You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi leaving on a free

Ron B

5 hours ago, Duff Man said:

305 assists, too. You can debate raw talent 'til the cows come home, but when it comes to consistent attacking output, Messi and Ronaldo are unparalleled. To score or assist at a rate of over a goal a game, for 15 seasons in a row, is fucking incredible.

Maradonna transformed an entire club who had barely won anything before and won them 2 Italian leagues and a european trophy.

He was also 1 game away from lifting 2 consecutive world cups.

I think messi and Ronaldo are incredible players but what maradonna did was legendary.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Maradonna transformed an entire club who had barely won anything before and won them 2 Italian leagues and a european trophy.

He was also 1 game away from lifting 2 consecutive world cups.

I think messi and Ronaldo are incredible players but what maradonna did was legendary.

Yeah he had an amazing career, no doubt.

When you look at pure talent, consistency and longevity it's hard to look past Messi as the greatest. Ronaldo is great of course but he doesn't influence his team the same way as Messi does, and Messi also has the advantage of not being a primadonna and hysterical fanny who isn't much liked by his team mates. Maradona was more talented than both of them and performed miracles for Napoli but he was washed up by 30 and didn't have the ridiculous goal records and trophy counts that Messi and Ronaldo possess, so I'd put him 3rd among those 3. Maybe 2nd, since I think Ronaldo is a bit overrated...

19 minutes ago, Baltar said:

When you look at pure talent, consistency and longevity it's hard to look past Messi as the greatest. Ronaldo is great of course but he doesn't influence his team the same way as Messi does, and Messi also has the advantage of not being a primadonna and hysterical fanny who isn't much liked by his team mates. Maradona was more talented than both of them and performed miracles for Napoli but he was washed up by 30 and didn't have the ridiculous goal records and trophy counts that Messi and Ronaldo possess, so I'd put him 3rd among those 3. Maybe 2nd, since I think Ronaldo is a bit overrated...

Messi and Ronaldo made great teams better.

Maradonna made average teams world beaters.

In terms of influence, I think he was unparalled. 

• Upvote 2

An alternative view for those critical of any potential PSG move. Yes, he will be fantastically remunerated and I’m sure that’s not in the ‘no column’ for him or those around him. 

There’s also an Argentinian manager, an opportunity to play in a league where he will be able to manage himself and still contribute as his physical powers inevitably decline.

Assuming Mbappe isn’t Liverpool bound, then anybody who loves the game the way I think Messi does must be excited at the prospect of playing in a forward line that will probably also include Neymar. 

He’ll win stuff, score goals, live in a great city and they aren’t without a hope of big ears given the level of investment. 

Obviously he’s taken a lot from the game in his time, but he’s given more than enough for him to do what he pleases in the twilight of his career.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think going to PSG was what he pleased.

No, I appreciate he’d rather be staying at Barcelona. But if that’s really not going to be an option (I’m still not 100% convinced there might not be a last minute development here) then I can see the attraction of PSG beyond the salary they’re offering. 

14 hours ago, Baltar said:

I don't want to live in a world where Christiano Ronaldo is rated a better footballer than Diego Maradona. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, KMD7 said:

I don't want to live in a world where Christiano Ronaldo is rated a better footballer than Diego Maradona. 

That would be a world where a genuine understanding of football, not one that comes only from some fancy statistical mumbo jumbo, is severely lacking.

See also the Summer Transfer thread. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

No, I appreciate he’d rather be staying at Barcelona. But if that’s really not going to be an option (I’m still not 100% convinced there might not be a last minute development here) then I can see the attraction of PSG beyond the salary they’re offering. 

He already lives in a mansion in Barcelona, if he wants to stay there then he can, and he could play for Espanyol.  In fact, that would be a tremendous move and would make Barca fall to bits. 

I actually like Barcelona though, and all this smacks of Messi being a massive dildo, which has long been the suspicion.  The fact is that he's held all their managers to ransom for 15 years now.  Him and his clique of 'lads', deciding if they like a new manager or swaying transfers. Fucking merkums. Look where it's ended up, some 34 year old dwarf cry-arsing with his 34 year old mates. I notice Xavi, Iniesta, Etoo, Ronaldinho, and Suarez aren't dropping by either. 

There comes a point where you realise it's been six years since they last won the big one, despite the presence of Messi and his mates.  They were closer to fourth than second in the league last season.  It's all dropped right off in terms of points in the league:

14/15 - 94

15/16 - 91

16/17 - 93

17/18 - 93

18/19 - 87

19/20 - 82

20/21 - 79

12 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Aguero not happy at Messi leaving. Talk of him having his contract looked at to see if he can leave.

Be great if they are scuppered long-term in the transfer market as players and their agents realise that it is not the promised land they've long portayed it to be. It would also serve them right for being so monumentally wasteful as well as for being tika-taka tapping-up merchants.