You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool v Chelsea - A History Making Rivalry

tlw content

The debut episode of the midweek TLW podcast looks ahead to the massive Liverpool vs Chelsea game at Anfield on Saturday, while recapping the key moments from the two sides’ bitter rivalry.

What made it so fierce during the Rafa and Mourinho years? Which of the big games stand out among the highest highs and lowest lows? And how should the Liverpool legacies of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres’ be affected by their associations with Chelsea?

Chris Smith is joined by TLW editor Dave Usher and long-time contributors Ian Brown and John Gallagher with some great stories from our time following the Reds’ classic battles with the Londoners.

View full article

• Upvote 6

• dave u pinned this topic

Irrespective of all the water under the bridge, forum wars and mercenary hand-rubbing since, how great did this moment feel at the time back in that 2007 semi. He might as well have been puffing on a cigar while Geremi hobbled up to take his pen like The Mummy.

8FCC94BB-4900-495D-8BC1-353BABC0978E.jpeg

Rafa pulling that out while we stuck them out on the penalties they’d desperately hung on for by hook or by crook, then Shitcoat risibly saying the best team lost afterwards - which even his fawning media pack fanboys started questioning for once - really summed up the contrast back then.

The little cunt never got to run around Anfield making getting to a European final at our expense all about him, and I’ll never not be grateful for that.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Justice Negs said:

Irrespective of all the water under the bridge, forum wars and mercenary hand-rubbing since, how great did this moment feel at the time back in that 2007 semi. He might as well have been puffing on a cigar while Geremi hobbled up to take his pen like The Mummy.

8FCC94BB-4900-495D-8BC1-353BABC0978E.jpeg

Rafa pulling that out while we stuck them out on the penalties they’d desperately hung on for by hook or by crook, then Shitcoat risibly saying the best team lost afterwards - which even his fawning media pack fanboys started questioning for once - really summed up the contrast back then.

The little cunt never got to run around Anfield making getting to a European final at our expense all about him, and I’ll never not be grateful for that.

Was always gutted Fowler didn’t get to score the winning penalty that night but it was great to do them again in a semi 

• Upvote 1

There was so much we could have included here, it could have gone for hours. It would have been awesome to look at some games outside of those peak rivalry years too. 

96/97 stands out for me. My first ever time on The Kop. My mum's first game. Snotted then 5-1 on Paddy Berger's home debut. Then there was the 3-1 away in October/November 2015, which was the first time under Klopp I thought 'hang on we might be onto something with this fella' 

Hendo's absolute stonker the year after, Sturridge's worldie injury time equaliser, Mo's 'tree pose' celebration...

We'd still be talking now though.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

Berger's hat-trick too. Think that was his second season. Didn't he get two on his home debut and three the season after, or was it the other way around? Frank Sinclair scored a worldie own goal in one of them too.

Two on his home debut. Think the hat-trick was the year after wasn't it? One of them was a lob at the Anny Road end? 

Tell you what, that 96/97 game though, I watched 25 minutes of highlights the other day and our pressing was outrageously good. Both of Berger's goals came via winning the ball off them high up the pitch. Kloppo would have been proud. 

33 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Did badge man stop going the game after Dave started on him?

IIRC, didn't some of the 'urchins' or whatever the remnants were have a quiet word with him and say 'look you're making us look like bad dickheads on TV every week, can you pack it in?'

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

IIRC, didn't some of the 'urchins' or whatever the remnants were have a quiet word with him and say 'look you're making us look like bad dickheads on TV every week, can you pack it in?'

The story was that he was threatened after the TV camera kept focusing on him at some European away. But he was always a marked man after his contretemps with Dave. 

• Upvote 2

Great podcast and agree with the lads. Torres fucks me off far more than Owen who was finished when he signed for united.

Never forget Torres giving the 'shussing' finger to Carragher when he bollocked him for not trying hard enough and then when Stevie scored down the Annie Road end, all his teammates went to celebrate with him except one who was jogging back for the kick off. I pissed myself laughing when Danny smashed him in the first few minutes of that chelsea game.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic