You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi leaving on a free

Ron B

34 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Agreed. 

Their games against Troyes, Angers and Clermont Foot are going to be absolute classics.

PSG v Troyes will be the big game of  the season, an oil derby, Troyes are owned by the City group.

It's the type of game you join PSG for!!

10 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

He basically bankrupted barca.

Nah that Absolves their shitty management. While I don’t think he’s innocent of contributing, Barca offered him the cash and it’s their responsibility to make sure they can afford it. If they hadn’t spent fortunes on utter shit and paid them obscene wages they would have been fine. 

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Messi's press conference here on SSN.

Can't believe how much of a girl he sounds when he speaks..... 

Everyone around him has nursed him as the gentlest of mothers from the day he was 16, inflating him with an insane amount of money. Not exactly the recipe for growing balls, is it?

Look at the way he cried when he left Barca. Jezus, what a wimp.

2 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Everyone around him has nursed him as the gentlest of mothers from the day he was 16, inflating him with an insane amount of money. Not exactly the recipe for growing balls, is it?

Look at the way he cried when he left Barca. Jezus, what a wimp.

I was referring to the translator/voice-over. They're using a woman who sounds like Michael Jackson. 

7 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Nope, Barca bankrupted Barca. Messi made more money for them than any player has ever done for a single club.

Barca's ownership structure bankrupted Barca.

Ironically the membership model (versions of which some in the UK want to implement) has contributed to various periods of the club being on the verge of financial ruin (last two times Laporta has been the president to come in with the job of rescuing them). Pre-1998 the german league had similar issues with most of the clubs in some sort of turmoil.

No previous president could have come in and stood up to Messi because he was too powerful and a mandate of reducing debt and putting the club on a sound financial footing would have lost to some lunatic promising mad signings hence Bartomeu who just happened to be particularly bad.

3 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Nope, Barca bankrupted Barca. Messi made more money for them than any player has ever done for a single club.

I reckon that's fair, and he's certainly entitled to claim his share of it, and if Barcelona are willing to pay him it then that's theirs and his prerogative. But there's a difference between having the right to do something, and that thing being the 'right' thing to do whilst claiming that you love the club.

And Messi sat crying in his press conference when he announced he wanted to leave, claiming he loves the club. But I'm sorry, you can't say "I love Barcelona" whilst also saying "yeah but I want every cent of the money I bring in." He doesn't want to share it - so really he sees Barcelona more as a vehicle than a treasured institution. Maybe he thinks they'd just waste it - and he'd probably be right based on their transfer record over the past decade or so - but taking up a quarter of the wage bill by yourself and being a €100m+ a year cost doesn't give them much room for error either. I agree Barcelona bankrupted Barcelona - but Messi has played a major role in it as well: at no point in the last 8 years has Messi put the club significantly before his own demands. Like I say, he's entitled to do that but it also removes his right to be all "wah wah wah I didn't want to leave because I love this club more than anything."

I don't give a shit like. Barcelona are a cunt of a club, Messi is a phenomenal player but a total cunt, and he's gone and joined an utter shower of cunts who are symptomatic of the death of modern footy: the hoarding of all the best in one place. Yeah they'll share their wealth with other clubs - but only when they're taking prized assets from them. Yeah they'll bring exposure - but only as they stroll to the league title and stomp on everyone else in the process. Altruism but only on their terms.

Cunts all.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Manny said:

I reckon that's fair, and he's certainly entitled to claim his share of it, and if Barcelona are willing to pay him it then that's theirs and his prerogative. But there's a difference between having the right to do something, and that thing being the 'right' thing to do whilst claiming that you love the club.

And Messi sat crying in his press conference when he announced he wanted to leave, claiming he loves the club. But I'm sorry, you can't say "I love Barcelona" whilst also saying "yeah but I want every cent of the money I bring in." He doesn't want to share it - so really he sees Barcelona more as a vehicle than a treasured institution. Maybe he thinks they'd just waste it - and he'd probably be right based on their transfer record over the past decade or so - but taking up a quarter of the wage bill by yourself and being a €100m+ a year cost doesn't give them much room for error either. I agree Barcelona bankrupted Barcelona - but Messi has played a major role in it as well: at no point in the last 8 years has Messi put the club significantly before his own demands. Like I say, he's entitled to do that but it also removes his right to be all "wah wah wah I didn't want to leave because I love this club more than anything."

I don't give a shit like. Barcelona are a cunt of a club, Messi is a phenomenal player but a total cunt, and he's gone and joined an utter shower of cunts who are symptomatic of the death of modern footy: the hoarding of all the best in one place. Yeah they'll share their wealth with other clubs - but only when they're taking prized assets from them. Yeah they'll bring exposure - but only as they stroll to the league title and stomp on everyone else in the process. Altruism but only on their terms.

Cunts all.

I don't agree that Messi has never put Barca before his own demands. He agreed to defer and reduce his salary last year. Sure, most of their players went along with these cuts but he wasn't obligated to do so and could easily have told them to do one and insist on getting his full pay. Then recently he agreed to sign a new contract on half of his previous salary. Yes of course, 50% of what he was on before is still a staggering amount but he didn't have to agree to that, he was a free agent and could have left at that point to sign for PSG or City and get paid the same or more than what he was on previously. 

And I think it's unfair to question his love for the club just because he was on silly money. Does anyone question how much Gerrard loved Liverpool despite wanting to leave a couple of times, and being paid the enormous salary that he was on?

At the end of the day, nobody forced Barcelona to pay Messi the obscene salary he was on. Nobody forced them to pay £140M for Coutinho and give him a £350k a week contract. Nobody forced them to pay £109M for Greizman and give him £500k a week. Barca's financial mess is entirely their own doing and blaming a single player for their problems is not really fair.

I don't agree that Messi has never put Barca before his own demands. He agreed to defer and reduce his salary last year. Sure, most of their players went along with these cuts but he wasn't obligated to do so and could easily have told them to do one and insist on getting his full pay. Then recently he agreed to sign a new contract on half of his previous salary. Yes of course, 50% of what he was on before is still a staggering amount but he didn't have to agree to that, he was a free agent and could have left at that point to sign for PSG or City and get paid the same or more than what he was on previously. 

And I think it's unfair to question his love for the club just because he was on silly money. Does anyone question how much Gerrard loved Liverpool despite wanting to leave a couple of times, and being paid the enormous salary that he was on?

At the end of the day, nobody forced Barcelona to pay Messi the obscene salary he was on. Nobody forced them to pay £140M for Coutinho and give him a £350k a week contract. Nobody forced them to pay £109M for Greizman and give him £500k a week. Barca's financial mess is entirely their own doing and blaming a single player for their problems is not really fair.

In addition, Barcelona are not allowed to pay him less than 50% of his previous salary - something that would have been acceptable to Messi.  

Its quite funny seeing the likes of Sid Lowe and Graham Hunter taking little shots at PSG and money now. 

Don't remember them complaining during the Galactico era or both clubs players publicly tapping up other teams players each year. Seems that was all above board

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

He agreed to defer and reduce his salary last year. Sure, most of their players went along with these cuts but he wasn't obligated to do so and could easily have told them to do one and insist on getting his full pay.

He did that for Brand Messi, nothing to do with sacrificing for the club.

Not good press for the highest paid player in the world to be the one refusing a cut during a global crisis is it?