You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (H) - Sat 28th Aug 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

9 hours ago, J-V said:

Tsimikas should have been on a lot earlier for Robertson.

Maybe he could have sent him in Sadio"s position and left robbo on. He's better going forward than actually defending. He could offer something different. Great to see mo, elliot and trent combining so well yesterday, the right side was fantastic. 

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The lack of 'longer' shots is a bit of a hindrance over a 40+ game season. It probably costs us about a dozen goals a season.

I think chamberlain should've been brought on for this purpose. He's the only one in our squad that regularly hits the target from long range. The little Brazilian with a back problem would've been perfect yesterday.

10 hours ago, Red74 said:

No mate. Just going side to side for 45 minutes with the odd high ball lofted in from distance was all we could do yesterday as they had 10 men.

I know what we did do, I’m just saying the best way to get through defensive teams is quick passing and moving. Like (dare I say it) Man City do, or Arsenal when they were good under Wenger.

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I know what we did do, I’m just saying the best way to get through defensive teams is quick passing and moving. Like (dare I say it) Man City do, or Arsenal when they were good under Wenger.

Pass & move it’s the Liverpool groove 

Romelu Lukaku – CF

Met Matip and Van Dijk blow-for-blow, even when he was isolated in attack. Did a very good job holding up the ball considering the circumstances, brought his teammates into play in some dangerous sequences and got off a couple of very good shots – there is not much else that can be asked from a centre-forward in our position.

The above from the" we aint got no history" website who also reckoned the pen was contentious and Manc Taylor did them no favours, FFS

100 percent a penalty and the ref only let the game flow when it was liverpool on the recieving end of a foul. That's not bias they should rewatch the game, I was getting genuinely annoyed by the inconsistency of the refs decisions. It was an appalingly officiated game and he wouldn't of even given the pen or card if VAR hadn't pulled him up on it.

22 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

One point that needs making is that Tuchel’s decision not to take off a forward was totally vindicated. We could never relax because of their threat in the break, and we couldn’t throw everyone forward. 90% of managers take off a forward when a midfielder or defender gets a red in that situation, and it just invites pressure. 

He took off his no. 10 - Havertz. He is their 2nd most forward player and replaced him with a centre back 

19 hours ago, Red74 said:

Another thing that I could to get my head round was the timing of the henderson substitution and his replacement.

We’ve got a corner at the kop and he takes off our 6”2 captain for our smallest player. 

There’s an old girl who sits behind me and she knows her stuff. When she seen it was Thiago coming on she shouted out “oh what the fucks he gonna do”. Did raise a few laughs like but she was spot on.

Henderson was outside the box with Fabinho defending the counter for our corners 

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

100 percent a penalty and the ref only let the game flow when it was liverpool on the recieving end of a foul. That's not bias they should rewatch the game, I was getting genuinely annoyed by the inconsistency of the refs decisions. It was an appalingly officiated game and he wouldn't of even given the pen or card if VAR hadn't pulled him up on it.

Taylors use of the advantage law fucked us over a few times I think 4 fouls in our favour over the course of the game says it all.

I know we don't know how the second half would have panned out without the sending off and the 10 men may have actually made it more difficult for us.  But realistically I think Chelsea would have gone on to win the match so it was a good point for us in that respect, but it's concerning how much better they looked than us once they took control of the first half.  

Assuming we make no more signings Chelsea will finish comfortably ahead of us.

40 minutes ago, Moo said:

I know we don't know how the second half would have panned out without the sending off and the 10 men may have actually made it more difficult for us.  But realistically I think Chelsea would have gone on to win the match so it was a good point for us in that respect, but it's concerning how much better they looked than us once they took control of the first half.  

They’re just much fitter right now.  Our midfield is in dire position.

That’ll be a consistent problem this season tbf but can’t get much worse than how it’s started.

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

They’re just much fitter right now.  Our midfield is in dire position.

That’ll be a consistent problem this season tbf but can’t get much worse than how it’s started.

Yep the midfield situation will almost certainly come back to bite us on the arse, can't believe some people are so dismissive of it.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Said earlier in the thread I was made up when Kante went off. He’s brilliant him

2 hours ago, Moo said:

Im pretty confident we would had won the game if Chelsea had not got a player sent off. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Code said:

Im pretty confident we would had won the game if Chelsea had not got a player sent off. 

I was thinking the same. Momentum was with us after the equaliser, but it’s sometimes tougher to break down ten men just putting everything into keeping you out and playing on the break. Let alone a unit like Chelsea.

1 hour ago, Justice Negs said:

I was thinking the same. Momentum was with us after the equaliser, but it’s sometimes tougher to break down ten men just putting everything into keeping you out and playing on the break. Let alone a unit like Chelsea.

I agree with Dave's assessment. We would probably have had more chances against 11 men , but we would certainly have had more problems at our end also.

• Upvote 1