You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Plymouth Shootings

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Fair enough.

I'm not sure what you can do to stop it really. Millions of people have mental health problems and a large percentage will already be in the system from your everyday person who is anti-depressants to the more severe cases which will be known to the mental health teams.

There will always be people that slip through the net that aren't deemed a risk to themselves or others who can completely snap but that's very rare as most people aren't capable of such heinous crimes.

I don't see a fix.

The only fix is to wipe the human race off the planet, which is possibly in the post.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Fair enough.

I'm not sure what you can do to stop it really. Millions of people have mental health problems and a large percentage will already be in the system from your everyday person who is anti-depressants to the more severe cases which will be known to the mental health teams.

There will always be people that slip through the net that aren't deemed a risk to themselves or others who can completely snap but that's very rare as most people aren't capable of such heinous crimes.

I don't see a fix.

I agree.

And there are plenty of people who possibly don't even qualify as having a mental illness, or it's in a grey area, and yet the sheer numbers mean we couldn't do much about it even there was the will and the resources.

We clearly know more about mental health now than we did decades ago, and are more open about it as well, but many aspects of society are contributing to its rise as well.

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It would by the people on here, yes.

Nobody is questioning that the guy had mental health issues however so have many on here and I don't suspect any of them will go out and put a bullet into a 3 year old child with a pump action shot gun. 

But then again I guess that proves your point, who nows. I'm not comfortable with people blaming gun clubs or doctors for him executing 5 innocent people though. The guy was evil, mentally unstable or not. 

I’m not convinced that he had mental health issues beyond that which most people struggle with. Nor do I particularly agree with the idea that he was “evil” which might be considered interesting. I think he was just a nomark piece of shit who was convinced by the internet that he had some sort of entitlement without earning it in any way. Fuck him, forget his name and focus only on the victims

• Upvote 3

The extreme incel ideology that’s emerged over the past decade or so is way more than people not being able to get a partner. It’s really about male supremacy over women, with a group of men wanting a Gilead type of state, where women are chattels, but one open to all men rather than just the ruling class. Some of them are undoubtably mentally ill, but plenty of them are not. They’ve just bought into a very nasty ideology that’s been advocating violence and martyrdom to advance their cause.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

I’m not convinced that he had mental health issues beyond that which most people struggle with. Nor do I particularly agree with the idea that he was “evil” which might be considered interesting. I think he was just a nomark piece of shit who was convinced by the internet that he had some sort of entitlement without earning it in any way. Fuck him, forget his name and focus only on the victims

Yeah, I’ll go with evil 

8 hours ago, Elite said:

This.

Obviously some people with mental health problems slip through the system and commit atrocities, that will never be stopped but going on rampages like this can never be justified, whether you are seriously unwell or not. His mental health problems are no relief to the lives he's ruined and the families that will be grieving over this for their whole lives.

I’m still waiting to hear this ‘man’ had mental health problems

10 minutes ago, Elite said:

What does that matter if they commit an evil act. Was Fred West killing straight from birth? 

And I think you’ve got it there, about acts being ‘evil’ rather than the individuals themselves