You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich City 0 Liverpool 3 (Aug 14 2021)

tlw content

While I'm delighted Liverpool won. there is a part of me that felt a little deflated at the ease with which the Reds swatted Norwich aside. I've only watched brief highlights, but I get the feeling that if those team met 100 times the result would be the same every time. You'd have to game things out for multiples of hundreds before Norwich would be able to fluke a win. Why should this be a problem? Because I don't share the optimism as I see the improbability of Norwich making the step-up to Liverpool being mirrored in the step-up from Liverpool to the moneybags clubs. Now, obviously Liverpool are closer to where they aspire to be than Norwich are to where they aspire to be, but the principle is the same. Man City can spunk £100 million on Grealish, safe in the knowledge that they can just go and get another one if it doesn't work out, and Chelsea can return to a player they let go for a fraction of what they are paying for him now without feeling the slightest sense of embarrassment. Meanwhile, Liverpool had to literally bag the best players in their positions in the world to make their two most expensive signings work out. Imagine the shit the club would be in if they had been as mediocre as the player who occupies number three in that list. To paraphrase what a wise man once said in another context, at the level Liverpool are operating you only got to fuck up once. Be a little slow, be a little late, just once. And how you ain't gonna never be slow? Never be late? 

On a more cheerful note, I'm going to the Chelsea game and am really looking forward to it. When I first went to the ground, Liverpool had gone six years without winning the title, and it only got worse in subsequent years. Not having that gnawing away at me...it'll be a refreshing change of pace.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Razoray said:

Besides the 14 games anomaly mid-season last year, when we had no fit senior centre backs and our best 2 midfielders joined them in the treatment room, we have 253 points in our last 100 league games. 

Why the fuck do pundits, football journalists and "experts" seem to think that we are 4th favourites to win the league. Those senior centre backs (plus 1) and midfielders are available. I really don't get it. 

Brendan Rodgers was actually asked on Friday in his presser if just between the 2 x Mancs and Chelsea this year. He gave us a nod to be fair to him but how the fuck do people who get paid to talk/write about football get to be this unknowingly stupid?

I've said it already on here. Not only do I think we have a great chance, I think we should be clear favourites.

On Sky on Sunday Darren Lewis who writes for the Mirror tipped us to win the League!

12 hours ago, suzy said:

On Sky on Sunday Darren Lewis who writes for the Mirror tipped us to win the League!

I've tipped us to win the league too. However I only look in the mirror. 

• Upvote 1

On 16/08/2021 at 14:07, CapeRed said:

Interesting to note that with the fans back most home sides won over the weekend. Ox was the only disappointment, also the feed I watched showed Virgils average speed was the slowest of all players , down to him reading the game so well and just being where he needed to be. 

And there were no drawn games...............

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 16/08/2021 at 20:22, Chocoholic said:

The players aren't the only ones with a spring in their step with fans and Virgil back. I could feel the buzz jumping out of the screen reading that, Dave.

Who knows? This excitement and positivity could take a couple of shots off your next round. Either that, or you'll just be so happy, you'll just play your normal round and not give a fuck.

Would be nice if it helped me hole two footers.

My buzz for this weekend has been severely dampened by all this staggered entry bullshit and the absolute farce over the new ticketing system. It's pissed me right off.