You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: It makes no sense to add more players to the squad

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has given his clearest indication yet that he is more than satisfied with the squad at his disposal and is unlikely to delve into the transfer market before the window closes.

In terms of incoming players the Reds have been very quiet, only adding young French central defender Ibrahima Konate from RB Leipzig.

However Liverpool have been buoyed by the return to full fitness of Virgil Van Dijk, Joe Gomez, Joel Matip and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain while Harvey Elliott has displayed his blossoming talent throughout the pre-season.

While the loss of Andy Robertson with ankle ligament damage was a undoubted setback, Kostas Tsimikas is another player who has impressed of late and after a frustrating first season at the club the former Olympiakos man will be looking to make a real impression.

Throughout the summer Liverpool have been frequently linked to Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez and Renato Sanches from Lille, while PSV striker Donyell Malen looked a possibility before signing with Borussia Dortmund.

Throughout his tenure, Klopp has been staunch in his support for players that he has at his disposal.

klopp_pix.jpg

He is a manager that would rather see them succeed no matter how long it takes, than be someone who turns over his squad in a frequent fashion.

In the last few seasons that sense of loyalty has been rewarded with the club winning numerous honours on the domestic, European and global stage.

While some pundits openly question whether Liverpool still has what it takes to challenge, Klopp is in no doubt as he told  Danish network TV2 (via The Mail).

“Let's go through the squad. Do you want to buy a new full back? A new goalkeeper? We already have good players there.

“In midfield, we have players with a lot of experience, such as Thiago, Fabinho, (Jordan) Henderson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita. 

'In addition, we have exciting young boys in Harvey Elliott and Curtis Jones. In the attack, we have Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah, Diogo Jota, Xherdan Shaqiri, Takumi Minamino and Divock Origi.

salah7_600.jpg

While the other clubs that made the top four last season have forked out vast sums of money for reinforcements, Klopp is adamant that the need was not there for Liverpool at this point of time.

“If you want to buy such (top-class) players, you have to spend a lot of money. We do not have to do that, because the players are already here.

“You have to make changes from time to time, but then there must be room to do it. We do not want more players. If something happens somewhere, something can happen somewhere else, but it makes no sense to add more players.”

View full article

We are very capable of winning the league and or CL with our current squad,but it's a massive gamble on the fitness of players who've never stayed fit for a whole season before. And as said by Iceman,it's pointless keeping players who Klopp simply won't play either. Its a good job Klopp is the manager as I wouldn't trust anybody else.

Fans mostly get shit wrong but it seems whenever there's a consensus we are short somewhere it nearly always reveals itself to be true. Some are concerned about the midfield because we have so many players there that are prone to injury its like we specifically seek it as an attribute but for me we desperately need a clinical finisher it doesn't have to be some fancy name but a player you think with the service we can provide would bury their chances but who the fuck is that. We generally need more goals from someone other than Salah.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Love Klopp but no. I'm not knocking the team but it absolutely makes sense to add new players that can improve us and get rid of those who aren't good enough. 

That's pretty much what he's saying with the "If something happens somewhere, something can happen somewhere else" bit though isn't it?  

If we get rid of a squad player or two, we'll be getting a squad player or two in.  But we're not signing anyone without that, otherwise we'll have too many players hanging around doing nothing.  

Also we're obviously not spending big ones on a big one.  Pretty much what he said the other week too.

• Upvote 2

Klopp is a great manager but even greats have an ability to talk rubbish. Next he'll be moaning about too many international matches and flogging of the players for pointless friendlies. We can't do anything about internationals but it's well within our grasp to mitigate for it. Yet, the club hierarchy chooses not to, and Klopp is part of that.

57 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Fans mostly get shit wrong but it seems whenever there's a consensus we are short somewhere it nearly always reveals itself to be true. Some are concerned about the midfield because we have so many players there that are prone to injury its like we specifically seek it as an attribute but for me we desperately need a clinical finisher it doesn't have to be some fancy name but a player you think with the service we can provide would bury their chances but who the fuck is that. We generally need more goals from someone other than Salah.

A back up right back would be nice also. 

• Upvote 1

Midfield is the worry for me.

We have lost our most reliable and durable player in there, a lad who was ever present.....we are simply weaker in there for his absence IMO.

If the permacrocks are true to their career patterns we won't be able to rely on them again and even the assumed first choice three will likely miss a sizeable amount of games.

None of this lends itself to the sort of consistency, cohesion, understanding and settled set up we need.

• Upvote 1

Nothing there that has been said by Klopp that hasn’t been said in previous closed season breaks.

It’s manager speak for “we’re not showing our hand to anyone before we play our cards”.

I’ve no doubt if the right player, at the right price, became available then we’d be in for that player. We might already be for all we know.

We all know the script now though, where FSG are concerned, that we have to sell before we buy.
We have a squad of players and if Klopp wants to add to that squad then he has to get rid, because our business model doesn’t run to that of City or Chelsea for instance, where you can stock pile players and loan them out or just have masses of cash to keep them sweet.

We won’t be arsed about winning the domestic trophies because that allows us to concentrate on the two big prizes that carry the highest financial and reputational kudos, and so this season won’t be that much different from previous seasons in our priorities on the pitch.

As far as the players go then, Klopp has to place his faith in his medical and fitness staff and their opinion of who can perform at the highest level, when and for how long.

He will know that certain players are likely to break down more than others and who those players are.

Last season was spectacularly bad in terms of injuries and this closed season break is the first some have had in three years, so, in the absence of enough cash to buy a really big player, Klopp is gambling on us having fewer injuries and fresher players to mount a challenge on the two competitions most important to any club in the top six of the PL.

He must believe that the gamble is worth taking and that we can take off at the start while others bed in their new players, he must believe we have the talent and level required to be top of the pile at the end of the season, and we must believe he trusts the players to deliver.

It’s a risky strategy to me, and likely many on here, but we have to trust Klopp knows best and that perhaps it isn’t as risky as we think, and that he continues to show why he’s the best coach in the world, and the only coach that could walk into any other club in the world.

It certainly won’t be dull.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Unless you carry 33 players there's no way to mitigate against that kind of injury record in any team.

True but it would make sense to cut losses with players who always have issues and to be this restricted with the homegrown rule is poor squad management. You don't risk not being able to improve where you can because you've given Adrian a new contract or you keep Ox purely because he's English not that that is definitely case with him but we are carrying too many players we can't rely on. Shaq was probably signed because it was a bargain bucket opportunity, no idea why we got Ox and extending Origis contract to what seemed like some kind of reward didn't make sense he's not good enough, he's had moments but every single top flight footballer should be capable of moments. Having Origi for another year because we want what nobody in their right mind would be willing to pay isn't the smart move.

We have got too many players in some cases the club needs to reign its expectations in over their value unless they feel they can get what they want closer to the window shutting which is a risk especially if as usual we want rid before we buy. Nobody wants players to be a millstone around the clubs neck its not good for anyone 

36 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

What was your previous account?

Didn't think that was particularly controversial.

I think we need an extra player in midfield and upfront but we can't cover all positions sufficiently to protect against any issues.

You can plan around Matip, Ox and Keita and regulate there workload/buy new players to cover but impact injuries (van Dijk, Thiago against Everton and more recently Jones/Robertson) are always going to cause issues out of the blue. 

All last season has done is focus peoples minds on prioritising injury records over talent, that was rarely the primary issue in years past. We'd have never been in a position where people didn't want a player because he *checks random website that tracks players injuries* missed x number of days with injury x.

I know twitter is a cess pit but you had people demanding a third left back because we lacked cover when Robertson went down.

What else is he going to say? Its his job to galvanise the team, regardless of situation.

Theres no way he can be happy about this but his drive and passion will override anything else he feels I imagine. But last season at times he looked like a man out of answers, so i hope we don't get a repeat.

Still, these owners are shit, they will never convince me that they are here for the prizes and emotion of the game. They are running a business and that seems come first and it seems they are happy with minimum requirements, thats why I think they should sell.

No one is asking for oil owners just that we can buy a few players year in year out without scrambling for the balance sheet.

One thing is clear, any hope of Jurgen sticking around longer is completely dead unless we do the unthinkable and pull a CL or Prem winning rabbit out of the hat.

• Upvote 1

I genuinely don't think he gives a toss (rightly or wrongly), this isn't the squad of his first game in charge and he's been criticised on here this week for being too loyal to players.

If we take the midfield three as an example, the two players most want rid of are Ox and Naby. I think Klopp really likes both players and having lost Gini already I don't think him or the coaching staff want to be in a position where they have 3 new midfielders who, if history repeats, are unlikely to be available to play while he's drilling them on pressing triggers and how he wants them to function in midfield.

Replacing one midfielder absolutely, but if Gini stayed I don't think he'd have sold either of the other two.

16 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I genuinely don't think he gives a toss (rightly or wrongly), this isn't the squad of his first game in charge and he's been criticised on here this week for being too loyal to players.

If we take the midfield three as an example, the two players most want rid of are Ox and Naby. I think Klopp really likes both players and having lost Gini already I don't think him or the coaching staff want to be in a position where they have 3 new midfielders who, if history repeats, are unlikely to be available to play while he's drilling them on pressing triggers and how he wants them to function in midfield.

Replacing one midfielder absolutely, but if Gini stayed I don't think he'd have sold either of the other two.

Its not a question of personnel though its how available these players are. I like OX and Keita, i think they could be real assets for the team but like it or not Oxs body can't stand up to the rigours of football week in and week out and I think Naby has some sort of mentality problem much like Sturridge did. Thats makes them both unreliable.

I see we've arrived at the annual TLW foam party.  

Klopp's fuming, he's ready to leave because he can't have money etc 

Unlike many on here, Klopp is a fully functioning adult who understands the realities of managing LFC before he took the job - he won't be screaming blue murder and throwing his toys out of the pram, he'll be busy planning for the season.  There's no danger of Klopp leaving in a huff because he can't replace Origi.  He's a grown up for fuck's sake.

• Upvote 2