You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi leaving on a free

Ron B

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

According to a leaked report made by Spanish publication El Mundo, Messi's four-year contract with Barcelona is worth €555 million (£491m/$674m)

Even this new 'cheap' deal was 65ml a year

His wages caused the inflation to the rest

Messi makes Barca a lot of money too. Not just through merchandise, ticket sales, TV deals etc but he's the main reason they ever win any prize money.

Just now, Baltar said:

I guess it depends on how you define "greedy". He was willing to reduce his pay by 50% even when he could get more at another club. Personally I can't blame him for leaving, Barca are in an absolute mess and will win nothing over the next few years. 

Don't get me wrong, Messi has done nothing at all wrong, but how much money does he need? He could play for nothing if he wanted to.

I think Messi's love of money is evidently greater than his love of Barca and possibly football itself.

Just my honest opinion.

12 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Messi is like the football version of Amazon. Lessons absolutely must be learned and no single player should be allowed to earn such a vast amount ever again.

His wages are so vast that he's effectively priced himself out of playing the sport he supposedly loves. Messi could play for nothing if he wanted to but quite clearly he values the money above all else. Shame on him.

FFP needs to be enforced and a strict salary cap imposed before top flight football eats itself.

What a weird argument. Messi is Barcelona's employee, he's not a corporation. Barcelona were willing to pay him what they paid him. Since when does the fault lay with the employee in such a situation? Any rational person takes the money there. 

He is, but these player x makes us x, just seem bullshit. Barcelona are a huge club and bring in money with or without him. More with him, but if he leaves they'll find another star in a couple of years and build around him. The previous board left them in the shit. And its the downside of the fan ownership people demand. The presidents are more concerned with winning elections than proper management 

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Don't get me wrong, Messi has done nothing at all wrong, but how much money does he need? He could play for nothing if he wanted to.

I think Messi's love of money is evidently greater than his love of Barca and possibly football itself.

Just my honest opinion.

I get that, his one month salary will be enough to last most people a lifetime but let's be honest, no footballer plays for free for anybody, no matter how much they love their club.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

What a weird argument. Messi is Barcelona's employee, he's not a corporation. Barcelona were willing to pay him what they paid him. Since when does the fault lay with the employee in such a situation? Any rational person takes the money there. 

Even if by taking that money it prohibits him from actually playing for them?

Like I said elsewhere, Messi's done nothing wrong, Barca have been hugely incompetent and irresponsible, but Messi could afford to play for nothing if he wanted to.

His love of money obviously dwarfs his love of football.

2 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I get that, his one month salary will be enough to last most people a lifetime but let's be honest, no footballer plays for free for anybody, no matter how much they love their club.

Then he's in a pickle. He needs to ask himself how much / little is he prepared to play for and which clubs can afford to pay that sum.

• Upvote 1

As soon as the oil money rocked up at PSG and Man City it created an opportunity for the agents of the very top players to say give Messi/Ronaldo X amount or he will go to City/PSG as they will pay it.

As long as those two clubs have those owners, that threat is always going to be there. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Even if by taking that money it prohibits him from actually playing for them?

Like I said elsewhere, Messi's done nothing wrong, Barca have been hugely incompetent and irresponsible, but Messi could afford to play for nothing if he wanted to.

His love of money obviously dwarfs his love of football.

You have a wholly unrealisitic view about all this, but fair enough. I don't think you can expect someone to work for free,  no matter the job or to cut his wages by such a percentage, especially someone of his calibre. That's just not how people are or how the workforce is.

From Sky Sports;

"A new investment in La Liga from CVC Capital Partners was announced on Wednesday and brought hope of a £230m windfall that would help Messi’s new five-year deal be financially viable.

However, sources in Spain have told Sky Sports News that Barcelona are – at the moment – opposing the CVC investment because they do not want to give up future revenue to the company, along with Real Madrid.

The deal was unanimously approved by La Liga’s executive board but the clubs are yet to vote on it and that is due to take place on August 12. However, clubs in La Liga and Segunda do not need their approval for the deal to be voted in"

4 minutes ago 

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

From Sky Sports;

"A new investment in La Liga from CVC Capital Partners was announced on Wednesday and brought hope of a £230m windfall that would help Messi’s new five-year deal be financially viable.

However, sources in Spain have told Sky Sports News that Barcelona are – at the moment – opposing the CVC investment because they do not want to give up future revenue to the company, along with Real Madrid.

The deal was unanimously approved by La Liga’s executive board but the clubs are yet to vote on it and that is due to take place on August 12. However, clubs in La Liga and Segunda do not need their approval for the deal to be voted in"

4 minutes ago 

Sky talking shite

The money wasn't allowed to be used for transfers, it was for club investments in stadiums,training and covid loses i read yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

We should go and try and get that kid Ilaix Moriba they've banished to the reserves because he won't sign a new contract.

Looks a proper top talent. If the rumours about him wanting 100k per week are true though, then it's another youngster being completely mismanaged by those he's surrounded himself with.

Just now, Dynamite said:

Looks a proper top talent. If the rumours about him wanting 100k per week are true though, then it's another youngster being completely mismanaged by those he's surrounded himself with.

When he saw Trincao get 140k a week after moving from Braga can't say i blame them

Just now, Lee909 said:

When he saw Trincao get 140k a week after moving from Braga can't say i blame them

Fair enough. This is true. You don't ask, you don't get. 

Still, if I'm someone looking in from the outside, I don't like the "demands" from such an inexperienced player, who though has a lot of potential, hasn't done anything to earn that sort of financial commitment. Yet.

Just now, Dynamite said:

Fair enough. This is true. You don't ask, you don't get. 

Still, if I'm someone looking in from the outside, I don't like the "demands" from such an inexperienced player, who though has a lot of potential, hasn't done anything to earn that sort of financial commitment. Yet.

I don't disagree with the general point. But the way they threw money around i guess try and get it. The money in general tbese days is just crazy. Bang average players taking home 60 plus a week

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We should have our players openly talk about how much they would love some of Barcas players here like the twats used to do with our players. 

Okay becayse of FSG they probably won't believe it but that club needs vultured.

Correct this would be really excellent, a series of videos where our players talk about select members of their squad stating how talented they are and how it would be great to play with them at Liverpool would be amusing.

I agree with those who are stating Messi has brought this on himself somewhat as his obscene wages which he/his agent pushed for are decent chunk of the reason why his club are in a mess. If I was at a firm where I had a reasonable understanding of their bottom line and they offered me a gigantic contract that I knew would impinge on their ability to operate both short and medium term, while I would still be inclined to take it I would know that conditions/operational performance would deteriorate, so I don't know why he's getting annoyed about that. Also their finances have presumably been hit by the pandemic why Messi feels he and the club should be immune to the ramifications of this I'm unsure.