You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi leaving on a free

Ron B

Meh, not exactly a surprise destination after Barca let him go. It's a shame that one of the greats of the game has gone to a soulless, plastic club that's only been in existence for 50 years and have only recently become a big club because they've been financially doped by a Middle Eastern despot. 

You would think the fact that one of the top 5 biggest and most successful clubs in the world, in the second richest league in the world, couldn’t afford to keep the world’s best player (arguably), even though he wanted to stay, while a tin pot club in a farmers league who’s other teams are all in massive financial trouble can sign him up no problem at all, might give rise to a groundswell of opinion that the despot funded plaything clubs have completely fucked football and something decisive and long term needs to be done about it.

It won’t though, everyone will just go on about Barca being a basket case and Messi a greedy twat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont think anyone believes it on here but there's plenty about who do.

I've said before I'm sure The Echo/FSG love the constant stories due to the amount of clicks it generates and the idea that we can sign the biggest names. 

Liverpool signing Mbappe is akin to me shagging Dua Lipa. It doesn't matter how many times I link myself to it, its never going to happen! 

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

You would think the fact that one of the top 5 biggest and most successful clubs in the world, in the second richest league in the world, couldn’t afford to keep the world’s best player (arguably), even though he wanted to stay, while a tin pot club in a farmers league who’s other teams are all in massive financial trouble can sign him up no problem at all, might give rise to a groundswell of opinion that the despot funded plaything clubs have completely fucked football and something decisive and long term needs to be done about it.

It won’t though, everyone will just go on about Barca being a basket case and Messi a greedy twat.

The UEFA board looked into and all is fine.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/024e-0f8e67bdfaa8-8d3a23163a89-1000--nasser-al-khelaifi/

• Downvote 1

French football has delayed bringing in it's own version of FFP by two years because of Covid, they were looking to implement a system similar to La Liga with no more than 70% of turnover spent on wage bill (before Messi PSG's was up around 100%)

PSG basically have two years to shift a load of players unlike Barca who had a few months.

10 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Of course the level of spending is obscene, but I can't be the only one who's quite anticipating seeing a Neymar/Messi/Mbappe forward line in action.

Couldnt give a fuck tbh. Whingeing prima donnas on obscene wages. Not the game I love anymore.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

French football has delayed bringing in it's own version of FFP by two years because of Covid, they were looking to implement a system similar to La Liga with no more than 70% of turnover spent on wage bill (before Messi PSG's was up around 100%)

PSG basically have two years to shift a load of players unlike Barca who had a few months.

Well done La Liga.

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Or increase their turnover. I'm sure they can find a paper cup manufacture in Doha looking for some global exposure and is willing to pay €100m to appear on the back of their socks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's the hope for them, that Messi opens up new markets, although his contract has been structured so that the end of the guaranteed two years coincides with the projected start of these rules coming into force and they aren't tied in to a deal that forces them to make decisions they don't want to.

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Of course the level of spending is obscene, but I can't be the only one who's quite anticipating seeing a Neymar/Messi/Mbappe forward line in action.

Agreed. 

Their games against Troyes, Angers and Clermont Foot are going to be absolute classics.

• Upvote 2