You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The reasons to be optimistic about the new season thread.

YorkshireRed

The old cliche we rested on our laurels, I think we've done it again. The 90s wasn't lesson enough. I think the only way we win the league this year is staying injury free and Firmino and Mane remembering how to play again otherwise I can see draws killing us. For me Chelsea look the best equipped to take the most points off the top 6 and that could be the decider.

Don't play Henderson  on the left of midfield again trying to shoe horn Elliot in. Elliot looks great but he's 18.

Weirdly I am optimistic about the season, ive no sense of entitlement that we should win it. I do think if we just did a bit more in the market we'd be stronger, psychologically better off and more imposing. Look at what signings have done for Chelsea I don't just mean improve their squad but everybody else is thinking shit they've entered the game.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Weirdly I am optimistic about the season, ive no sense of entitlement that we should win it. I do think if we just did a bit more in the market we'd be stronger, psychologically better off and more imposing. Look at what signings have done for Chelsea I don't just mean improve their squad but everybody else is thinking shit they've entered the game.

I think this is 100% true for fans.

But I don't think it's true for the people that matter - Jurgen and the players. I think they see us with the best squad we've maybe ever had, and think we can win a league and CL double.

Our front line is aging, and 2-3 seasons from now, they won't be able to sustain us at the kind of level required to compete for those kinds of trophies. But for now, for this season ... anything is possible.

6 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I think this is 100% true for fans.

But I don't think it's true for the people that matter - Jurgen and the players. I think they see us with the best squad we've maybe ever had, and think we can win a league and CL double.

Our front line is aging, and 2-3 seasons from now, they won't be able to sustain us at the kind of level required to compete for those kinds of trophies. But for now, for this season ... anything is possible.

Players autobiographies such as Gerrards mention the boost quality signings add to the psyche of the players who want to win things.

I'm doubtful 2 of the front 3 can sustain the levels they provided week in week out in previous seasons . Not 100 percent doubtful but I'm concerned. Outside of Salah there's not enough goals in this team unless Mane and Firmino step it up. We feel a little predictable, predictability is fine when we are at it when we play with a high tempo and keep the ball moving, like the tyson quote everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. Teams know all our play is from the flanks, it just seemed to me if we put someone through the middle who scares the shit out of them too there's only so many fires they can put out.

Jota can score I just can't put my finger on it there's something missing, it might just be a player that compliments his style or  him complimenting others the way firminho at his best does with Mane and Salah. Its just that Bobby spot on the pitch it needs magic and when he's not at it we look less capable. Its not just Bobby winning the ball back or grafting it's the playmaker aspect opening up the pitch a player who can read the game. Is Thiago capable of playing up there? but he's 30.. can Bobby really be that unique  maybe we just expect too much from players, with our grafting midfield options someone "like" Fernandes who is very creative and a threat but not exactly going to do the donkey work would be a solution. Maybe a dynamic midfielder can be an answer someone who can run right through the middle Gerrardesque I keep hearing Juslde Bellingham has those qualities. It feels like we are just missing that spark. 

Definitely 100 percent last season has unfairly effected my view on this team and its prospects rightly or wrongly it can be classed as an anomaly, I'm guilty of forgetting how good this team is but it needs to prove it was an anomaly, Elite teams should always be proving that they're the best regardless. I'm up in the air with it, I've no idea what to expect from the league or us its going to be an interesting season.

We can win the league this year, I just don't think we will. I thought I'd deleted that initial post wrote it out and thought fuck it and deleted.