You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi leaving on a free

Ron B

26 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What a weird argument. Messi is Barcelona's employee, he's not a corporation. Barcelona were willing to pay him what they paid him. Since when does the fault lay with the employee in such a situation? Any rational person takes the money there. 

If he was a real fan, he'd be paying them and doing the landscaping.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Looks a proper top talent. If the rumours about him wanting 100k per week are true though, then it's another youngster being completely mismanaged by those he's surrounded himself with.

It's a tough one. I remember when we gave Raheem Sterling a 30k a week contact on the back of around 15 league games for us, I believe we also gave Solanke 50k a week before he'd even played a league game. Going even further back we gave a 16 year old  Dean Bouzanis 10k a week on the basis that he was the best in the business at that age group. 

For Moriba, if he sees the likes of Messi on 1.1 million a week and then other players on 500/600k a week he probably thinks that 100k is a fair amount. 

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You have a wholly unrealisitic view about all this, but fair enough. I don't think you can expect someone to work for free,  no matter the job or to cut his wages by such a percentage, especially someone of his calibre. That's just not how people are or how the workforce is.

I don't expect Messi (or anybody) to work for free, but how much does he need? How little is he prepared to play for?

He evidently values the money more than he values playing for Barca.

How many clubs can realistically afford to pay what Messi is prepared to accept?

He's marginalising himself massively, and that's entirely of his own choosing.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I don't disagree with the general point. But the way they threw money around i guess try and get it. The money in general tbese days is just crazy. Bang average players taking home 60 plus a week

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

It's a tough one. I remember when we gave Raheem Sterling a 30k a week contact on the back of around 15 league games for us, I believe we also gave Solanke 50k a week before he'd even played a league game. Going even further back we gave a 16 year old  Dean Bouzanis 10k a week on the basis that he was the best in the business at that age group. 

For Moriba, if he sees the likes of Messi on 1.1 million a week and then other players on 500/600k a week he probably thinks that 100k is a fair amount. 

Oh, absolutely. I get that it's happened in the past and will continue to happen and that clubs have certainly not helped themselves by throwing money around without considering how those on lesser contracts will react when it comes to contract renewal time.

From the players' point of view, you absolutely have to ask for the best deal you can get. Careers can be over before they get started.

Perhaps it was just the article I read regarding Moriba's supposed "demands" of 100k per week.

Any which way, Barcelona only have themselves to blame and I certainly won't lose any sleep over one of the most corrupt clubs in the World feeling the pinch that they've put themselves in.

This is on PSG and Man City and UEFA for allowing it to happen. They went and took Neymar from them, paid obscene money to him and the threat to do the same with Messi was used by the player to bring the club to this point. Its easy to say Barcelona were fools for allowing it to happen but did they have much choice?

• Like 1

Guest Alex_K

He could, of course, simply round out his career for the club that found him & helped (quite literally biologically helped) prime him for fame at a merely obscene salary, rather than uber-obscene.

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The state of modern football. What a fucking greedy shambles. Part of me would love the whole circus to collapse on itself. Unfortunately I guess there are a lot of 'normal' people who would also lose their livelihoods.

p.gif

Love that film. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The greed in the game has gone too far. You can't have permanent growth of wages season upon season, the bubble is going to burst at some point with clubs going to the wall.

God, if you’re listening. Please let it be Everton

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Laliga will buckle and he will resign on some dodgy contract offer, they'll pay him the huge wage but over 10 years instead of the 5 they planned to do it on

They’ll probably tell all the other clubs that they need to subsidise his wages so Barcelona can keep him.

• Like 1