You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Aug 1-6 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Sunday Aug 1:

Jarrod Bowen is left out of a West Ham friendly and Twitter goes nuts with rumours he’s about to sign for us. One suggestion is it might be some sort of part-ex deal with Ox involved. Makes no sense at all that. Ox is a better player (not as a winger though, obviously) and we need all of our homegrown players because we’re right on the limit of the overseas quota. Can we not send them Keita instead? They can even keep Bowen if they like, just fucking take ‘Naby lad’ off our hands, if only so I don’t have to see another “make or break season for Keita” piece being pushed online.

So bored with it now. Every pre-season he does a couple of stepovers, makes a nice pass or two, maybe even chips in with a goal and we get it rammed down our throats by his weird little internet cult following about how he’s going to take the league by storm. It’s not going to happen. If he somehow makes it to the opening game he’ll be injured by the time we reach September.

Elsewhere, Schalke are rumoured to be about to terminate Ozan Kabak’s contract. That would explain why no-one has moved for him yet. I can see why we didn’t sign him but he’s a good player and he should have so many offers that they are coming out of his arse. Presumably everyone is waiting in case he’s a free agent. If that happens someone will get themselves a great bargain.

Maybe Leicester will pair him up with his fellow countryman Soyuncu. You can be sure the Echo will be floating it out there that we might be interested but there’s no way, even if Phillips leaves. We’ve got four top quality centre backs and if last season showed us anything, it’s that we can win no matter who we have back there. Using up an overseas squad place on a fifth choice centre back would be almost as stupid as giving one to a third choice keeper….

We won eight of the last ten games with a combo of Phillips / Kabak and Williams. So if young Rhys needed to play half a dozen games next season alongside any of the established four, I wouldn’t be concerned about that at all. Any time I think back to how last season ended it’s just hard to process how well we did with big Nat and Rhys back there when the stakes were so high. We had no margin for error but we kept winning. I fucking love those two lads you know, pair of absolute heroes.

On a similar note, I'd almost forgotten that Alisson scored a stoppage time winner against West Brom. I mean, obviously I'll never 'forget' it as such, but I had LFCTV today and they were showing random things from last season and that came on and I was like "Hahaha I'd forgotten about that" because I hadn't thought about it for months. That's doing it a massive injustice, it deserves to be tweeted out every day by the club account so we can all appreciate it on a daily basis. It was one of the greatest things ever.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
10 hours ago, tlw content said:

just fucking take ‘Naby lad’ off our hands

This should be the first sentence of every TWTWTW. 

10 hours ago, tlw content said:

... if Villa are representative of a wider feeling in football, then there’s some hope at least. 

They possibly are. As for "hope", I won't be holding my breath. 

Great write up Dave. 

I don't think I'll ever understand the Naby-truthers. What has he done at Liverpool to deserve that kind of adulation? I would understand if they were talking about Ox because he looked like he was building to something before his career got derailed by that injury but Naby has been nothing more than average.

I wonder how many of these reporters and fans who are defending Man City and running cover for the were talking about how the ESL would destroy football? It's why that whole thing was always a farce to me.

I agree with with you around Messi the backend of his career has really made me sour on him, he gives the impression that he has absolutely no love for Barcelona and would not mind to see them go under if it means he gets paid.   

5 hours ago, Mikhail said:

Great write up Dave. 

I don't think I'll ever understand the Naby-truthers. What has he done at Liverpool to deserve that kind of adulation? I would understand if they were talking about Ox because he looked like he was building to something before his career got derailed by that injury but Naby has been nothing more than average.

I wonder how many of these reporters and fans who are defending Man City and running cover for the were talking about how the ESL would destroy football? It's why that whole thing was always a farce to me.

I agree with with you around Messi the backend of his career has really made me sour on him, he gives the impression that he has absolutely no love for Barcelona and would not mind to see them go under if it means he gets paid.   

I think it’s this weird player following the player before the club  - if he signed for a team in France all these people would suddenly support that team in France. 
I wish we’d fuck him off.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic