds are being totally honest in saying there’s no homophobic intent, but they’re missing the fucking point. It’s a slap in the face to our LGBT+ fans. It’s hurtful to some of them. So knowing that, why continue? 

When they’re literally saying, “Please don’t”, why the fuck are some continuing? For fuck’s sake!!! We’ve all got LGBT+ family & friends. Why the fuck would we knowingly hurt them? It’s just fucking wrong, regardless of your intentions.

Blows my mind how people put shit like this in a mental box marked, “political

correctness” and then react to being told what to say accordingly when it’s got fuck all to do with being politically correct and everything to do with listening to how these words make other people feel.

Show some fucking empathy. Imagine how it feels to be bombarded with words, ideas and attitudes on a daily basis that make you feel unaccepted, rejected and worse. Just because of how you love. 

I felt angry and ashamed yesterday. It was kind of understandable before Kops Out and Klopp made their point, but there’s no excuse now. It was a “fuck you” to Klopp, Kops Out and all our LGBT+ fans yesterday and that’s a fucking disgrace. 

Every. Single. Word.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

It's come up as an issue sporadically over the years, Kick It Out released a statement when we were singing it in 2019, West Ham fans have been pulled up on it. It was brought up in a Stonewall report way back in 2009, lots of other instances.

Fair enough. I've never seen it reported in the media in the way it has been this past week, although that may be because we were never singled out for it before so it's never caught my attention.

• Like 1

I've lived or worked in Chelsea since the early 90s.

I've been a Kop-end season ticket holder since 1997, and a regular visitor of London stadiums since 1991.

I'd never heard (or noticed) the rent boy chant pre-Abramovich.

I instantly knew it had homophobic connotations.

My assumption was that it infers that young men are doing what they don't really want to be doing, simply for the money.

I got caught up in the chant yesterday, quickly realised what I was doing, and subsequently shut the fuck up.

I don't want to sing the song anymore, knowing it's offending our own supporters, and members of the LGBT+ community.

I will not act based on what supporters of other clubs do or don't do.

I will continue to point out the hypocrisy of said supporters, as well as the two-faced media.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Liverpool fans don't sing that.

I know they don't, we all know which fans sing it.

What I was saying is now the club has removed any ambiguity about whether the "rent boy" song is homophobic next time always the victim is sung at us they need to make the same sort of statement. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I don't see the problem with it, it's Football, not under 12 girls flower arranging & the song isn't really homophobic. If we can't have a pop at utter cunts like Chelsea, what's the point? Part of the reason I've stopped going to be honest, this fucking circus around everything. I've stood in a stadium with 50,000 mancs singing about Hillsborough & didn't complain to anyone or see any managers giving interviews about it. Fuck them is my attitude.

Having said that, it seems to be causing more upset amongst Liverpool supporters now than these rent boy shagging cunts so probably time to knock it on the head.

The problem with it is simply this.....

It does not matter if the person or persons you're aiming the chant at is or are gay or straight.

When you use that chant against a straight or gay person, it infers the idea that homosexuality is wrong....that being gay is a negative thing and also an insult to a straight person.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I know they don't, we all know which fans sing it.

What I was saying is now the club has removed any ambiguity about whether the "rent boy" song is homophobic next time always the victim is sung at us they need to make the same sort of statement. 

The clubs whose fans sing it need to make that statement. Everyone needs to get their own house in order.

From the SKD lower, it sounded like it was being sung really loud in the ARE, but seemed to get shut down. Hopefully a sign that our crowd is starting to police itself a little. I couldn't hear much of what the Chelsea fans were chanting but, even if it was obnoxious, there's no need to get into a race to the bottom with them. "You'll never work again" was responded to with "Fuck the Tories", a perfectly adequate retort, in my opinion.

Agree with Paul, AoT and An Tha as well as others posting similar sentiments.

I too, however, am also pissed off that it's us being highlighted when fuck all is generally said when other club's fans are doing and singing worse. It stinks and I understand the sentiments of everyone highlighting it. There's a simple way to stop that though; don't give them any reason to call us out on shit.

I'm glad Roger isn't offended by it because it would anger me even more if I thought he was. Unfortunately not everyone will view it the way he does and it is offensive to many people, so just fucking pack it in.

There are no ifs ands or buts here, just stop fucking singing it.

And it 100% pre dates Abramovic as I remember it from when I was a kid and it was definitely homophobic. I agree that for most people now it isn't, but it doesn't matter. You've been asked nicely to stop it and didn't. You've then been told firmly to stop it, and didn't.

Just fucking stop it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Fuck the media, let's do it for our own supporters and when it stops we can point the finger and say we did our part now you go and demand the same of every other club.

Spot on to be fair. Just pissed me off that we got grief

This issue is beginning to bother me. As if we're the only fans to use that term about Chelsea! Every fucking club calls them the same thing, and have done so for decades. Why are we being singled out??? Why isn't anyone saying anything about the endless shit Chelsea fangs sing about us, such as murderers, Hillsborough, sign on etc. Fuck this bullshit, the club needs to stop giving the media ammo and just shut up about it now. 

Chelsea, their players, and anyone else it may be sung to or about are a side issue in this as to the wrongness of it. It's not about Billy Gilmour, Chelsea FC, or anyone else, it's about how this derogatory term makes present day LGBT+ supporters of Liverpool, or any other club feel. It's being used as a derogatory term.

The fact it's been sung by fans up and down the country for however long is irrelevant. We've never measured ourselves as LFC fans by what any other set of fans sing or talk about, and we shouldn't be doing so on this. The media highlight is on LFC is because that's what they always love to do.

The follow on from the Klopp & Kop Out interview is disingenuously creating a media narrative that Liverpool is a homophobic club, because the interview is supposedly an 'admission' that there's a problem at LFC without reference to the fact that it's a widespread problem. They should instead be acknowledging that Klopp, being the class act and compassionate human being that he is, has led the way in being the first and only one to actually address the issue and highlight it with the interview. He was unequivocal in his condemnation of it and has asked that it not be sung anymore.

It serves as an education to those who may genuinely not have understood the context in which it was and is offensive. They cannot say they don't understand why, any longer, and whoever continues to sing this chant is directly disrespecting Klopp and all that he stands for, as a football manager or as a fellow human. He doesn't want to stand beside Liverpool fans who are bigots of any sort, who only like or respect him when he leads us to victory, but who dismiss his beliefs and views on how others should be treated. Nor should any fan.

Liverpool FC and its fans has always been about solidarity and unity and fighting against others, standing up for our own, regardless of what anyone else thinks of us. What fans of other clubs do or say is of no consequence to what we do or don't. We sing about our club, not others. We can leave singing about other clubs that we're not even playing against, to other clubs' fans.

Our manager and the overwhelming majority of fans want all supporters to feel part of an inclusive club and not feel ostracised or any way an outsider when something offensive is reeled out. Every LFC fan should feel the same disdain for bigotry, whether it be homophobia or racism, as they do for anyone who shows disrespect to the 97, or anything related to Heysel. We're not just all LFC fans together when we're waving flags and singing when winning, but on the street, too.

Nobody should be made to feel like their sense of belonging is any less because of who they love. For any LGBT+ LFC fan, there should never be any situation that gives rise to the feeling of 'You're a Liverpool fan and You'll Never Walk Alone... unless you're gay'. That's what it's about. Not fucking irrelevant Chelsea!

• Upvote 7

27 minutes ago, Baltar said:

This issue is beginning to bother me. As if we're the only fans to use that term about Chelsea! Every fucking club calls them the same thing, and have done so for decades. Why are we being singled out??? Why isn't anyone saying anything about the endless shit Chelsea fangs sing about us, such as murderers, Hillsborough, sign on etc. Fuck this bullshit, the club needs to stop giving the media ammo and just shut up about it now. 

We're singled out because our own LGBT fans brought it up. The shitty media have picked up on this and hence we're getting grief all round. 

We shouldn't sing it if it's making our own fans uncomfortable. It's a shit chant anyway.