You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (H) - Sat 21st Aug 2021 (12:30pm)

Trumo

Another game that went exactly as I envisaged.

January's reverse aside, we've managed to create a lot of chances in games against Burnley, with a lot of poor finishing, last-ditch defending and Nick Pope playing out of his skin meaning we haven't generally got the goals our dominance merits.

We started both halves a bit sloppily but grew into the half and penned Burnley back. Fine header from Diogol and an excellent second from Mane, whose one clear strike on target result in a goal. Mo had one disallowed for offside and Burnley had to scramble efforts off the line at least twice.

Special mentions to (Ex)Man-Bun and Zorba. Both were excellent today. Elliott got caught on the ball a couple of times in the first half as he maybe didn't realise he'll get less time in the Premier League than he did against Championship defences. He settled quickly though and showed a really assured touch and maturity that belied his youth. Tsmikias got an assist, offered an outlet all the time and did his defensive duties with little trouble. That determination to retain possession while his shoulder was giving him jif certainly got the crowd on their feet. It's a bit like Robbo pressing like a rabid terrier against City all those years ago.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Don't need that kind of thing. I have a healthy libido and get strong erections from normal triggers, thank you very much. 

And don’t the local gym instructors know it.

• Upvote 1

Some thoughts.

1.  I overestimated my ability to walk from Bootle to Anfield and back and now my bastard feet are bastard killing.

2.  By last season's refereeing standards, Burnley would have finished with about 6 men, the dirty throwback yard dog cunts.

3.  We don't have to worry about Robbo being out. We have a proper left back who can handle repeated physical assaults and still outplay the dirty throwback yard dog cunts.

4.  Harvey Elliott is some player and he can handle repeated physical assaults and still outplay the dirty throwback yard dog cunts.

5. Joel Matip is one of the coolest existing humans.

6.  We are good; like, very very good.

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A word about the Burnley fans: with only a handful of exceptions, most of their chanting and singing was about their own team, with very little of the tired, clichéd anti-Scouse horseshit. Other visiting fans could watch and learn.

That's must have CD I bet. 

9 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A word about the Burnley fans: with only a handful of exceptions, most of their chanting and singing was about their own team, with very little of the tired, clichéd anti-Scouse horseshit. Other visiting fans could watch and learn.

Robbo took it well when they were singing Scotland get battered to him & the sit down shut up was quite funny too. ESP when they got  it sang back at them 2 minutes later 

23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

…with only a handful of exceptions, most of their chanting and singing was about their own team…

web-bagpuss-mice.jpg?width=982&height=72

We will hunt it, we will cunt it
We will cripple it with studs, studs, studs

We will cripple it, every little bit of it

We will put it in a hos, pit, al.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Henderson and Matip were superb. 

Salah was excellent. The little Greek was good in patches.

I’ve just heard that Trent was given MOTM on TV. Absolutely bizarre. Not even in our top 5 performers on the day.

We’ll need to play an actual midfield and start much more quickly against Chelsea. I’d have liked Thiago to get more minutes because we need him and Fabinho next week.

Trent was excellent today, I think sometimes we take it a bit for granted just how good he is. 

He has been given maximum points on the fantasy league today which takes in to account chances created etc.

Sadly I don't think Fabinho will be involved next week, understandably so.  A central five of VVD, Matip, Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago is the best in the league though. Hopefully we get to see it sooner rather than later.  

50 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Some thoughts.

1.  I overestimated my ability to walk from Bootle to Anfield and back and now my bastard feet are bastard killing.

2.  By last season's refereeing standards, Burnley would have finished with about 6 men, the dirty throwback yard dog cunts.

3.  We don't have to worry about Robbo being out. We have a proper left back who can handle repeated physical assaults and still outplay the dirty throwback yard dog cunts.

4.  Harvey Elliott is some player and he can handle repeated physical assaults and still outplay the dirty throwback yard dog cunts.

5. Joel Matip is one of the coolest existing humans.

6.  We are good; like, very very good.

And yet the pundits were surprised that we played so well.
Anyone would think we weren’t Champions 18 months ago!!! Seems like last season has affected their opinions of us.. 

Here’s to #20 and ramming it down their throats. 

• Upvote 1

Thoughts about the day.

Peter McDowall. I hadnt realised how much I hadnt missed him until he said 'And! For! Liverpoooooooool!' Fucking tit, where does he think he is, Maddison Square Gardens introducing Ali or Foreman? Get rid of this embarrassment and get George back doing the FULL pre match routine. Thankfully McDowall didnt have his usual 20+ minute stint of banality before the game but, I fear it may only be temporary.

NFC, what a clusterfuck this is, give me my fucking ticket card any day. I got to the ground early because my mates are in the ARE lower and they were concerned about entry times. Despite me saying you'll get in no matter what time you turn up, we got there for 11:15.

Id scoffed my tray of chips from the Lucky Star chippy or whatever it's called and on the way to the ground, stopped to take in Ray's magnificent portrait on the house on Wylva Road.

I marvelled at people with 'tickets' queue to get in Turnstiles K, try to get in only when the NFC gate reader didnt work, find the stewards look at their phones and tell them wrong turnstiles! Why could the stewards check these people while waiting to get in?

I watched a queue of 20 fans form, go down slowly as fans were backed out of turnstile K and directed to others or got in. Then another 20 formed a queue.

At about 11:40, I could see the queue was only going to get longer and slower as time passed so, switched on my mobi, enabled NFC and joined the queue. With the ticket open, I placed my phone on the reader. Guess what? It didnt work! So I moved it up, down left and right. Still didnt let me in.

The steward said switch to the barcode and put your phone in the reader. Hallelujah, that worked but what a fucking bother. Sort it out Liverpool, this is shit. Either increase the sensitivity of the reader or fuck it off and re enable the cards.

It pissed down after the game and I got fucking soaked!

Looking around the stadium during the game, I put the attendance at over 51,000 so am a little surprised at the official attendance of 52,591.

Anfield looked magnificent with fans in, I cannot believe it has been so long.

A great tribute to the players we lost since we've been away and Hillsbrough's 97th casualty brought a sense of respect to the day. YNWA was sung with a bit extra gusto. It still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I look at our first 11 and bench and wonder what the fuck some people want when they complain about us being outspent by the likes of Norwich, Villa, arsenal and some others. We had Thiago, Bobby, Gomez, Curtis and Robbo amongst the subs while Milner and Ox didnt feature for various reasons.

In the team, we had Hendo, Keita, Virgil, Joel and Jota. You can swap Hendo, Jota, Robbo, Thiago and Bobby and we'd still have a strong 11 and subs.

It was difficult to enjoy the game because I had 2 smelly meffs sat next to me. For goodness sake, get a bath or spray on some deoderant.

The score line didnt reflect our play but some wayward finishing kept us to a single goal which was well worked and nodded across Pope to open the scoing. Mo looked to have doubled the lead after a fine ball by Harvey found him in space to the right of goal. I couldnt tell from my position whether Mo was offside but the VAR check said he was.

Burnley were throwing their not inconsiderable weight around. Barnes was getting on my tits with his antics. Lightening doesnt often strike in the same place twice you lard arsed cunt. I couldnt believe Dean didnt give Matip a free kick in the 2nd half when a Burnley player manhandled him out of the way!

Sadio had a couple of good opportunites to score a second but either the final ball wasnt good enough or he didnt connect cleanly. That changed around the 70th minute when he scored a thumping drive into the net.

Alli again had to make some splendid saves late on in the game. Overall, all the players had good games. Keita was solid again, Tsimikas was good and showed a lot of commitment with a couple of blocks that got good applause.

I was well impressed by Harvey Elliott's performance. It's of course early days for him but he does look something a bit special even at this stage. It's really unfortunate Mo was given offside for that goal because Elliott's ball to him was superb and a quick piece of thinking.

MoTM for me was Elliott.

Next up are those pretenders chelsea next saturday with a 5:30 kick off. Might watch their game with arsenal tomorrow to see what they are like!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I have no problem with Burnley on the face of it, because on the face of it they should be relegated each season, with lots of suspensions. 

The bit I have a problem with is how they manage to stay up, with a ton of fouls given against them and yet usually near the top of the fair play league. 

They are pure shite, and that's by choice, not a lack of money, not bad luck, Dyche chooses to for them to 'go to war', and some referees seem to encourage them to do so, but will penalise others that do so.  

A useless black hole in the PL calendar.  

2 hours ago, Pete said:

And yet the pundits were surprised that we played so well.
Anyone would think we weren’t Champions 18 months ago!!! Seems like last season has affected their opinions of us.. 

Here’s to #20 and ramming it down their throats. 

Not only the pundits mate. Plenty on here were argueing a few months ago that we more or less needed a full new squad.