You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (H) - Sat 28th Aug 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

If a defence is massing in the middle and you have no height , the two obvious 'go to' tactics are the byeline and long shots. We tried the latter a few times in the early part of the second half with a little bit of success but then stopped trying , but made no efforts to get to the line as far as I could see.

5 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Bit of quick pass and move with some good touch is the go. Chuck in the occasional quality long shot or dribble skill.

No mate. Just going side to side for 45 minutes with the odd high ball lofted in from distance was all we could do yesterday as they had 10 men.

34 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Doesn’t have to be a run in from behind from 20 yards out. Running in and attacking the 6 yard box when the ball was out wide was what was needed yesterday instead of those aimless high balls to 4 midgets.

The only player doing anything out wide was Mo on occasion.  Every other fucker including Trent were inside hence Robbo should have been hooked well before he was and the sub for Tsimikas was correct though to late when made.  Our best chance was getting to the byline as mentioned above and similar to what Grealish did against an admittedly shit Arsenal team yesterday.  Alas we were relying on Robertson and Mane providing that both were shite.

We've seen it where the scenario is very simply that we have to break down a side that will not move out of its block and is totally committed on defending, it is hard for us. Most of the time, the teams that try this, we can catch them out before they set up in the low block but a very, very organized Chelsea side down to 10 men, it's exceedingly difficult to catch them out with a counter press or a quick transition. We're just not built for that kind of game.

This is where playing with a lone striker who has real presence in the box would actually help or if we had midfielders who flooded the box, but we just don't really do that. Don't think we'll ever do it. It's too much of a "plan b" and tbf, we're rarely in the situation we were in in this game. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There was no "behind" to run into in the second half. There was just a penalty box packed with a big load of huge, well organised and (let's be honest) talented players, aiming to do nothing but defend.

My main gripe was with the number of long, high balls we played in the first half - as if Harvey and Mo are ever going to win a header against Alonso or Rudiger.

I can only think the idea was to really press for second balls in those situations which we actually did pretty effectively before Bobby went off.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There was no "behind" to run into in the second half. There was just a penalty box packed with a big load of huge, well organised and (let's be honest) talented players, aiming to do nothing but defend.

I don't have a clue about anyone other than Liverpool these days, so I had to get the lad beside me to confirm who Jorginho was. Either way, he was absolutely brilliant. 

I don't get all the Tuchel love. He's not a bad manager at all but he's one of the luckiest manager's on the planet to get the jobs he's had. He's miles better than Fat Frank but if Chelsea expect to be in contention he will have to be a lot more adventurous than Chelsea currently are. A 1-1 draw against a fellow top 4 side with Russian mob money backing them while we are still a bit rusty is not a bad result at all. Arguably the two best defensive sides in the league also. Hendo and Fab will improve as will everybody else.

• Upvote 1

Another thing that I could to get my head round was the timing of the henderson substitution and his replacement.

We’ve got a corner at the kop and he takes off our 6”2 captain for our smallest player. 

There’s an old girl who sits behind me and she knows her stuff. When she seen it was Thiago coming on she shouted out “oh what the fucks he gonna do”. Did raise a few laughs like but she was spot on.

Just now, Red74 said:

Another thing that I could to get my head round was the timing of the henderson substitution and his replacement.

We’ve got a corner at the kop and he takes off our 6”2 captain for our smallest player. 

There’s an old girl who sits behind me and she knows her stuff. When she seen it was Thiago coming on she shouted out “oh what the fucks he gonna do”. Did raise a few laughs like but she was spot on.

Bayern don’t let good players go.  We’ve bought a dud.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

If a defence is massing in the middle and you have no height , the two obvious 'go to' tactics are the byeline and long shots. We tried the latter a few times in the early part of the second half with a little bit of success but then stopped trying , but made no efforts to get to the line as far as I could see.

I would have liked to see a bit more of those long shots. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Grinch said:

Bayern don’t let good players go.  We’ve bought a dud.

They were desperate to keep him. He was on the verge of re-signing for them before he decided it was time for a new challenge.

5 hours ago, Red74 said:

She was spot on? 

She sound clueless to me, Thiago should have come on a lot sooner than he did. 

Henderson was really poor, as was Fabinho. 

Please talk me through all the goals Henderson has got from corners. 

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A little kid behind me said to his dad "we need a second here" when it was 1-1. I mean, his logic is impeccable, like...

A little kid behind me kept saying how he hated this ref, I kind of agree with his point. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I would have liked to see a bit more of those long shots. 

Agree we’ve not that many players good from shooting at distance- Ox would be one of the better options I think he should have come on for that very reason 

10 minutes ago, Code said:

She was spot on? 

She sound clueless to me, Thiago should have come on a lot sooner than he did. 

Henderson was really poor, as was Fabinho. 

Please talk me through all the goals Henderson has got from corners. 

Why, what has Thiago done since he came here that would have made a difference in that game yesterday? He offered nothing when he came on other than more of the same.

That could have been Henderson’s big moment from that corner but we’ll never know now.