You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich (A) - Sat 14th Aug 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

A quick round robin of other teams’ forums suggests that City, United and Chelsea are all contenders but that we are ‘a bang average’ side…

Yeah apparently its because we haven't splurged a sackfull of cash. Lads I play golf with have an annual bet on top four each season , winning forecast takes all. First one up, a Manc placed us 4th Behind Chelsea, the Mancs and City. His reasoning, we havent replaced Gini and City will be focused on the UCL.

7 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

No it hasn't and they weren't. Its appeared now as it falls into  inclusivity.

SO that was 6 or 7 years ago at least and a quick google search finds lots of instances of it being condemned.

Sung it myself so not absolved of any blame but it's not exactly a recent 'PC gone mad' thing.

• Upvote 1

Very early first impressions are that a lot of the second tier teams have got worse. Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves. Can’t see West Ham being as good as last season and the same goes for Leeds. 
Southampton were decent for a little period there a couple of years ago, they might get relegated this season.

It’s basically top 4, gap to Leicester, massive gap to the rest. The games against the other top 4 teams are likely to be decisive, I reckon, unless we get an horrendous run of injury luck like last season.

And lots of clubs have variations of a 'rent boy' chant or other chants with homophobic undertones aimed at rival teams so there are very few clubs who can claim to be innocent.

My issue is the thinking that it's only just become unacceptable, it's the right wing 'snowflake' argument that you can't say anything these days it's PC gone mad etc etc, when in reality those it impacts have always said it's not ok, Stonewall authored a report back in 2009 called 'LEAGUES BEHIND FOOTBALL’S FAILURE TO TACKLE ANTI-GAY ABUSE' that reference chants like that so the idea it's only just become unacceptable is bollocks.

It's taken longer for the average person to catch up with that way of thinking and you'll have the die hard 'I'll say what I want' types who'll never change but ultimately is your life impacted significantly if you can't sing that song?

Don't think anyone is saying it has only just become unacceptable as such, more a case of there being wider condemnation/it being objected to much more clearly these days as a a part of what is a much louder, broader and more prevalent conversation around stuff like this.

We should retire it and leave it at that IMO.

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

We all know the history and the context behind the 'chelsea rent boys' shout....i've joined in with it myself many times, but reality is that these days it just isn't gonna be accepted like it might have been in years gone by.

True.

You can't even chuck bananas or do monkey chants like you used to, either.

You're right, it needs retiring.

Anyone remember “ Mervyn…woo woo” that used to get sang at Mervyn Day? The less said about Everton’s Dalglish chant the better. Wasn’t long ago “does your boyfriend know you’re here” was getting sang at Brighton fans either. They are clearly all wrong, dont really get the homophobic angle with this one though if I’m honest. It’s basically saying they’re prostituting themselves isn’t it? Why is it homophobic?

Chelsea rent boys pre-dates the Abramovich era, we can go through the mental gymnastics of saying our version is purely a nuanced take on the death of football at the hands of the super rich and clubs who sell out to them.....but it all seems a bit of a Man City battered in the streets defence.

Isn't one of the stories that a well known Chelsea hooligan in the 80's was caught with a male prostitute and that was the original origin?

Dunno if it's true or an urban legend.

Ultmately it's all just a futile exercise in what about-ism. Chelsea complain about that song but do very little about chants relating to Munich/Heysel/Hillsborough etc, Man Utd complain about Munich songs but do little about rent boy chants/Hillsborough/Heysel and on and on. 

• Upvote 1

Defo came about in the rafa/Jose era when they became a proper rival.

Certainly wasnt sung throughout the late 80/90s.

As an aside before they became a Russian play thing ,they were always one of the noisier sed of fans.

Remember going there in 97 ish and the entire ground was rocking.

13 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

fucking hell reign it in a bit.

Norwich are awful. they are even weaker than they were two seasons ago. Their best player is a girl prancing about in the middle falling over all the time. We should be beating teams like this 2 or 3-0 as standard.

You can’t play that midfield against anybody else, Keita just coasted through the game and Ox was hardly involved.

We were better in the second half when we sharpened up a bit, no doubt the boss gave them short shrift.

As usual Salah, TAA, Jota were solid. Nice cameo from Firmino who looks like he’s rediscovered his passion again.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Salah was "solid"?

Fucking hell.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

A quick round robin of other teams’ forums suggests that City, United and Chelsea are all contenders but that we are ‘a bang average’ side…

3 days before the Palace game Chelsea supporters were worried that they lack creativity in the team.

Only thing that's certain is that no supporter is ever happy with the team and always want's more.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

We all know the history and the context behind the 'chelsea rent boys' shout....i've joined in with it myself many times, but reality is that these days it just isn't gonna be accepted like it might have been in years gone by.

I don't. Do tell...

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

3 days before the Palace game Chelsea supporters were worried that they lack creativity in the team.

Only thing that's certain is that no supporter is ever happy with the team and always want's more.

Not sure other supporters are worried that they think we lack creativity.

51 minutes ago, Lario said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Salah was "solid"?

Fucking hell.

But that's all he's ever been though, eh?  "Solid". Misses too much. Cuts back onto his left too predictably, doesn't pass etc etc

And on his way to being (goals per game- and sufficient sample size-wise) as good a striker as the club has had in its history.

And yet, there are those of us who would still wank over Fernando Torres more... a member of that "best team in Europe" team that beat Real Madrid 4-0 - and won nothing.