You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prospect Watch - 2021/22

Allan

Much like my loan watch thread, I intend to track the stats of some of the upcoming talents around the game this coming season, both from our youth squads and the hottest prospects around Europe too. I'll be tracking appearances, minutes played, goals & assists as well as goals conceded & clean sheets for any keepers.

Obviously, I can only track so many players given my own personal and work commitments, so I think I'll track no more than 10 from the start of the season up until the January transfer window when I might swap players around if they're not getting sufficient game time, or it becomes obvious that these players are going to become the next big thing.

Two of my personal picks will be from our youth squads, with Conor Bradley and Melkamu Frauendorf the players I am currently most intrigued with.

I'm open to requests from forumites on who I should track, so please do drop in your suggestions and I'll do my best to cover them. Ideally, I'd like a variation of players, so not all attackers if you could, please. I do have other players in mind from around Europe if suggestions are not forthcoming, or if suggestions are going to be centred around players of a single area/position. 

Prospect Watch

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

@Dynamite Do you rate the new signing for the u18s - Bobby Clark?

Know very little about the lad, I'm afraid.

As he's just 16, there's not a lot of information allowed to be shared on the lad.

The only real playing statistic that's available as far as I can see is that he made his U18 debut for Newcastle at the age of 14, playing just 8 minutes as a sub against West Brom back in 2019.

As you've probably seen from the articles, he's a very highly rated youngster at his age level. His old man wasn't a bad player back in the day, so he should at least have a good grounding.

These types of signings are always difficult as so little is actually known about the lad and very few will have actually watched him play on a regular basis, but folk get suckered in by the social media hype machine or more favourable local media coverage, calling lads wonderkids and such.

If a deal does happen, then he's certainly going to be involved with the Under 18s this season at least. I expect Kaide Gordon to be pushed into the 23s squad this coming season, so there will be an opening in the 18's squad for a wide forward. 

If he does sign, I'll keep an eye his progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Melkamu Frauendorf (Liverpool U18) - Scored and grabbed himself an assist in the 5-3 win over Stoke on Saturday.

Youssoufa Moukoko (Borrusia Dortmund) - came off the bench in the 87th minute for Dortmund in their 5-2 home win against Frankfurt.

Nathan Collins (Burnley) - Unused sub in their 2-1 defeat at home to Brighton.

Gavi (Barcelona) - Unused sub in 4-2 home win versus Real Sociedad.

Yusuf Demir (Barcelona) - Unused sub in 4-2 home win versus Real Sociedad.

Ilaix Moriba (Barcelona) - Not in the matchday squad for 4-2 home win versus Real Sociedad.

Kenneth Taylor (Ajax) - Not in the matchday squad for the 5-0 victory over NEC Nijmegen.

Youssoufa Moukoko (Borrusia Dortmund) - A start for the 16-year-old against Bayern in the German Super Cup this evening. Replaced in the 58th minute as Bayern powered to a 3-1 win. The lad had a decent game and had a goal rightly ruled out for offside.

Melkamu Frauendorf (Liverpool U18) - Full 90 for Frauendorf as the 18's thumped their Manc counterparts 5-0 in their own back yard. Frauendorf grabbed himself an assist for Oakley Cannonier's hat-trick goal.

Nathan Collins (Burnley) - An unused sub as we cunted Burnley in the bastard.

Yusuf Demier (Barcelona) - Came off the bench in the 62nd minute to make his La Liga debut as Barcelona grabbed a late draw with Athletic Bilbao at San Mames on Saturday evening.

Gavi (Barcelona) - Unused sub for the 1-1 draw at Athletic Bilbao.

Ilaix Moriba (Barcelona) - Not in the match-day squad for the visit to Bilbao.

Davide Frattesi (Sassuolo) - A start for the young midfielder as Sassuolo picked up a 3-2 win at Verona. Frattesi was replaced in the 83rd minute.

Youssoufa Moukoko (Dortmund) - Started on the bench before replacing summer signing Donyel Malen in the 79th minute as Dortmund were beaten 2-1 at Freiburg.

Kenneth Taylor (Ajax) - Unused sub in the 1-1 draw at FC Twente earlier today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Conor Bradley (Liverpool U23) - Full 90 for the young Northern Irish international. Credited with 2 assists on FlashScore. The young full back was the provider for our 2nd & 3rd goals, scored by Kaide Gordon and Max Woltman respectively, as the 23s ran out 3-1 winners in the mini-derby this evening.

Fair few I keep my eye on:

Gio Reyna.

We were linked, but I've always been sceptical about what he is, seemingly no outstanding quality. 

Alex Isak

Not young young now, but was well impressed with him at the Euros.  

K Dembele at Celtic, what happened to him? 

Florian Wirtz was the next big thing out of German football, but it seems he's not kicked on.  Similar stories to other players of recent times like Carlos Soler, Mikel Oyarzabel, Yari Verschaeren, Ryan Sessegnon, Alen Halilović, Lovro Majer, Takefusa Kubo, Marco Asensio, Malcom, Justin Kluivert...

14 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Conor Bradley (Liverpool U23) - Full 90 for the young Northern Irish international. Credited with 2 assists on FlashScore. The young full back was the provider for our 2nd & 3rd goals, scored by Kaide Gordon and Max Woltman respectively, as the 23s ran out 3-1 winners in the mini-derby this evening.

Curiously described as a midfielder, but, nonetheless, named in the Northern  Irish squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Lithuania and Switzerland and a friendly versus Estonia.

http://www.irishfa.com/news/2021/august/baraclough-names-ni-squad-for-september-fixtures

Youssoufa Moukoko (Dortmund) - Another appearance from the bench for the young striker, as he again replaced Donyel Malen, this time in the 84th minute.

He would be heavily involved in Dortmund's stoppage-time winner as his close-range effort was saved by Baumann before falling kindly for Haaland to smash home from inside the 6-yard box to give the home side a 3-2 win.

• 2 weeks later...

Conor Bradley came on against Switzerland last night in Belfast for Northern Ireland. Defensively, NI were pretty tight throughout and he contributed to that when he came on in the second half. The highlight however was him smashing into a tackle beside the corner flag in the opposition half and both winning the ball and leaving a wee bit in on the Swiss fullback Rodrigues. 

BBC NI Interview at the following URL: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58496577 

• Upvote 2

Been a while since I've had a chance to update this, so I'll update the spreadsheet with the stats that I've missed since my last update, but will stick to this weekend's round of games, in the main, for the little write-ups below.

Conor Bradley (Liverpool U23s) - Not involved with the youth squads this gameweek following his exertions for Northern Ireland during the international break.

Nathan Collins (Burnley) - Burnley play Everton this evening. Did make his Burnley debut against Newcastle in the EFL Cup prior to the international break, playing the full 90 and picking up a booking along the way.

Melkamu Frauendorf (Liverpool U18s) - Full 90 for Melkamu in a thrilling 3-3 draw away at Forest. A very strange game too, with the start of the second half delayed for an hour as 1 of the 2 ambulances required to be at the game had to take the injured Lee McConnell to hospital, as such, the second half could not start until the ambulance returned.

Ilaix Moriba (RB Leipzig) - Made the move from Barca to Leipzig on transfer deadline day a fee of €16 million and €6 million additional in variables. Was not involved in the 4-1 home defeat against Bayern.

Gavi (Barcelona B) - Started and was booked in the 20th minute in the 0-0 draw at home to Costa Brava. Replaced at half-time.

Davide Frattesi (Sassuolo) - Played 83 minutes before being replaced in a dramatic 2-1 defeat away at Roma.

Kenneth Taylor (Ajax) - Unused sub for Ajax in their 2-0 away victory at PEC Zwolle on Sunday.

Yusuf Demir (Barcelona) - Barcelona's visit to Sevilla was postponed on Saturday due to the international shenanigans in South America during the World Cup qualifiers.

Youssoufa Moukoko (Dortmund) - Unused sub in the 4-3 away victory for Dortmund against Leverkusen on Saturday.

Fabio Carvalho (Fulham) - As aRdja asked so nicely. Not in the matchday squad due to injury...

• Upvote 1