You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The reasons to be optimistic about the new season thread.

YorkshireRed

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Cant see it myself.

Yeah crowds back, big influence and big bonus and should address the weirdness we saw last season with certain teams benefiting more than others.

On paper we have a first 11-13 that can match anybody in the league even City. 

But...

The rotation options at the disposal of City and Chelsea is what will keep them at the top. We can't really afford to rotate and they can, which means fresher players for them and probably less injuries.

Its good to see Taki and keira and Ox step it up a bit in pre season but they have to do it in the league and I'm still not convinced that they can/will or get injured in the process.

Would be happier for replacements for Shaq and Origi to bolster us a bit.

Chelsea haven’t finished above us in 5 years. They can fuck off.

I think it would be hilarious if we won the league and it would piss off so many other sets of fans even more so than last time.  The ones whining about FFP etc and asking Man City to save football the other year.

I think we will finish 2nd behind Man City again as they've got about 40 players they can call on. 

It all depends on injuries as the squad depth is shit. We will do our usual and sack off the FA cup and League Cup early. 

I'd love us to knock PSG or City out of the Champions league.

• Upvote 1

I think the back to back friendlies have shown that our squad depth is better then we think and we can actually put out a decent 2nd eleven they would be able to compete.

This would be my 1st eleven 

Allisson

trent 

vvd

gomez

robbo

fabinho

thiago

henderson

mane

bobby

Salah 

2nd Eleven 

kelleher

nico/Milner

konate

matip

timikas

milner/Jones 

keita

elliot 

ox

jota

minamino

if we can offload origi/Shaq/Phillips & bring in one more we’ll be in a good position to challenge for the title imo. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, devilsadvocate said:

I think the back to back friendlies have shown that our squad depth is better then we think and we can actually put out a decent 2nd eleven they would be able to compete.

This would be my 1st eleven 

Allisson

trent 

vvd

gomez

robbo

fabinho

thiago

henderson

mane

bobby

Salah 

2nd Eleven 

kelleher

nico/Milner

konate

matip

timikas

milner/Jones 

keita

elliot 

ox

jota

minamino

if we can offload origi/Shaq/Phillips & bring in one more we’ll be in a good position to challenge for the title imo. 

Id say that second tier is about position 8 to 5 with some caveats in Jota, Konate and Matip.

Chelsea are definitely weaker in that regard than City, who can basically put out a second first 11 in most respects. 

We will see!

24 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Id say that second tier is about position 8 to 5 with some caveats in Jota, Konate and Matip.

Chelsea are definitely weaker in that regard than City, who can basically put out a second first 11 in most respects. 

We will see!

City's 2nd string:

Stefan

Cancelo Laporte Ake Mendy

Fernandhino

Silva Herrera

Mahrez Torres Sterling

Chelsea's 2nd String

Kepa

Ampadu Christiensen Zouma

Zappacosta Alonso

Kovacic Barkley Loftus-Cheek

Hudson-Odoi Werner Ziyech

Our 2nd string 

Kelleher

Williams Gomez Konate Tsimikas

Keita Milner Jones

Oxlade Jota Shaqiri

We definitely need another match winner on our bench to compete with those.

Then, aside from right back and potentially keeper, we are better.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think it would be hilarious if we won the league and it would piss off so many other sets of fans even more so than last time.  The ones whining about FFP etc and asking Man City to save football the other year.

I think we will finish 2nd behind Man City again as they've got about 40 players they can call on. 

It all depends on injuries as the squad depth is shit. We will do our usual and sack off the FA cup and League Cup early. 

I'd love us to knock PSG or City out of the Champions league.

Second would be an amazing achievement given the absurdity of City. I think any team finishing within 10 points of them has achieved an awful lot more than they have.

It’s incredible how they’ve managed to render every trophy they win meaningless - not even Chelsea came close to managing that.

• Upvote 1

On 08/08/2021 at 14:22, YorkshireRed said:

I’ll admit to being moderately hung over. I’m still keeping the faith though. 

Out with a load of Leeds fans last night. They’ve only signed one player as well but they think they’ll at least qualify for the CL. Obviously the deluded fools have no chance, but I admire their optimism.

Even if they are a set of clowns. 

is there anything  better than praise and ridicule in the same sentence? Well done Yorkie

• Upvote 1

On 10/08/2021 at 12:26, devilsadvocate said:

Agreed. Funny how writing things down & looking at them shows how strong we are when key players aren't injured and we're not disrupting the side further by moving players around to plug holes.

On 10/08/2021 at 14:13, m0e said:

We definitely need another match winner on our bench to compete with those.

Then, aside from right back and potentially keeper, we are better.

Again, agreed. 

Our main rivals have so far signed a grand total of 4 players between them! Fucking 4. I don't see why some are acting so hysterical when Hendo, VVD & Gomez are all returning from long term injuries. No other clubs have that type of quality coming back into their sides. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Again, agreed. 

Our main rivals have so far signed a grand total of 4 players between them! Fucking 4. I don't see why some are acting so hysterical when Hendo, VVD & Gomez are all returning from long term injuries. No other clubs have that type of quality coming back into their sides. 

We've also got Thiago and Jota fresh and settled from the start, with a proper 4th centre half, and Jones and Elliot hopefully ready to step it up.

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

We've also got Thiago and Jota fresh and settled from the start, with a proper 4th centre half, and Jones and Elliot hopefully ready to step it up.

Ox, Minamino & Keita both look like might contribute more this season - although thats a back handed compliment because, let's face it, it'd be some fucking achievement to contribute less than they all did last season!

I fully agree we need another match winner, hopefully that'll come in some form before September.

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Ox, Minamino & Keita both look like might contribute more this season - although thats a back handed compliment because, let's face it, it'd be some fucking achievement to contribute less than they all did last season!

I fully agree we need another match winner, hopefully that'll come in some form before September.

Dream scenario is to upgrade Shaq, Origi and Minamino into 2 match winners. 1 will do for now.

17 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think I'd be happier if Origi is gone, not even necessarily a replacement for him, just knowing that he isn't plan b and Jurgen and the team have to think of something else.

Cheers for the momories, big man, but you've ran* your race.

*strolled.

*pranced