You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Davies: I have no regrets about Liverpool move

TLW

Ben Davies has spoken about his short-lived spell at Liverpool saying he has no regrets about making the move in the winter transfer window.

The central defender signed for the Reds from Preston for a minimal fee of £1.6 million in the midst of the defensive injury crisis that ripped the heart out of the title defence.

While it seemed like a signing from the blue, the scouting report on the 26 year-old was impressive for someone who had played his entire career in the lower leagues of English Football.

So there was a sense of intrigue in what he could produce along with fellow deadline day signing Ozan Kabak.

But while the Turkish international started his Liverpool career, Davies was nowhere to be seen. A leg muscle injury was firstly given as the reason but as the weeks progressed, the reasoning behind his signing seemed more confused with youngster Rhys Williams being used as a better option.

In the end it was Nat Phillips leading the defence with aplomb and Williams was by his side as the Reds clinched a improbable third place finish with Davies and Kabak watching from the sidelines.

The Davies transfer will likely go down as one of most bizarre of the modern era, but despite turning down the likes of Celtic for his Liverpool move, the man himself has no regrets as this week joined Sheffield United on a years loan.

The Sheffield Star reported Davies as saying:

image.png

“I have no regrets about going to Liverpool.

“I asked the main people around me at the time, my dad, girlfriend and friends, and everyone said I had to go for it.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime move and I’d take it again if the chance came up again, every time. Even though I didn’t play a lot of football.

“At the time you don’t know how it's going to go. I’m hoping I can get back in my stride quickly.”

Davies was restricted to a handful of pre-season appearances for Liverpool and understandably is excited about getting back to registering playing time with the Blades.

However he is still not willing to totally give up on his Liverpool dream.

"When I initially went in, I thought I would be in the mix to play.

"Obviously that’s different this season with world class players back but initially I thought I had a chance of playing.

“It didn’t quite go how I wanted but it’s not like it was a six-month deal, it’s three-and-a-half years, so there is still time – but this is the time to play games. 

“I feel I have more chance of playing here at Sheffield United. I was fifth or sixth choice at Liverpool but here I can see a route to regular football.”

“It’s good for my mental health to have a means to an end at the end of the week rather than just training and knowing that you won’t get an opportunity to play.”

View full article

I feel for the lad. We needed defenders but due to FSG's dithering we ended up signing a lad who was never good enough for us and was never going to be given a chance! We should have left him alone and let him go to Celtic.

I wish him well at Sheff U, he's got a fucking job on his hands there looking at their results so far!

• 3 weeks later...

And the defender admitted: "I was becoming aware that I was the fifth or sixth choice to play in the centre of the defence for Liverpool.

“When I joined Sheffield United, with the promise of playing games, it felt like I had finally been mentally released.”

5th or 6th choice?!?!

In your dreams, pal.

• Upvote 1

The big problem for him now is that he still has no experience of top-flight football. Ideally, he needed to go on loan to a Premier League club - probably one of the teams that came up who would have a better idea of what kind of player he was. A lot of teams are playing 3 at the back these days so he'd have stood a very good chance of actually playing.

14 hours ago, Trumo said:

The big problem for him now is that he still has no experience of top-flight football. Ideally, he needed to go on loan to a Premier League club - probably one of the teams that came up who would have a better idea of what kind of player he was. A lot of teams are playing 3 at the back these days so he'd have stood a very good chance of actually playing.

Most people who actually watched him play thought he was shite though and wasn't a stand out at Preston. He is probably bang on his level right now. 

18 hours ago, m0e said:

And the defender admitted: "I was becoming aware that I was the fifth or sixth choice to play in the centre of the defence for Liverpool.

“When I joined Sheffield United, with the promise of playing games, it felt like I had finally been mentally released.”

5th or 6th choice?!?!

In your dreams, pal.

He was at the time....