You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (H) - Sat 21st Aug 2021 (12:30pm)

Trumo

And so on to our first home game of the season. It's a lunchtime kick-off and I'd expect the fans to be in great voice. Hopefully the issues with the new ticketing and stadium entry system have been resolved, or at the very least do not cause the chaos that was evident at the two recent friendlies at Anfield.

What do I want from this game? Well, there is Drive, Intensity, Nous, Guile, Luck, Energy, Bravado, Effervescence, Risk, Reward, Ingenuity, Electric atmosphere and Style.

I don't ask for much.

In late March 1976, we met Burnley at Anfield in this fixture. At the time, we were neck and neck with QPR in the title race and were gunning for a second UEFA Cup title. We would face Barcelona soon afterwards in the semi final - a team that had the calibre of Cruyff and the class of Neeskens. We won 1-0 thanks to a Toshack goal to become the only Engish side to win there, a record that stood until 2012. As for Burnley, it was a routine win thanks to a double from Davie Fairclough. The first a header in the centre of the goal from about a yard out following a flick-on from a corner. The second was slotted away at the near post when a ball across the ball was dummied into the ginger goalgetter's path on the left of the area.

One of the greatest films of all time by one of cinema's greatest directors was atop the box office in March 1976. Scorsese. De Niro. Foster. Shepherd. Cinematic brilliance, written by long-time Scorsese collaborator Paul Schrader. He was living in his car at the time, and driving around New York and seeing people out and about at night, his own feelings towards the depravity on display gave him the inspiration to create what is probably Robert De Niro's most enduring screen character, Travis Bickle. I bet loads of you have mimicked the "You talkin' to me?" scene in front of a mirror. Some of you might even have gone down the 'aviators and mohawk' route. There's no doubt that Taxi Driver is iconic. It lost out to Rocky for Best Picture and Best Director, and to Network for the big acting awards. No shame in that as the Oscars are not the be-all and end-all, and both of those are excellent films in their own right. Just not as raw and thought-provoking as the tale of a Vietnam vet going through an epic case of PTSD. The 70s has left one hell of an outstanding legacy on the movie landscape.

The game last season (back in January) marked a first home defeat for us in the league since April 2017. We were poor that night, but Burnley benefitted from being handed a penalty late on for an offence that Sadio at the end didn't get the same treatment for. Burnley had gone years without being awarded a penalty in the league, so of course it was going to be us on the receiving end. That's how that shit was rolling in 2020/21. We lost, and it triggered an unprecedented run of home defeats, the likes of which had never been endured by even our very worst teams, never mind the defending champions.

We owe Burnley for that one. We might have got payback with a 3-0 win at Turf Moor back in May, but This Is Anfield. Take them to the fucking cleaners. Get the job done. Make it rain. A real rain that'll wash those alehouse fall-over-at-the-first-sign-of-contact cunts off the pitch. A shit paraphrase of a famous quote, but I don't care what you say. You talkin' to me?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

10 hours ago, lebron said:

I expect a similar line-up to today's, but I think both our outfield Brazilians will be back in the starting line-up here at the expense of Ox and Jota. 

Almost certainly 

In normal circumstances i’d expect an early kick off against Burnley to be a bit of a grind. Seeing as this is the first proper game at Anfield for 18 months though, everyone will be pumped up beyond belief and I don’t think they’ll be able to cope with us.

4-0.

• Upvote 1

Finally back at a full Anfield, it will be an absolutely joyous sight. Klopp and the lads will absolutely love it. 

Supposed to be going myself but a bit concerned about this digital ticket shite, seems like a completely disorganised and lacking in foresight.

We owe these fuckers one, they stopped us from having the perfect home record at home 19/20 and ended our near 4 year unbeaten home record. Set pieces will be no fun, they scored their typical goal against Brighton at the weekend and expect more of the same. Thankfully Virgil, Matip and Fab will be in and should make us much stronger both defensively and offensively from set pieces.

Id look to get Thiago and Fab into midfield for this one and get Hendo on for last 30. Gonna go for a 3-1 to the reds.

• Upvote 1