You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Burnley 0 (Aug 21 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

How great was that? Absolutely made up to have footy back at Anfield. 18 months. It’s hard to believe we’ve had to go that long without being inside Anfield watching the lads.

I know some got to attend last season but that’s not the same. I had no interest in going last season and I always said when I went back it would be in a full stadium.

So this was my first time inside Anfield since Atletico Madrid. So much has happened since then and not much of it good. The tribute before kick off to those no longer with us brought a lot of that home. Really emotional, poignant stuff. I feel like we were denied the opportunity to pay proper respect to some of those we lost and although this went a little way towards doing that, it’s not really the same is it?

The whole day was a bit surreal. Although it’s been a year and a half since I’ve been to Anfield, when I got there it didn’t feel like it had been that long. It was still a familiar feeling. This whole covid period has fucking flown by though. It’s hard to get my head around it. A year and a half since life was normal. It’s still not normal now but at least it feels like we’re getting closer and being back at the match is a huge step towards it.

Initially I was annoyed at being told I had to be in the ground so early but on reflection it was a good thing as I just loved being back in my seat. I was in an hour before and just sat there looking around, savouring it. I was on my own as my Dad has packed it in now as the winter games and night time kick offs are too much for him, plus he fucking hates VAR to the extent it’s ruining his enjoyment of the game. 

So it was a little strange being on my own but not completely alien to me as I’ve been going to the cup games on my own for years. I rang him when I got in the ground and he said he was regretting his decision to stop going. We’ll see if he feels the same when it’s -2 degrees and we’re playing Brighton or Norwich in February!

Being in early meant I got to watch the warm up for the first time in years. I used to do that all the time in the days before I started the fanzine so it was a nice change. Not something I want to do all the time though, as warm ups ain’t what they used to be. Back in the day it would just be a few sprints then everyone blasting shots at the Kop goal. Plus big Jan trying to hit the giant Crown Paints tin from 50 yards away. This wasn’t as much fun.

It went quickly though and before I knew it the game was kicking off. I liked the team selection mainly because I was giddy at the prospect of Harvey getting a start. I’m so excited about what we’re going to get from him over the coming years but I wasn’t expecting him to be getting the nod for this one so it just added to the sense of anticipation. With Fabinho, Ox and Milner unavailable he got his chance and he certainly took it. Fucking brilliant that lad.

I didn’t think we started the game too well and Burnley gave as good as they got in the opening 5-10 minutes. That didn’t stop them immediately going into time wasting mode though. We hadn’t even played four minutes before Pope was at it. Taking an age over a goal kick and helping himself to a drink while everyone waited around for him. This was after they’d been fucking around at a throw in too.

Mike Dean was on it immediately and had a word with Ben Mee. After that it wasn’t as bad, but then we scored after 18 minutes so there was no point them time wasting when they were behind. The goal put paid to that and saved Dean from having to deal with it.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 5

• dave u pinned this topic

I would very much like Burnley to be relegated this season. Though no doubt some shite struggling to avoid relegation would approach Dyche.  

Great report again and yeah lets hope normal is back to December 2019 normal (and I mean Covid not 20 points clear of our rivals, that would be nice) as soon as possible. 

That incident that MOTD showed annoyed me at the time. The Burnley player was well offside yet no flag despite linos being told to this season. Same happened in at least one other match. Just stick the flag up before someone gets injured.

12 minutes ago, bigal said:

That incident that MOTD showed annoyed me at the time. The Burnley player was well offside yet no flag despite linos being told to this season. Same happened in at least one other match. Just stick the flag up before someone gets injured.

There was an inconsistency between the way that lino dealt with offsides and the lino at the kop end who put the flag up straight away when the player received the ball. 

• Like 1

Good report. Agree about Dean - thought he let the game flow and got most things right except he should have given them a few yellows and clamped down a bit more  on their strikers.  Nice to have a game where we're not penalised  every time the opposition fall over. 

If Tsimikas keeps this level up then I think he should get quite a few games this year because we can't keep flogging Robbo to death. I can't believe Harvey is ready to produce that performance regularly but if he can then he's looking like fourth choice for midfield. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bigal said:

Spot on. There were actually FOUR Burnley frocks, all yards offside.

Dwight Downing, brilliant. 
Burnley = 2nd ball football. Burnley earned more than twice as much as Villarreal in tv revenues in 2019/20. Yet Villarreal still manage to do ok(!) without resorting to glorified Sunday league football. They’re entitled to play the way they want, but it’s bullshit to suggest it’s down purely to resources. 

Great report as usual, Dave. Feel you your dad and I can understand his decision. Might have been a better shout just to suspend his ticket for this season and see how he felt come next renewal?

Ive no problem with refs letting some rough and tumble go. I think many players have been throwing themselves to the ground or holding their heads to interupt the game. Remember that cunt fernandes squealing like a pig and wafting his arm in the air against us trying to make out he was badly injured and to stop our attack? I did think Dean let one or two challenges go that shouldnt. The two that spring to my mind are the leap into Joel and the clattering of Harvey.

Visiting keepers waste far too much time and hopefully, the refs will continue to jump on this especially in the first half but I wont hold my breath!

• dave u unpinned this topic