You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Aug 7-13 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Aug 7:

Leicester win the Charity Shield. City had a few players missing but so fucking what. When you spend that much one assembling a squad you don’t get the luxury of excuses. I’m made up they lost. It doesn’t mean anything but any time they end up without the trophy in their hands is cause for celebration. Well done Leicester.

Not only do City deserve to win nothing, they should have last year’s title stripped from them. Not just for the financial cheating, but for that Peaky Blinders mock up photo they tweeted out. Appalling business. Cringey bastards, they’re just the fucking worst. I expect Villa fans will be fuming at that though, so it’s not all bad I suppose. 

The really big news today though was Mo winning the pre-season table tennis competition. Three years in a row now. I knew within about 30 seconds of that video starting that Mo was winning it. He had his game face on and he rightly sees himself as the top dog at table tennis. He was never not winning that, he was like Michael Jordan in the playoffs. 

The video was good fun and I have two main take aways from it. Firstly, Karius was on his phone while everyone else was watching it and cheering people on. I don’t know why, but it annoyed me. I really shouldn’t care as honestly, who gives a fuck, right? I still felt a pang of irritation though.

Secondly, I love Robbo. He’s the life and soul of that squad, but I think if I was around him all the time I’d end up just yelling at him “DON’T YOU EVER FUCKING SHUT UP?!?!?” He’s absolutely relentless.

Over at the Pit, business is picking up. This is going to be one hell of a fun ride while it lasts. The Blues lost 4-0 at Old Trafford today and some of the travelling blues were signing “you’re just a fat Spanish waiter”. That’s going to get worse with every game they lose, and given how shit that squad is, they’re going to lose plenty. He’s trying to strengthen by signing Rondon and one of the Longstaffs. Why not get Matt Richie and Paul Dummett too? This is going to be fucking great. 

Sunday Aug 8:

L 1 Bilbao 1. Oh fuck. That did not look good for Robbo and now we can only wait and hope the scan results are positive. Good game though and we played well. We should have scored five but it’s a bit rusty in front of goal at the moment which is fine. Get it out of your system now and sharpen up for when the real thing starts. I’d be more worried if we were scoring five or six every pre-season game as it’\d be nailed on that we’d draw a blank at Norwich.

Mo hasn’t scored in pre-season but he’s looking really good. Norwich might be on the receiving end of a Suarez style beatdown from him next week. Let’s hope so anyway. Sadio looks to have a bit of a spring in his step again too.

Harvey was our best player today and I think it’s significant how much time he’s spent in midfield this pre-season. Not only that, he’s been in the ‘first’ team a lot too. Ox could have played today and Harvey could have been involved tomorrow night instead, but he was out there with most of the lads who will be starting against Norwich. They definitely have plans for him this year and I’m now more convinced than ever we won’t be signing anyone to replace Gini.

That starting line up next week is going to be interesting. I didn’t think Virgil would be risked on opening day but now I’m sure he will, otherwise why play him in this one? If Konate is lined up to start then you’d want him out there getting familiar with Joel. He’s not though, he’s in the ‘B’ team tomorrow night. The team at Carrow Road won’t be too different to what we saw today. Fabinho will come in, probably for Elliott, and we will presumably have Kostas in there now unless Robbo makes a miracle recovery. The game will come too soon for Hendo and Thiago, while Bobby needs to earn his spot back.

The new ticketing system is a fucking fiasco though and loads of fans couldn’t get in on time so the kick off had to be delayed. I don’t see the point of all this. There was fuck all wrong with the card system we had, it was working great. Now I no longer have a season ticket card, it’s all on my phone, which is shit. What if my battery dies or something happens to the phone? My dad isn’t going anymore which is a good thing because he wouldn’t have a fucking clue about any of this and his phone is pretty basic and wouldn’t be able to use the app anyway. I know the club make allowances for the likes of my dad, but if they hadn’t fucked around with the system they wouldn’t need to.

On the transfer front, West Ham are the latest club sniffing around Big Nat. Brighton and Southampton are also interested. This is great. Not because I want to see him leave, but when you think back to a year ago and the only interest was from Swansea in the Championship, and they didn’t follow it up with an acceptable offer, I just love that he’s now in demand from top flight clubs. Good for him, he deserves it the big unassuming hero.

Southampton want Ox on loan…..

155201f8-2001-4696-a9e6-0e67e67cc8b8_text.gif

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Good read, and especially pleased with your optimism being back! I think City and us will run away, with the other Mancs in third and Chelsea fighting it out with Leicester for fourth.

Can't believe we were 5/1 to win the league. If I had any sort of patience, I'd be onto that big-time.

On Saturday you'd have said to Robbo “DON’T YOU EVER FUCKING SHUT UP?!?!?” On Sunday he gets injured. That's on you!

On Friday you say 'This is going to be The Year of the Ox'. Then that performance yesterday. That's on you.

I was laughing when I saw Klopp do that to Pearce, and could imagine him having to go and wrap himself in cold towels for the burn. They don't like Pearce at LFC, do they?

Hoping that the reasoning for Bobbys and Sadio's extended out of form is because of the lack of crowds is as you've described and yesterday's performance shows great promise on that front.

Brentford's win over Arsenal is not their first ever in the top flight, but in the newly invented sport known as the Premier League They were in the old First Division in 1947, when, ironically, their last game was a loss to Arsenal. So it's fitting to see they're putting things right in style on their return.

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ox has killed me there.

I got done by twitter on the Brentford thing. Someone said it was their first top flight win but then I heard yesterday they'd been in the top division back in the 40s. Some sky generation twat did for me there.

Football's back, Dave.

You need to buck up your ideas, and sharpen up.

The Covid excuse is gone now.

On 14/08/2021 at 22:19, alles ist gut said:

Top, top "Nothing suspicious about Roma offering far too much money for Tammy fucking no-mark Abraham, no sirree" analysis there, Dave.

(Also it's less likely to be the year of the Ox than, say, Oxo cube sorbet to be the winning dessert on Celebrity Masterchef, but never mind...)

Top Celebrity Masterchef analysis there.............

• dave u unpinned this topic